The Day the Music Died – The Glenn Miller Story Intro

Started by James B Robinson · 39 · 4 years ago · Glen Miller, Modelcraft, Noorduyn Horseman UC-64A
  • Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Been away from the bench due to Wedding Planning issues. Being the “Father of the Bride” and former Wedding Photographer, I thought it was going to be easy. WRONG………LOL, much love, turmoil and happiness has been flowing through the Robinson household the last few weeks. Just a few more days and November 10th, the deed is done!

From Wikipedia:

“Designed by Robert B.C. Noorduyn, the Noorduyn Norseman was produced from 1935 to 1959, originally by Noorduyn Aircraft Ltd. and later by the Canada Car and Foundry Company. With the experience of working on many ground-breaking designs at Fokker, Bellanca and Pitcairn-Cierva, Noorduyn decided to create his own design in 1934, the Noorduyn Norseman. Along with his colleague, Walter Clayton, Noorduyn created his original company, Noorduyn Aircraft Limited in early 1933 at Montreal while a successor company bearing the name, Noorduyn Aviation, was established in 1935.

The first Norseman, powered by a Wright R-975-E3 Whirlwind, was flight tested on floats on November 14, 1935 and was sold and delivered to Dominion Skyways Ltd. on January 18, 1936, registered as "CF-AYO" and named “Arcturus." In summer 1941, Warner Brothers leased CF-AYO for the filming of "Captains of the Clouds" starring James Cagney.

Until 1940, the Noorduyn Company had sold only 17 aircraft in total, primarily to commercial operators in Canada's north and to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. With the outbreak of war in Europe, demand for a utility transport led to major military orders. The Royal Canadian Air Force and the United States Army Air Forces became the two largest operators; the RCAF ordered 38 Norseman Mk IVWs for radio and navigational training for the Commonwealth Air Training Plan.

USAAF Colonel Bernt Balchen had been involved in establishing a staging route across Greenland to facilitate the ferrying of aircraft from North America to Europe. He required a bush plane rugged enough to survive in the harsh conditions of the Arctic. After evaluating six Norsemans diverted from a previous RCAF order, late in 1941, he recommended the purchase of the Norseman Mk IV specially modified to USAAF requirements as the YC-64A. After the US entry into the Second World War, the USAAF placed the first of several orders for a production version C-64A Norseman. Deliveries began in mid-1942, with the American military eventually placing orders for 749 Norseman Mk IVs as the C-64A (later UC-64A).

Throughout the Second World War, the USAAF Norseman aircraft were used in North America (primarily Alaska) as well as other in theaters of war, including Europe. Three UC-64As were used by the US Navy under the designation JA-1. Six C-64B floatplanes were used by the US Army Corps of Engineers, as well as by other Allied air forces, who placed orders for 43 Norseman Mk IVs.

It was a UC-64A Norseman (s/n 44-70285) flown by F/O John R. S. Morgan, tail no. 470285 from US Air Station 547 near Cambridge in which Major Glenn Miller was flying as a passenger when he disappeared over the English Channel on December 15, 1944.

It was also in 1944 that a Norseman crashed into King Alfred's Tower, a 50 m tall folly in Somerset, England, tragically killing all five air crew. The tower, part of the celebrated Stourhead estate and landscape, was not repaired until 1986 which included the use of a Wessex helicopter to lower a 300 kilograms (47 st) stone onto the top.

Here’s where I’m at. Finished the layout for the Diorama presentation. There is some concern about the accuracy for the representation for the Control Tower at RAF Twinwood. All though there are a multitude of images covering the grounds, there are no images that I have been able to find for the date of Miller’s flight.

Major concern is the painting of the Tower. Was it one color or the camo depicted in the restoration photos?

Or one from previous years?

I’ve drawn up the Dio with the closest measurements determined based on photos found on the interwebs. One curiosity is the apparent protrusion on the roof. Only thing I can think of is that it represents a type of Fire Wall. Interior photos do not show the proper representation of the location, but what I’ve laid out is close to the outside images.

The vehicles are just place holders at the moment. I have a Tamiya U.S Army Staff Car Model 1942 and am contemplating adding a British Tilley into the mix since the Brits operated this particular Airfield.

Once I finish reading Dennis Spragg’s book and get past a few builds lined up, I will update again.

MTC, James B

General Arrangement

First and Second floors

Roof

Elevations (Corrected thanks to Peter)

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Excellent planing and effort towards ground work for your diorama. Good on you James.

Just a thought, have you tried contacting (emailing) the people/base of the restored tower?

• Profile Photo

Peter @tecko, I've dug in deep on their website and a lot of others. There's not a lot of photographic information to sift through. Most of the websites appear to be fairly stagnant. I may reach out to them in the future.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I love the Glenn Miller Story, though I agree with Artie Shaw that "He had a very Republican band." You go listen to someone like Shaw, no two recordings of the same song are the same, the essence of true jazz. With Miller, being a formal graduate in Music from the University of Colorado with specialization in Arrangement, every version of each song is exactly the same (hence Shaw's comment). So the kids who heard him on the radio could hear the exact same song when they danced to his records at the Malt Shop and hear the exact same song when they went to a live performance. It's the essence of being "commercially smart," and while I don't like it as a creative person, I absolutely understand it and you cannot argue with success. (Though Artie Shaw is far more interesting musically)

I had the privilege in 1961 of going with my girlfriend to dance to the Original Glenn Miller Band led then by Ray Eberle at Elitch's Gardens in Denver, a place Glenn himself had played many times before the war.

My favorite moment in the movie is when Stewart is calling from a pay phone in Denver. Right behind him is the old Denver Public Library (the very "Roman Classical" looking "government building" right behind him in the shot), which was where I became the autodidact I am, and educated myself in spite of the Denver Public School System to be the writer you all read today. I actually made calls from the same phone booth myself.

• Profile Photo

Tom @tcinla, I concur. Being somewhat of a musician in my former life (6 years Intermediate and High School Marching Band/Orchestra and 1 year College Marching Band), I get it. We'd practice all the arrangements so many times it would become second nature to us. Never drifting away from the exacting measures and notes. To me, Miller will always be "Big Band" music while Shaw was in the same time period, he was more of a Jazz mentality. I love both forms equally.

• Profile Photo

A quick update thanks to the efforts of Peter @tecko. He graciously reached out to the Glenn Miller Museum (while I was sleeping) with a few questions and to my surprise and enjoyment received a very prompt reply. (I have corrected the Elevations image in previous post)

Apparently the "protrusion" on the roof is a reinforcing beam. Now being a designer of buildings, I can appreciate this as a plausible design, I am though curious even more now. The building is obviously constructed of reinforced masonry, the only reason for spanning across the entire width of the building would be to provide for a very wide opening or clear span inside. This is not very apparent with the limited amount of interior photographs available, but the top floor of the Tower does have an open span across the "Watch" office.

The Tower in a desperate state of disrepair. You can clearly see the brick facade over the masonry main walls. The reinforced concrete lintels are very apparent over the window and door openings.

This is the tower during/after restoration efforts taken 24 June 2010.

The most current image of the Tower taken 22 June 2014. Based on the Museum's response to Peter, I believe this to be the current color. Not sure if this is period correct, but they believe it to be accurate. I'll take there word on this subject. Kind of a shame, I was really liking the 'Camo' scheme.

The interior of the Tower, second level looking to the West. Notice the solid lintel above the window and door. It extends to the south or left of the door. This should represent the location of the roof beam.

MTC, James B

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

What a most excellent post and thread. What a project. What a plan. I am just blown away by this. The response to this Group Build is phenomenally impressive. The range of builds is amazing and this is a beautiful example of being inspired by a movie to really push the imagination and make something special; which is exactly what this is. Special.

What a project. Also, I think Peter is right; I’d get in touch with the society who maintain the tower and let them know you are doing this.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I agree with David. Though they already know that James is making a model, I think it would be good to provide them a link to this build. And when finished, a link to the finished article. I would even suggest that they could provide this link, into their website news, for interested others to view and watch this marvelous build come together. It could be an an 'interactive' portion to their own museum website.

@dirtylittlefokker

• Profile Photo

David @dirtylittlefokker, I was actually going to contact them today. In time zones, we are closer to each other than either of us is with Peter. When I had responded to his idea above, it was almost past my bedtime here and probably time for you to wake. Quiet the surprise this morning to receive a PM from Peter with the fact that he had contacted them AND received a response. I plan on contacting them later tonight from home and personally thanking them for their response to Peter. Maybe set up some good contact so I can share them some photos of the finished product.

• Profile Photo

Peter @tecko, very good ideas indeed. I will discuss this with them.

David @dirtylittlefokker,...you DO realize that I cannot maintain this serious stuff for very long right? I've got this other build for the group that is just screaming for some attention. Wink, Wink!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I’m playing the straight guy here; I’m well aware of that other build, James. But I’m not blinking first...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 6 months ago:

That's fantastic that you got that information. The result of this project is going to be Most Interesting.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Just got caught up with this threat James and I'm blown away. What a great addition to the GB,as well as an outstanding dio idea. BTY, I've build the 1/48 Tamiya "Follow Me" Jeep and it's a really nice kit. Could be an interesting addition to this project.

• Profile Photo

Hello Tom @tom-bebout, glad you stopped by. From all the research I have completed at this time, the base was primarily used by the RAF. Although it was transferred to the 8th in 1944, the RAF was the main force on the field. Aircraft operations included Blenheims, Mosquito IV's, A-20 Havocs, Beaufighters, Beauforts, P-40 Tomahawks, P-51 Mustangs and Hawker Hurricanes. It appears that Twinwood was only used for Cargo/Transport and possibly a divert field by the 8th to support RAF Thurleigh located 5 miles (8.0 km) north of Bedford, Bedfordshire. Thurleigh was transferred to the United States Army Air Forces Eighth Air Force on 9 December 1942 and designated USAAF Station 111. Its primary use was heavy bomber operations.

Based on all this, I am hesitant to use more than a Command car as a vehicle in the dio. I’m still leaning towards a British Tilly being parked next to the Tower.

Cheers,
    James B

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 6 months ago:

What a great project this is! I REALLY look forward to the completion, James. As Peter said, your planning is excellent.

My hat is off to you @jamesb and Peter @tecko and everyone else who do these wonderful dioramas!