Atlantis Nike Hercules 1:40

Started by George R Blair Jr · 5 · 2 years ago · 1/40, Atlantis, Luftwaffe, MIM-14, Nike Hercules
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I am always looking for something a little unusual to do, so I wanted to find something a little different for this group. Atlantis Models just released the old Revell Nike Hercules in 1/40, so I did a little research and found that these missiles were supplied to the Luftwaffe and other NATO countries. Problem solved...something for the group that is not only unusual, but also fun to build.

First, a quick background. The first widely deployed surface-to-air missile for the US Army was the Nike Ajax (MIM-3). The Nike Hercules (MIM-14) was a much improved surface-to-air missile that was first deployed in 1958. It was a medium and high altitude, long-range air defense missile capable of carrying a nuclear or conventional warhead. The missile could also be used as a surface-to-surface missile. It remained the Army's primary air-defense missile until the Patriot was deployed in the 1980s. Deployments to NATO countries began in 1959. When I was growing up I lived in El Paso, Texas, which is the home of Fort Bliss, the US Army's air defense training center. I remember seeing these missiles all the time when I was growing up, so I have a soft spot in my heart for them.

This kit was first released by Revell in 1957 (according to Scalemates), but it is remarkably detailed for molds that are almost 65 years old. The upper stage consists of the body and two of the fins. The two body halves fit into recesses that hide the seam, and the two separate fins fit into recesses in the body with no seams. I used almost no filler on either the missile or the launcher, which is pretty good for parts from really elderly molds. I took the German markings from my spare decals, and the yellow stencils on the 1st stage come from my stock of model railroad decals.

Overall, this kit was inexpensive to buy, quick to build, and fun. Sounds like a good deal to me. Everyone stay safe.

5 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

What a great quick project, my friend @gblair!
    Thanks for sharing this.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Fast and beautiful, George. @gblair
    Good to see it on the headlines as well.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). I don't know if there is an etiquette concerning posting both places, but I usually try to post both in the group and in headlines.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Well thought to build this in the LW GB George. Actually, regarding posting both places, as far as I have seen it is the way to go. Builds in the groups, finished items in headlines, though the last is not mandatory, a lot of visitors only check headlines. Quite an enjoyable item @gblair, thanks for sharing!