A couple of Schlacht planes zooming down

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 98 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Eduard, Fw.190 F, Henschel 129 B, Revell, Schlacht combo
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 11 months ago:

One fast update all about the FW 190
    The cockpit is almost done, I already used some dry brush highlight and assembled the seat.
    Only need the rudder pedals and the control stick plus some bit of blue for the O2 regulator

I also scratched some dinort poles for the wings bomb load, the 4 SC50
    Very soon some more updates for the Stuka and more

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Nice progress, my friend @holzhamer.
    Love that cockpit!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Very nice, Pedro.
    Detailing of the interior is great.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Splendid!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Here’s another quick update.
    Unsurprisingly the 190 just builds itself once I painted all the odds and bits that show from the insides.
    A step I save for last (since I built my first Kit of this new 190 generation) is glueing the upper deck gun covers, basically because this avoids masking the MGs barrels and also because the piece simply clicks into position effortlessly.

The AB 250 bomb is almost done. I avoid using the PE for those tiny connecting rods in the bomb fins, rather went for stretched sprue glued with Cyano over the PE fins. Some retouches again using black marbling and the overlay 02 coat and some washes will wrap the bomb up

Here’s a couple of pics from the cockpit

As for the Stuka, I’ve been busy around the nose cowling, having thinned down some attachement point covers that came solid and as such very unrealistic. I like how it turned out. Some rescribing will be done where putty was needed to conform the radiator part to the overall shape.

Finally a pic from the IP- Quinta studios resin decal- great stuff

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Very nice steps, Pedro @holzhamer
    The AB250 looks very realistic, like the interior as well.
    That Quinta IP looks great, have to try one of them myself.
    Those seriously look beautiful.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Pedro, I'm just catching up with your build after a long absence (for me). Life stresses got in the way of modeling. You've made some excellent progress on the cockpit for the 190 and the Stuka details. Both look as finely detailed as - or better than - the work I have done in 1/32 on my Bf109s and Stuka. I like your weathering/highlighting approach to the RLM 66. I have gone for a darker look, but I may want to adjust this on future Luftwaffe subjects. One challenge I have had to meet is keeping the color as matching the Eduard color photo-etch - especially for the Stuka. I also really like what you are doing with photo-etch for the bomb - it will look great when everything is together.

• Profile Photo

@coling
    I have mix feelings regarding pre-painted after-market stuff, simply because the Pantone never matches my own.
    Eduard has been improving their RLM66 shade (or is it the painting technology that just got better and better...) because their earlier pre-painted PE was disastrous.
    Still I end up painting over carefully avoiding dials and other colours. You can see that on these cockpit photos, they blend with my own 66 mix much better than just as they come.

Now that Stuka IP 66 seems a bit more close to my own mix, I’ll need to see how the remaining parts of Quinta Studios set will blend or not.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Love your progresses made, my friend @holzhamer!
    Thumbs up everywhere!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Once again the quality of your work shows Pedro. I have the same trouble with the colormatching of AM parts, but ingored the issue so far 🙂
    I like the thinning of parts - makes a huge difference!

• Profile Photo

@airbum
    Erik you know how the saying goes - God is in the details.
    And details is something you yourself focus so well on your 109 builds 😉 matching the PE paint to your own cockpit color is not difficult to get, but often (to me at least) is as important as the remaining details you can see in it

• Profile Photo
    Ronnie Olsthoorn said 2 years, 10 months ago:

The Würger cockpit looks great!

• Profile Photo

A short de elopement concerning the use of Quinta Studios resin decal or whatever these are called

You can see the main pieces added over sanded smooth areas of the kit’s cockpit side walls.
    These are applied over a base Gunze RLM 66 straight from the jar. Their tone is lighter the base so it should match my own mixed “lighten” 66 that will follow…

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

The special mix "light 66" should make the office a lot easier to check when it is finished. (I have to get me some 3D printed decals one of these days)

• Profile Photo

Erik @airbum, It does give some shadow/light effect on an otherwise too dark, too boring shade in such small size cockpits. Been using this method in all cockpits I do, German or otherwise. The hardest to achieve that contrast was on DDG of USA fighters. RLM O2 or 66 are “warm” colors easier to blend.

Anyway here’s how it looks now, prior to some washes and dry brushing

Some work made around the MG81Z and the device placed behind the cockpit who’s name eludes me at the moment. That part was too shallow in the plastic so I used one from the Aires resin set.