633 Squadron

Started by Tom Bebout · 14 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 7 months ago:

We discussed this idea earlier in the year and boy am I on board. I worked as a motion picture projectionist while in High School as well as in College. Back then you ran 6 to 8 reels of 35MM film thru a Simplex carbon arc projector and watched for those cue marks every 20 minutes or so to make a seamless switch from one projector to another. I love good movies and the subjects are endless. Just think back to those films that either told a good story, retold historical events, had larger than life characters, scared the hell out of you, had a surprise ending, or made you cry. Planes, trains, automobiles, ships, monsters, space ships, or memorial characters the list is endless. Have to give some thought to my builds but I'm in.

Enough thinking, this 1964 film was one of the first movies featuring aircraft that was shot in color and Panavision. They actually came up with 10 Misquotes for the movie and had 5 that flew. Not a real RAF Squadron but this fictional story has some scenes based on actual missions flown by Mosquito Squadrons. Cliff Robinson owned and flew a Spitfire at the time they made this movie and wanted to fly one of the Misquito's. However, for insurance reasons he wasn't allowed.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 7 months ago:

I'm with you, Tom. I, too was a projectionist for my "job" while I was in college. I didn't remember the specific machine, but I sure remember those carbon rods making that light upon touching.

Great memories.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Tom, like you I have movies running through my DNA. The wonder of film has, I think, been diluted for the generation coming through both because of CGI and the formulaic rubbish that gets made these days (@tcinla will no doubt agree). I’m hoping we get some memorable models in this group to reflect great memories that iModelers have gathered over the years in TV and Movies.

So pleased to have your support.

David

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Glad to be aboard David, as I mentioned above the subject matter is practically endless. And for Jeff Bailey these pics should bring back some memories. The young lady holding the CinemaScope lens would later marry me and we just celebrated our 50th Wedding Anniversary. David my feelings about CGI is the same as yours, it's seems to be used to add more gore and action but lacks emotion and depth of character.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 5 years, 7 months ago:

One of my favourite comedy movies is Ghostbusters ,childish I know but come on Sigourney Weaver in her prime is a thing to behold... and it's bloody funny as well, I think I've seen the car as a kit I'd like to come aboard with that, but is this like group build or an on going forum ?
    N.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for sharing the photos, Tom, they are fantastic and it’s real privilege to see them.

• Profile Photo

Neil, I’m with you on the Ghostbusters - although my tastes in regard to Sigourney roll more toward the first Alien movie...

This is now a formal Group Build so just open a new thread via the ‘iModeler at the Movies’
    Group and off you go.

Ecto 1 -

@neil-foster

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Ever since the Hollywood studios got bought by international corporations run by bean-counting widget-makers, things have gone downhill. These are not people who want to hear that the Three Rules of Hollywood are "Nobody. Knows. Anything." that it's all a crapshoot and it isn't till the Monday after opening weekend that one can discover if they guessed right or not. They want a steady 10% ROI. The result is the "tentpoles" running for 40 years and 15 versions of garbage after the first good one (Star Wars, I am looking at you!). Marketing means you can indeed convince people that dog kibble is steak, you just have to make sure they never get any real steak to break the lie. There's also the fact that the business got taken over by the trust-funded children of the upper class who have no life experience other than watching movies and TV before they go to Fillum Skool where failures (nobody with any real talent teaches at film schools - if they had talent they'd be working in the industry) teach them to parrot back, then they go "make what they know" - remakes of old movies and old TV (usually badly done in comparison to the originals) because they are essentially talentless. No amount of money will ever purchase talent. I remember 6 years ago being at a party for Roger Corman and The Greatest Actor of His Generation - who got his start working for Roger - was there and in a discussion of the current scene made the comment that if he had to break into modern Hollywood with the resources he had when he first broke in, he couldn't do it.

• Profile Photo

@tom-bebout Tom, yep - that does bring back memories! Matter of fact, one of my favorite "old dayz" memories is when I played Tinker Belle in the play "Peter Pan." No, I can't wear green & fly (no matter HOW much remembering I do) but I did use a carbon-arc spotlight, which has the same light source. The carbon arc lights could focus down to about an 8" (12 cm) circle. So here I stood, with that big, heavy, HOT, smoking light back end perched on my shoulder while I bounced around up & down, & side to side and all points in between, making that bright white circle flit around while someone else (a fellow female student said Tink's lines through the sound system. It was hard work ... but fun. Besides, since I was doing my job (lighting & sound) I was getting a whopping $1.25 per hour! (Minimum wage was $1.18 or $1.19 per hour so I was rolling in BIG Bucks!)

Congratulations on your 50the Anniversary! Billie & I will celebrate 32 in a few months. Where does the time go ... ?

• Profile Photo

@dirtylittlefokker David - this topic promises some really interesting things to come from it. I'm glad to be here! It has already brought back some seldom remembered memories on my part - and Tom's - and generated some interesting discussions. The best is yet to come!

• Profile Photo

Great choice, Tom. Loved the movie and I’m looking forward to seeing this develop. You are a star, Tom, and a gentleman.

@tom-bebout

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Congrats on the 50th Anniversary Tom, and 32 years is something to be proud of too, my fellow DAT brother. The misses and I are coming up on our 24th soon. Time does indeed fly by. Where did it go ?

Great choice Tom, of movie and subject to build. I'll be watching for sure.

• Profile Photo
    G. Ley said 5 years, 7 months ago:

"Marketing means you can indeed convince people that dog kibble is steak, you just have to make sure they never get any real steak to break the lie."

Want "steak?" Watch foreign films.

Here's a few:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_9th_Company ( 2005 - Probably, THE best war movie ever made. I was amazed at how it brought back so many memories of my Marine Corps enlistment, right down to the tragic drill instructor. During the film I kept thinking, "And this was the enemy we were supposed to kill? Hell, I have far more in common with this "enemy" than I ever had with the bastards creating and running these wars."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballad_of_a_Soldier (1959 - A tragic, anti-war film made amazingly enough during the peak of the Soviet era. The girl is a stunningly beautiful heart-breaker')

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TheThief(1997_film) ( A real gut-wrencher painting the reality of the Soviet era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodka_Lemon (2003 - A film portraying the utter bleakness of the post Soviet Era.)

These are Russian films, but the French (Joyeux Noël), Japanese (notably Akira Kurosawa), German (Das Boot), Spanish, (Butterfly's Tongue) and other foreign film makers create equally splendid films.

I quit watching Hollywood's sickening media output over 25 years ago, especially Television. It wasn't until I found Netflix that I went back to watching any films at all.

• Profile Photo

Just for you,

Point taken about Hollyweird, my friend. Now I need to get on Netflix...