Space; the final frontier. These are the voyages…

Started by david leigh-smith · 146 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 6 months ago:

This could be a new thread.
    Anyway, I am out of date because I have not watched TV for over 10 years. In that time, perhaps a few movies. So, I have many favourites, but what comes to mind now is:
    Monster Inc.
    Down Periscope.
    Good Will Hunting.

• Profile Photo
    Aleksandar Sekularac said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Peter,

being out of date doesn’t matter here. As you may notice, my top pics are all from the previous millennium. Newer is not necessarily better. It sometimes seems to me that an inverse correlation may be closer to the truth…

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Hi Peter, you must have missed my post on my finish of the Polar Lights Enterprise, here is a link to the article.

Our 5 week mission 🙂
    The Revell kit you are working on looks quite nice! Cheers!
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Rob, I’ve no idea how I missed this! Great build and I think we have a LOT in common. Thanks for this, Rob, much appreciated.

• Profile Photo

So, just to show that I have no OCD tendencies regarding the bench, just look at the rakish angle of that port nacelle...

I started organising the leds, all tested and good. And we already have a finished sprue!

Friday again, a new weekend beckons, and all is well with the world.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 6 months ago:

@asekular - I love your first two choices of movies, particularly Brazil (the director's cut only - not Universal Studios fakakte disaster).

Even nowadays, where the audience is visually literate enough to realize most of the SFX of 2001 are matte overlays, the story is powerful enough to overcome that knowledge quickly.

Of course, the best "insider story" of the movie is Arthur C. Clarke telling of how Stanley Kubrick had 120 feet of 16mm film to "burn off" in his hand-held camera after a day shooting the "fight at the water hole" and he threw the bone in the air and shot it, repeatedly. He and Clarke had been arguing for weeks of how to get from the water hoie to a space station, and that night they were watching the "dailies" (all the film shot that day, developed and screened) and saw the bone, and they both realized at the same moment that they'd found the answer to their argument - the 2-million year "flash forward" in which the bone becomes a satellite (and one with the Chinese communist insignia on it to boot) - that footage in the film is Kubrick's 16mm "burn off".

Back in the mid-60s, when the two of them were starting to work on the movie, they wondered "what will the world be like in 2001?" Kubrick decided to ask scientists who were "on the cutting edge" of technological development what they foresaw. Among the scientists they contacted was my father. Among his 150 independent patents is the patent for determining if a pre-stressed concrete structure is solid, without breaking it open - which is why you have never ever worried about the freeway dissolving beneath your tires. It's a free patent that transformed the concrete construction industry, because he did it as a government employee. As he said "If I hadn't been working for the government, we'd be billionaires, but if I hadn't been working for the government, no one would have ever asked me the question that led to it."

Anyway, my dad, a lifelong s-f fan he (introduced me to the genre I ended up writing in when he gave me a copy of "Foundation" at age 10) was very happy to get asked "what will things be like in 2001?" And he always loved telling the joke on himself about what his answer was: "I told them that by 2001, solid-state electronics would be released to civilian use - something that happened two years after I told them that."

• Profile Photo
    Aleksandar Sekularac said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Hi David,

Great start to the Enterprise! I feel under pressure to start my build now (which I did, but need to organize some photos).

BTW I’d like to apologize for highjackin’ your post, sort of, for all the film rant. But you wanted iModelers to go to the movies, so to the movies we went! 😉

@tcinla

Tom, thanks for that nice story about 2001 and your father. I really think this film shaped the way SF films are made since then. Much of its visual symbolism got embedded in our communication with many not even realizing it.

Brazil is my fav film of all times. Of course, the “directors cut” – this is the worldswide released version, while the “Love Conquers All” studio cut got released only the States I believe. I saw this film when it came to the cinemas - I was 14 years old - and it blew my mind. It shaped my views in so many ways and it made me understand things very clearly. Looking back, it is amazing and sad how similar our world became to this dystopian vision of Terry Gilliam back in 1985.

For the next 10 times I saw Brazil, I would permanently discover new details in the film. After that, I enjoyed watching it for pure empathic indulgence and goose bumps in pivotal moments. Terry sad that he wanted to make a film where a happy end is when the main protagonist goes insane and he did it. If someone hasn’t seen it, go, run to your closest movie-gettin’-place and get it! If you have seen it I’d highly recommend watching Battle for Brazil, a documentary with Terry Gilliam that deals with his later struggle with studios to release the film. It is excellent! You can find this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSdW24KhyJQ

Cheers,
    Aleks

• Profile Photo

Just a quick update; did a little work on the upper saucer nav lights and a couple other LEDs.

Aleks, you can High Jack the thread anytime. Love your writing and it’s always entertaining!

@tcinla - I think the contributions you are making to this group are just brilliant. Exceptionally insightful, touching, and a real boon to the guys here. You are an absolute gentleman, Tom.

• Profile Photo

Looks promising, David. I take it that the LEDs came with the kit.
    Looking forward to see it lit after assembly.

• Profile Photo

No, I’ve sourced the lights on my own, bagged them, tagged them, and have a lot to do in terms of wiring and hot gluing, etc. It’ll take more time sorting the lights out than the actual build. It has to be said that you were at least partly to blame for the inspiration!

• Profile Photo

Blame? Your choice my friend 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 6 months ago:

You gotta be Vulcan kidding me !
    🙂
    Love it... those lights will look amazing my friend.

• Profile Photo

David, since you're using fibre optics, I have seen many using too many LEDs for the job. Some use a single LED per fibre. The window looks as if someone had arc welder behind it. Just too bright for reality. I would even forget fibres unless I was to have window lights turn on and off, with fibres dispersed randomly.

Without fibres, I would make holes for windows, with a LED lighting the space within, just like a light globe. It will give a more realistic brightness. IMHO.

In using fibres, I would file and sand the dome portion of the LED flat, then bunch several fibres to the flat of the LED. Then foil the LED and 1/2 inch portion of fibres at LED _ without shorting its leads. This consentrates light into the fibres, and eliminating and light leakage through model gaps. Then you will have several windows per LED, which may be slightly less bright. Or you can use a higher resistance to dim the LED. Experimentations will always reveal what is best.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 5 years, 6 months ago:

So Spock walks on to the bridge one day with a prosthetic ear in the middle of his forehead ,Kirk says (you have to do the voice) "My god ,Spock what.. have.. you ..done?" and Spock says (voice again) "Well it's really quite logical captain, this is my right ear, this is my left ear and this is my final front ear..."

Oh dear me ,even by my standards that one is scraping the bottom of the barrel, Dave I don't know if I missed a bit but could you run through the rules again ,can we include already finished builds as I have already built my real screen hero's ,the X wing ,the Eagle transporter and the Austin K2 katy ambulace from "Ice cold in Alex" but there is loads of stuff I could go at.

N.

• Profile Photo

Well, I say blame because you made me think at the weekends, something I usuall6 manage to avoid. But seeing all your schematics and plans and electronics just made me reach for the fibre optics and LEDs. NO COMPROMISE!