Spielberg Movie With a Shark Mouth

Started by Michael E Rieth · 154 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Looking great!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 5 months ago:

It's going to be worth the wait, Michael.

• Profile Photo

Something cool I just learned while reading an article about the making of Spielberg's first great movie, "Duel.":

Duel was something of lucky charm once Spielberg’s career began to take off, and he’d continually reference parts of the movie in subsequent films.

The Snakerama gas station seen in the film also appears in Spielberg's 1979 World War II comedy, 1941, with actress Lucille Benson again appearing as the proprietor.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 5 months ago:

So true. I mentioned "Duel" on page 4 of this build and we talked about it on page 5. I needed to reference stills from both films for the diorama, as Spielberg shot from different directions for both movies, yeah. There are differences, such as, no porch/porch, stagecoach, medicine show wagon, gas pumps/island cover, signage, etc., but the snake and reptile cages are in both.

The gas station exists today, although it looks different.

I found this site interesting. Anywhere near you? , http://www.thennowmovielocations.com/2012/06/duel.html

• Profile Photo

Up on the low desert. "in the vicinity."

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 4 months ago:

I found some time to do some more on the 1941 diorama and trying to get it done by the deadline. I worked on the layout to position everything. I had to compress the scene as it would have been well over 3 feet/1 meter long, with a lot of dead space. I angled the building/road so there would be less blacktop/asphalt road as it was dominating the scene.

I added chip board for the building foundation and the road. I needed a flat, raised surface to glue the buildings on and add dirt up to it. The ground cover is compliments of the gutter in front of my house, nice variety of different course dirt/sand/pebbles . I spread white glue and sprinkled the ground cover on it. The road has a quick primer coat of black, so I can see how the scene is coming together.

• Profile Photo

I'm getting closer to this everyday.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 4 months ago:

One of these days I'm going to have to watch this movie... you're really bringing this scene to life!

• Profile Photo

Greg, It requires a certain type of sense of humor, think Animal House goes to WWII. Many vets and people that lived through that time when a japanese invasion could happen any day, did not find the movie amusing.

My Dad had the same thoughts about the movie MASH and the TV series. He refused to watch it. He said MASH units saved lives including his during the Korean War, so it was nothing to laugh at.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Coming along nice Michael. You’re right about that movie. I remember my parents and a lot of other folks in our area not being amused by it.

• Profile Photo

When I thought, hey, I'll make a diorama of the gas station scene in the movie 1941, I didn't realize how much was involved. After working on it for 9 months around life and work, I still have a lot to finish according to my to do list. I don't think I'll get it done for the Christmas deadline, but I'll try.

• Profile Photo

Well, I did some major surgery today to make my running/shooting Capt. Wild Bill Kelso figure. I found 2 figures from the spares box, one a running Naval Aviator, not sure what kit he came from (Monogram?) and the other a crouching Army Airforce mechanic/crewman from the Monogram B-17 kit.

I needed a head with a leather pilot's helmet, wearing a leather flight bomber jacket, with the right arm raised to shoot a pistol and the left arm lowered while running. After some body part bashing, I think I came close. He still needs a pistol, a holster on his right hip, leather riding boots, the jacket zipped up and a beer belly made with Apoxie Sculpt.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Great job “Frankensteining” the figure!

• Profile Photo

Thanks John, after looking at photos again, his goggles should be around his neck, not on his forehead. I'm not sure how I'll handle that.

• Profile Photo

"About as useful as a screen window on a submarine", but will work on the diorama.