Space; the final frontier. These are the voyages…

Started by david leigh-smith · 146 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

This will be my first (of probably three or four) contributions to the ‘iModeler at the Movies’ Group Build.

My childhood was defined, punctuated by, and comforted by this seminal TV show. My early years were not ideal, and being shunted from various locations and caregivers made me seek out my own family. I found that family in Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. My wedding cake was a three dimensional ‘Enterprise’ in 1992 (still married) and my second son’s middle name is DeForest (named after McCoy). Clearly, that surrogate family stayed with me and guided me. In a strange coincidence my one daughter was born on the 17th January; 1701, the registry of the Enterprise. This who know me here are aware of my deep feelings for that other Enterprise, CV6.

Rob Anderson @robertandy started a similar build two years ago (whatever happened to that, Rob?) as have one or two other iModelers (who don’t seem to be treading the boards anymore). This will be a ‘legacy build’ - my plan is to finish this by Christmas and present her as a gift to my first born, Connor, who knows exactly how much this ship means to me.

I’ve started the painting and definitely going for a more military and gritty feel about the ‘look’ of the 1701. Most people paint these ships in white but the ‘reality’ is that the original models were closer to battleship grey. There are so few parts to this that it’s quite the opposite of the normal procedure where it takes an age to get any real traction. This thing is building itself, and with one colour it’s all very ‘dead ahead, warp factor four’.

Also, I’ve purchased some really nice LED lights and fibre optics to light her up, so spent some time painting the insides black and taping the interior to try and prevent light bleed.
    Progress was going very well until I had one of my obligatory disasters at the weekend and I’m now waiting for parts for my airbrush.

So, this one has a definite deadline and will, for sure, not be three or four hundred posts long. No ‘five year mission’...

Live long, and prosper.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Great stuff David! I look forward to seeing the lights shine.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Beam me up, Scotty ! What scale is that beastie?

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 7 months ago:

"...fascinating..." 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Check out Trek Modeller on YouTube. He has some great tutorials on lighting these guys. (Also on painting if you do one from TMP on. I have the Polar Lights 350 refit and I am terrified of the aztec pattern! At least he makes a plug 'n play light kit for it so no worries there!) I like your method of light sealing the saucer section!

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Great choice David. I'll be watching this build. Live long and prosper!

• Profile Photo
    Chaz Sutherland said 5 years, 7 months ago:

I'm a big fan of the franchise and big fan of your work, so I will definitely will be tuning in to watch this progress. Great choice Dave. 😀

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Thank you for explaining why it is you do what you do for a living. I was thinking last week, watcing Dr. Blasey Ford,.that what she was doing that day was the proof she had learned and understood what she had been researching all her life to discover.

Makes total sense, David. Total. Sense.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

LLAP DLS!

• Profile Photo

Robert, she’s 1/600 scale. I did think about the 1/350 version to go with the CV6, rigging out the hydroponics deck, shuttle craft bay, and superdetail the bridge. But, I value my marriage, my sanity, and kids too much (not necessarily in that order).

@roofrat

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Josh. I’m quite happy to boldly go where several men have gone before if it saves a little time.

@jpatt1000

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Take her out, Mr. Sulu. Ahead, warp factor 4 ! Damn the torpedoes; full speed ahead ! I love the smell of napalm ...

Oh wait. I got carried away with quotes. Movie quotes for fun and profit. Stir Truk and all that.

David, I know what you mean about the crew becoming like family. While I was in college, we'd line up in the day room (where the ONE colour television was located) and watch each episode. We'd sit in the approximate area where each character would have been, as IF our day room had been the bridge of the Big E. (with a nod to the Aircraft Carrier of great fame) I became Captain Kirk because I could sound like William Shatner better than anyone else. (Some criteria, huh?!)
    DeForest Kelley (sp?) played a bad hombre' in a whole passel of cowboy movies, but he was usually pretty smooth and his character wasn't despicable like some/many were.

How do you like the young actors playing our favourite Sci Fi characters? I tend to like them. Too bad Anton Yelchin was killed (auto accident) as I think he was VERY good at portraying Ensign Chekov. As portrayed by Walter Koenig.

• Profile Photo

It’s life, Jeff, but not as we know it...

I thought you’d ‘get’ this build and the need to make it. One of my hopes for this GB is that people can take on a project that they’ve been thinking of over the years but needed a push to bring it to the bench. This is exactly that model for me.

Thanks for the support and the memories. Your influence on this site is appreciated by many, Jeff.

@mikegolf

• Profile Photo

Tom, you can tell a lot about a person from their ability to make sound (and correct) conclusions from scarce data. I appreciate the comment, not least because I’ve seen many ‘wounded healers’ who have not understood their experiences and just search for some redemption through their work.
    I too, watched Christine Blasey Ford and thought of kindred spirits. It’s one thing to live an experience, it’s another to “understand” it (as you say) it and use it healthily.

Thanks Tom.

@tcinla

• Profile Photo

Peace, and long life my friend.

@yellow10