1/48 Hasegawa Bf-109G-10 a wonderful gift from Tom Bebout

Started by Louis Gardner · 60 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 2 months ago:

A little while ago, Tom Bebout @tom-bebout
    asked me if I would want this kit.

Being a die hard Luftwaffe aircraft fan, I couldn't resist the offer, so I told him I would indeed like to have the kit. Tom, (being the good fellow he is) was kind enough to send it to me.

Now here we are several months later, and I'm starting the build. My thoughts were to make it a simple project, in an overall RLM 76 finish like what was used on some of the Luftwaffe night fighters, looking something like this one from NJG-11.

So, without further adieu, here we go. I have painted the propeller and the exhaust so far.

Thanks again Tom @tom-bebout

You're the best. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

What a pleasent surprise, Louis @lgardner
    Very thoughtful of Tom @tom-bebout.
    Really looking forward to this 109 in full RLM76.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

A wonderful gift from a wonderful friend: what is not to like?
    Looking forward to this spectacular build, my friend @lgardner!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 1 month ago:

You know what @lgardner? I just might strap in to follow this build! (If you need decals for no 44 gimme a PM shout - I just might have a few in the stash - or for "43" that was the same uniform 76-finish)

And just a challenge for you - it was not often noticed, but either 44 or 43 also had a fresh-air sliding window built into the left side of the canopy! Might be able to PM a picture for you some day.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Here’s a few pictures of the progress I made on the 109. I’m pressed for time so I have to keep it short. I will definitely come back later and make a proper response to the comments that were left.
    The cockpit is ready to paint.

The fuselage is assembled and I have attached the upper wing sections on each side. You can slide the cockpit in from underneath.

The horizontal stabilizer is also in place. Even though the Hasegawa kit has been around for a while it’s still a nice building one.

As always comments are encouraged.

Thanks

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Nice progress, my friend @lgardner!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Looking nice, Louis @lgardner
    Eager to see the cockpit being mounted from the bottom side.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Hello again my friends. Wow, it's been 4 months since I have made an update here.

Finally, I have made some progress with the gift that Tom Bebout was so kind to send me.

I was on a roll and didn't take time to grab a few pictures along the way. You know how it goes when you are in the zone. The particular machine I want to build had the small tire bulges visible on top of the wing. None were included in this kit, since it was boxed as a G-10. Instead it came with the large bulges as an attachment to be glued in place on top of the wings.
    So I had to check out the parts bins, where I was lucky enough to find a leftover set from a previous Hobbycraft 109 build.

Sometimes it pays to squirrel away the leftover parts... 😉

The cockpit was built and installed after painting it. I used the kit supplied decals for the IP.
    Since I'm going to close the canopy, and it's going to be a box stock build, I didn't go crazy with it. Even so, it looks good enough for me "as is".

The underside received a little bit of LQS along the seam under the nose. Otherwise, no filler was needed. One other thing worth mentioning, is the radiator openings under the wings had a little bit of flash on them. A few swipes with a file took car of that.

Building this Hasegawa 109 this way has eliminated the need for any filler along the wing to fuselage joint. I definitely will be building more of them gluing the upper wing panels on first. Even though these kits are considered by some to be dated, they still fit and build up very nicely.

Hopefully this one will get painted in overall RLM 76 soon.

Does anyone know what color these wheel wells could have been ? I'm guessing they could be RLM 02 or 76. It's hard to know for sure, since this likely was repainted in the field.

As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Looks great, Louis (@lgardner). It's good to see you have joined the 109 squad. Tom (@tom-bebout) is amazing. He sprinkles his kits all over the place. He sent me the Hurricane I just finished. Thanks again, Tom. I'm not an expert on 109s, but I would guess RLM 02. If the canvas part is depicted, I suspect it would be whatever color unpainted canvas is. Cheers

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Thanks George, @gblair

I agree that Tom Bebout @tom-bebout
    is a great fellow. We are lucky to have him here with us spreading cheer.

I made some more progress, and hopefully tomorrow I will be spraying on some RLM 76. I'm thinking like you are about the wheel well colors. Chances are, this plane would not have had fresh RLM 76 painted on top of existing 76, especially at this later stage in the War.

So RLM 02 it is !

Here are some pictures showing tonight's progress.

I assembled the main landing gear, and will spray them using 02 on everything on the inside of the gear covers, using 76 on the outside.

The ETC centerline rack was added. It's barely visible in the photos I have of the plane I want to build. The flaps were added, along with the aileron counter balance weights, Morane mast, and under the nose mounted oil cooler.

Switching over to the top side, the gun sight, and all of the clear bits were installed. I also added the various antennae's. Some minor sanding was done around the landing gear wheel bumps on top of the wings, to smooth them up a little. Once I mask the canopy and wind screen, it will be ready to spray in overall RLM 76.

This is the plane I want to build. I have been searching the internet, and I have found 4 different photos of this plane. Thankfully I have pictures showing both sides.

Apparently it was a popular subject to have your picture taken while standing next to it, (or on it), back in 1945... With the help of Pedro Rocha, I was able to narrow down what type this aircraft was. Late War 109's can be a mix of different parts, creating some confusion for people like me who are not experts on them.

Thanks again Pedro ! @holzhamer
    Also I made some good progress on our mutual Dornier builds. I'll send you some pictures soon. 🙂

As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

I like this paint scheme, Louis (@lgardner), because it is much simpler than the usual 109 scheme. Looking forward to the paint and decals.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great progress, my friend @lgardner! Good to see this one back on track! Regarding the wheel wells, RLM02 is the relatively "safer" choice.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Nice progress indeed, Louis @lgardner.
    Looking forward to the spray session.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Good call on the RLM02 for wheelwells. You may check your pictures of "43", as I seem to recall it had a sliding vent-window in the left side of the hood. Could be replicated by scribing a box, but check references. Just a small detail if you want a little extra on your OOB build.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Nice work, @lgardner. It's a good-looking scheme when finished. This is what I did with an Eduard 109 G-10.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.