1st up, Revell 1/48th Messerschmitt Me-262 1A

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 74 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looking good, Chuck.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks John, love the Monogram challenge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Walt and Spiros, I will leave the liquefied concoction to you guys not my cup of tea. Will stick to my Tamiya putties and the traditional fillers.

• Profile Photo

John B, George and Colin, just know that when your going to build any Monogram kit, in either 72nd and 48th scale that it will have excellent details within, raised panel lines, (late century molds) and some to a lot of putty work. My opinion the best fitting kit ever from original Monogram molds was and is the Panther.

• Profile Photo

With the wings and nacelles done, time to work on the tail feathers.

The stab and elevator is 1 piece with a separate rudder.

The stab slips into the slot in the vertical tail and the fit is good here no gaps.

Then the rudder is attached.

Now with the basic air frame assembled time for some major body work...eeesh.

So with putty applied around the engines, center seam line on top and lower fuselage. The nose gun bay doors and around the gun ports panel.

It will take several sessions to really get these seams nice and smooth. All around the 262. Losing some panel lies in the process. Starting with 220 grit, files and then with 400 grit to remove the heavy scratches. All wet n dry 3M sandpaper. Using Tamiya Liquid putty to fill in any dips and holes in the dried sanded putty.

Slowly but surely getting this into shape and presentable.

The lower wing join and seams are like most any other kit. The fit here is always an issue for most kits no matter who they are.

The join on top where the wing meets the fuselage contact point is excellent and no worries or need to work on that seam.

Next up install the glass. More to follow

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Now that is some serious grinding, Chuck.
    Seems like you have it all under control and the final result will be smooth.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Nice filling and sanding job, my friend @uscusn! This us becoming a homogeneous and smooth Schwalbe!

• Profile Photo

Thanks John, lots of wet sanding to smooth things over, fill those seams.

• Profile Photo

Spiros at least 2 hours overall to get this into shape and prepped for painting the scheme.

• Profile Photo

With the filling and sanding done for now. Time to do the glass work. The clear parts are really good on this kit.
    First the windscreen is prepped and trimmed. Monogram/Revell does provide some real nice clear parts on the 262.

Next the canopy side opening panel is trimmed as well as the separate armored head rest. Then assembled.

The back glass is then installed in place just aft of the cockpit. Fit is excellent.

Next the windscreen is attached in place. Again fit is good here as well.

Since the the Me-262 glass panels are not difficult to mask, Tamiya tape cut into shape are applied over each panel. 3 pieces for the windscreen. 2 for the back glass.

Typically WWII fighters are easy to mask unlike the multi paneled WWII twin engines that can be rather time consuming with out a mask set. 2 pieces for the canopy. Then the canopy is temporarily mounted in place with white glue.

Next the interior color is applied over the framing. RLM66 is used for this purpose though it does look a bit too light for my liking. This is MIssion Models paint.

Then some pre shading is applied over the air frame.

Next up, some paint work.
    More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Good job on those transparencies, my friend @uscusn!
    Great masking, too!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Getting ready for the paintjob nicely, Chuck.

• Profile Photo

Spiros and John, thanks it is that time to start planning on the paint scheme.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Nice to see the kit still stands the test of time - and that my memory of it as a putty monster wasn't wrong. Good work going on here.

• Profile Photo

I will be doing Yellow 5 in an RLM81/82 over 76 paint scheme.

First using Mig RLM76 acrylic for the undersurfaces.

I short straight from the bottle as this paint is quite thin already. It takes a couple of coats to cover.

The Pale Grey 76 goes a 1/4 of up the side of the fuselage and back half of the vertical tail.

The demarcation line will not be sharp on this scheme but will feather into the top colors.

Now to work on the top surfaces. Starting with RLM82 Dunkel Grun, (Dk Green). Using Polly Scale Acrylic.

Airbrushing the sections that are in this color.

Next the tip of the nose is painted RLM04 Yellow. Then let dry overnight and masked off to paint the RLM 81 Braun Violett.

Next morning, RLM81 is next up. Using Gunze Mr Hobby Acrylic.

Don't know if it's me but it seems a bit dark than it should be.

One thing is that it sprays very well and easy to freehand the scheme with this paint.

Once the scheme is laid out, I go over again with the RLM76 to tighten the demarcation line and under the yellow nose.

Any clean up as well and the mottling on the tail looks ok. With RLM81.

Next clear coat and decals.

more to follow