A Caesar with a grin

Started by Erik Gjørup · 70 · 1 year ago · 1/48, 109werke, airbum, AMG, Bf 109, Bf109, bf109c, caesar, Haldværk, Luftwaffe, LW GB, Messerschmitt, quarterscale
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Lots of masking, Erik (@airbum). I am really looking forward to watching the toothy grin appear. Did you decide to paint the white before adding the green topcolor to avoid trying to paint white over the darker color?

I thought the parts looked familiar!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Thanks Spiros.
    George @gblair, the reason is two-fold, as you suspect to avoid covering green with white, but also trying to avoid a large ridge in the transition-zone between the colors.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Very nice progress, Erik @airbum
    Looking forward to this teething process.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 7 months ago:

@fiveten, @gblair and @johnb, a bit more paint!

More paint

the grin was painted white

airbrushed some white

and after it dried, I cut a mask in tape for the sharkmouth.

The taped mouth were accompanied by tape on the belly

always impresses me that it needs those amounts of tape (or paper) to mask a small kit.
    After the tape had been added the first green got loaded.

I threw out the first lot, as my test-run revealed it was very lumpy, so I opened a fresh jar. After painting I loaded some thinner in the airbrush and soaked the plane in an attempt to even out some of the orangepeel effect.

next up some more 71, and then more masking and 70 will follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Had to seriously zoom the image to notice the orange peel effect, my friend @airbum! Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Your 109C will look great with shark teeth, Erik (@airbum). Did it work to flood the surface with thinner to take care of orange peel? Enamels are a lot more difficult to deal with after they have dried than acrylics.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Quite some work done, Erik @airbum
    Masking tape is indeed consumed a lot, even on smaller aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Thanks for the comments @fiveten, @gblair and @johnb. I did sand it down with some 3000grade, and then re-painted with a very thin paint at low pressure.

a few layers later

With the paint thinned to a bit thicker than water, it was time to re-visit the farbton 70.

It went a lot better, even though it did tend to leave a hint of orangepeel effect at the end of the session, probably because the paint was drying in the airbrush.

But to ansver George’s question, I added thinner to the cup after pouring the major amount of the remaining paint out. In the beginning it did work more or less like the paint at the first round, but as the thinner started to reach the nozzle, it became a lot less controllable. It can be seen on the right wing that is a lot more glossy than the rest, but no harm done.

Next up more maskingtape and then farbton 71, schwartzgrün.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Looking much better, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Looking good, Erik. What paint/thinner combination did you use that resulted in the lump problems? I had similar issues when thinning Xtracolor enamels with generic hardware store lacquer thinner. The Xtracolor sprays perfectly with Mr. Leveling Thinner or MM airbrush thinner.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Looks like a nice recovery, Erik (@airbum). I have been airbrushing for since the 70s, and it can still be a mystery to me. Sometimes your paint will mess up just because of humidity, temperature, a speck of dust and who knows what else. The one thing I always do is use the thinner that belongs with the paint.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Looking much better this way, Erik @airbum

• Profile Photo

Well, I could not wait, so a few thin coats later the major masking went off. Thanks gents. John H, the paint was indeed xtracolor, but I used their own brand thinner. I suspect it to contain some drying agent, as it is dry to the touch relatively fast. I will have to try another brand thinner – thanks for the info! George, it is a bit cold and humid today, but the first layer was on a relatively warm and dry day. Anyway, yet another update @fiveten, @j-healy, @gblair, and @johnb.

71 on, mask off

Yep – that’s right masking tape off even with the paint still a bit wet

Of course the cockpit remains masked for now, but I could not wait for the plane to come out in the open.

a little sticky, but plenty of places to hold it while removing the tape.

I also removed the tape on the lower parts, including the grin.

Now it will have to be set aside for a long time to fully cure.

next up I shall see if I add the grin before clear gloss, it depends on how well the decals fit, or I shall have to make a painting mask for the red color. Tune back in later.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Excellent paint result, Erik @airbum
    Quite a risky step to remove the masking that quickly but it turned out very well.
    Good you remembered the step masking at the slats, usually I only notice this too late.

• Profile Photo

Well spotted @johnb - I had fair warning from your Emil though 🙂

More masking

I decided to try masking the teeth

I made a drawing from the decals and cut some yellow tape with a sharp knife, following the lines on the paper with the tape under it.

Quite a lot of cutting followed to locate the teeth correctly avoiding the exhausts.

Then some Xtracolor red by brush

Needs a lot of cleaning up!

That will be for another day as I move over to other builds needing TLC.