1/48 Condor Legion double build - Tamiya Bf-109E-3 and Roden He-51.

Started by John Healy · 72 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Great progress John. And may I say it was well spotted to use the railway-font for the inscription! The font used is called "Bahnschrift", and was the one used for lettering on LW planes. I really like your double-build way of presenting these builds @j-jealy.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 4 months ago:

109 almost to the finish line and 29 year old Xtracolor 61 Brown sprayed on the Heinkel. A new tin of Xtracolor 62 Green will be used for the second camo color. God’s own paint!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Both look wonderful, my friend @j-healy!
    The Xtracolor proved to be a good, reliable friend!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Amazing progress, John @j-healy
    29 years old and still in good shape, great quality.
    I guess this is enamel.

• Profile Photo

Yes, John. It’s Hannants house brand enamel from the UK. Great stuff. All colors are gloss except for a few interior shades in their line.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Even considering it is a quality paint, you make it look perfect John @j-healy!

• Profile Photo

62 green applied. I went with 61 brown and 62 green over 63 gray for this one. Some guys believe that it was actually 70/71 greens used on top due to the darkness of the photos. I played around with some black/white photos of my tins of the paints in question. They all show up dark. I honestly believe it could’ve been in either scheme. I went with Aeromaster’s 61/62 suggestion simply because I like it and it’s different. Many references show this plane with blue undersides, unlike the majority of 51s which seem to have been given camo tops while maintaining the 63 undersides. It doesn’t make sense to me that some were painted blue while others weren’t. I left mine in 63 gray.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

To me these colors look perfectly fine, John @j-healy

• Profile Photo

Decal day for the Heinkel. I had to remove the rudder control horns to accommodate the the black cross. I’ll add new ones tommorow.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Decals look great , John @j-healy
    Pitty about the control horns.

• Profile Photo

Looks superb, my friend @j-healy! I agree with our friend @johnb about the horns, seems that was the only solution, though...

• Profile Photo

Getting close to the end on this one. Painted some smaller parts and details today. I also realized that I managed to mistakenly glue the aileron actuators to the top of the wing! I removed them and put them in their rightful spots on the bottom of the top wing. I need to pay more attention, LOL. I also finished painting the prop today. The center wood grain section is oil paint wiped over Tamiya acrylic sand. I’m not sure yet if I’m going to rig this one with wire or EZline.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

We're all human and make mistakes, John @j-healy
    You corrected it perfectly.
    The wood grain looks great.

• Profile Photo

Making such (usually worse) mistakes is the story of my (modeling) life, my friend @j-healy..
    Your He-51 looks wonderful!
    Looking forward to the rigging!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Your Henkel is look'n good @j-healy. I make a mistake on every model I touch, if not two. You have no worries here. Prop looks just fine. Sometimes EZ line looks too thick to my liking but it sure is easy to work with. I am going to try Ammo .03 Rigging (Ischi in disguise) on my next build. It looks just right in the package.