Spielberg Movie With a Shark Mouth

Started by Michael E Rieth · 154 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years ago:

@davem - what a man! You are awesome, my friend.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years ago:

Thanks David@dirtylittlefokker.
    Occasionally a misspent youth comes in handy!
    I originally thought of the shot in Jaws of Orca leaving harbour taken from Quints shack!

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 5 years ago:

CBI not PTO.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 5 years ago:

Note: I'm having the Picture Size Problem (square cropping) posted in iModeler Help & Support.

I was looking for a “pick me up” and coincidentally I needed a 1/48th scale pick-up truck bed for this model project I’m working on. Scratch building is relaxing and is a feel good “pick me up” when the tiny pieces come together with a satisfying result.

I do a lot of online research when model making and so I found a drawing with measurements for a 1940 Ford pick-up truck that would do the trick. I created CAD drawings and laser cut the parts. The fenders, cut from .25” basswood, were sanded to the proper shape, but had to be hollow, so I vac-u-formed two fenders from .010” sheet styrene.

I created the impression of stamped sides and tailgate by sandwiching 3 pieces of sheet styrene, one with the “hole”, one solid and the outer one with the inside of the “hole”.

Some .047” styrene rod, laser cut pieces (for the stake side post holders?) and the end result is a bed for a 1939 Ford pick-up truck.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years ago:

That pickup truck is a minor work of art all on its own Michael. I'm leaning more and more that it's the "1941" scene in Death Valley.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years ago:

I'm in awe of your talent, Michael! While I've seen "Jaws" and "1941," I'm not a sleuth like the others BUT ... I DO appreciate your work and applaud you.

Bravo!

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Since the "Jig is Up" and I can't show progress without revealing the Spielberg Movie With a Shark Mouth... here we go!

I have read a lot of comments, some very colorful, on the web about the fuselage join on the Hasegawa P-40 kits. I had no problem. Here is how I handled it. I removed the locator pins and sanded the edges flat slightly, which also removed any mold ejector pin marks. The vertical stabilizer is molded off center to the left, so I overhung the vert. stab and rudder of the right fuselage half off the edge of my granite slab. The forward and rear fuselage parts were glued, as well as, the parts for the window glazing cut out rear of the cockpit. I re-scribed all the horizontal lines, as the ones farthest top and bottom were slightly mismatched.

The wheel wells and cockpit were painted and weathered with washes and dry brushed highlights. I use a paint mixing stick with painter's tape, sticky side up as a holder to airbrush and paint individual colors.

I glued the wing to fuselage, checking the dihedral and put aside to dry. The fuse to wing join did not need any filler.

Olive Drab topside and Neutral Gray underneath.

Next time, "this shark be smilin' arrgghh".

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 11 months ago:

You led me and a couple of others on a merry dance, Michael. Been worth it, though; this is a fantastic thread with a little of everything. Really enjoying every frame of this.

Kudos, Michael.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 11 months ago:

I knew it! I frickin' knew it! Hah-hah! This is great. I love it.

• Profile Photo

I applied the decals. I needed 2 different decal sheets. Starfighter Decals to get the 6 National Insignias and U.S. ARMY. Hasegawa kit decals for the shark mouth.

I wish Spielberg had used a P-40 with a red prop spinner and the red, white and blue rudder stripes to really "trick" it out.

I still need to airbrush a flat clear sealer.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Well Michael, you got game. I wish I could get this sort of traction with my projects.

Top class thread, sir.

• Profile Photo

Alright, the Hasegawa P-40E Warhawk is done, except for some light weathering. I am on to finishing the pick-up truck.

I have been working on the buildings, trying out new and different techniques, as I work on the other components.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Michael - you might want to take some clear sheet plastic and make a canopy - alternatively you can get one at Squadron from their Squadron vacuform canopies. It's the only way to get a canopy that will actually fit, unless you opt to close it up.

• Profile Photo

Tom, thanks for the suggestion. I'm in "get 'er done mode" now. The canopy isn't glued on. I have so much more to research and scratch build. If and when I have time, I'll go back and tweak and improve what I can.

• Profile Photo

Since I'm making a 1939 Ford pick-up truck, I had to make the longer running boards. The materials are .156" evergreen angle, .010" diameter straight brass wire, and .020" sheet styrene.

I scribed 5 lines for the placement of the thin brass wire and CA glued the wire in place.

Starting to really look like a pick up truck now.