Space; the final frontier. These are the voyages…

Started by david leigh-smith · 146 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I'm sure all of you remember Yoda's line in "Empire Strikes Back": "No! Do or do not! There is no try!"

That entire scene is so knowledgeable beyond just what it is: Luke get told to bring the ship up and says "I'll try." And Yoda says "Do or do not! There is no try!" Luke follows his training and brings the ship up out of the muck, and then says "I don't believe it!" and the ship falls back into the muck, and Yoda says "And that is why you fail."

The only possibility of achieving your goal is to take action. If you do nothing, failure is guaranteed. If you take action, you have a 50-50 chance of achievement.

Most of us are afraid to try. But I will tell you from 50 years of eventually achieving my goals, that taking action is the only way it happens. Otherwise, I'd still be some putz living a life other people thought was appropriate, that was killing me. In fact I might not have made it to now. As I told my mother 30 years ago when she told me I had done everything wrong in my life (not doing what she thought was right), six weeks after I gained membership in the Writer's Guild of America (100,000 people come to Hollywood every year wanting to be screenwriters; the Guild takes an average of 300 members a year - the qualification is selling a screenplay or being hired as a writer on a show). I looked at her and said "If I had listened to you, I'd have died of a heart attack five years ago, according to my flight medical examiner." (As with everything else, she didn't "get it").

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Doing is going with a decision. Trying is struggling with indecision. Nothing happens, good or not, until one makes a decision. So, the idea is that if you find yourself trying, stop. Make a decision, and if not good, stop. Make another decision. Don't persist with not good, or you will be back to struggling with indecision (trying).

Wonder what Spock would have said? Perhaps, "Fascinating. Peter sunk in water when doubt (indecision) took over".

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Love you guys...inspirational philosophy on a Sunday morning.

Carpe diem!

• Profile Photo

David, how's that paint job going?
    @dirtylittlefokker

• Profile Photo

David, are you sure this is the right colour scheme?

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Just brilliant, Peter. Made my day seeing that.

I’ve had no time at the bench at all in the last week, just too much work. Hoping to change that tomorrow.

Peace, and long life, my friend.

@tecko

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I thought that it was built in orbit?

• Profile Photo

On This Day…

10-NOV-2018, David became a grandfather. Congratulations.
    Now you have become the honorary family historian, of sorts, to pass family history to granddaughter and future grandchildren. I am sure you will become a grand story teller.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Something to Brighten your day!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks, Peter.

As you’ll have noted, my modelling is not very active at the moment. Work and being a new grandfather have taken up a lot of time. Your post really hits home as my family have a grand tradition of storytelling and even within my workspace I have achieved a status akin to the ‘village elder’.

I spent some time with my new granddaughter this evening and in a quiet moment asked her to grow into a person who appreciates compassion, truth, history, education, and being good to people. I think she was listening...

@tecko

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 5 months ago:

I am convinced that, regardless of age, language, or lifeforms, 'intent' is read by all who are open to it. It's what's in the heart that counts.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Peter, it is a true source of inspiration to know you are there. That you can take a meaning from a few lines in a post, and within that, reciprocate hope for our species.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Wow David, congratulations! You became a Grandfather the same day I became a Father-in-law. Very cool. I was excited to drop my little funny post on the page, and didn't really pay close attention to Peter's post. We send wishes, for a healthy and prosperous life for the new addition to the family.
    @dirtylittlefokker

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Congratulations to both of ya! David, I have 5 Grandkids and they're a hoot! I became a Father-in-Law about 10 years ago. A Job MUCH more important than iModeler, even if we do love iMod so much ! I DO understand! This is FINE company here. Village Elder or Village Idjit, it's all GREAT company. Congrats, you two! And Peter, too!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 5 months ago:

James that Sgt. Pepper Spoof is hilarious!