The Day the Music Died – The Glenn Miller Story Intro

Started by James B Robinson · 39 · 4 years ago · Glen Miller, Modelcraft, Noorduyn Horseman UC-64A
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 6 months ago:

James I have a question. Did they use this same type of building on other airfields or did they differ between bases ?

If so would it be possible to get more pictures from other airfields that could show you something that you might have otherwise missed ?

I know that over here (stateside) during the War, they used the same type of buildings at various installations. A fine example of this would be barracks and even Quonset huts.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks Jeff @mikegolf, appreciate the kind words.

• Profile Photo

Hi Louis @lgardner, good questions. During my first searches for images, I found several that were labelled as Twinwood but the structures were obviously different. It wasn't until I found the Museum that I could be sure. I am in contact with them and they have copies of my drawings now. From what I can ascertain so far, the Control/Watch towers for smaller fields were pretty much based on the same design with minor differences. Some of them had an additional structure on the roof for observation. Look here http://www.ukairfields.org.uk/twinwood-farm.html. There are several groups dedicated to the history of Airfields and bases in Britain. Here is another one https://www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/

There actually are more buildings located very close, even attached to the Tower, but due to the size, I will not be including them. As it sits now, the base is going to be 1'-6" x 1'-6".

I'm all in for suggestions. Don't hesitate. Great part about being on this site is the collective minds.

Cheers,
    James B

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 6 months ago:

My hat is off to you James! I don't have time for this kind of in-depth research and planning - I just want to tackle the next build from my on-deck bench! I'm glad there are folks like you to dig into these kinds of projects, as they are very interesting, and combine the subject in the context of history (and I love history). Projects posts like this allow me to live some of this vicariously while not diverting my attention from getting through my stash! 🙂

• Profile Photo

Hi Greg @gkittinger, hope all is well in Tulsa. Any snow yet? 🙂 Thank you for the kind words. I thrive on history research so much so that I've developed kind of a knack for it. Comes in handy sometimes, other times it's just candy for the brain.

James B

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Louis - That was a "standard" design, they were "factory built" and came "knocked down" and then quickly assembled, used at most of the wartime termporary bases.

• Profile Photo

A step forward. Communication from Dave at Twinwood regarding the actual color of the Tower:

"Hi James
    Try RAL 6002 and drab it down a bit by adding a little black
    Dave"

MTC,
    James B

C O R R E C T I O N - 17 October 2019

Recent correspondence with the Twinwood Aviation Museum has brought to light that I made a mistake in believing the Control Tower was painted during war time. It in fact was only painted during the renovation period to protect the brickwork from weathering and further deterioration.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Well, that is quite precise.
    Be careful using the black, it's quite potent.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Time to brush this one off, pull it down from the shelf and get busy!

I've adjusted the name of the Article. Since I will be building multiple vehicles and a diorama I figured it would be easier to break it down into parts. In no particular order they will cover the Aircraft, The Vehicles and the Control Tower.

Stay tuned, the first one is about to start.