Eyes over Malta : 1 (F)/122 bf.109 F-4/R3

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 24 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Aufklarung, Bf 109, Hasegawa
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Those look nice extras, my friend @holzhamer and your job is the usual excellent one!
    Looking forward to it, also to see if and how the pilot will fit there.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Great additions, Pedro @holzhamer.
    A truly tiny piece to be added, but definitely worth it.
    Also wondering how you will get that pilot in there.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Nice start Pedro , the Aires AM are really a good upgrade . Also I like the way you have weathered the cockpit floor and pilot's seat . With some wash and "dust" (decause of the desert) will be perfect . In my opinion it would be a shame to hide these nice details with a pilot. It would definitely look much better with a set of belts and, why not a parachute sitting lazily at the root of the wing , or hanging carelessly on the side of the cockpit (under a beach umbrella) waiting for the next mission ?

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Progress has been slow but steady.
    Follow the kit instructions and glued the fuselage halves. Fit is actually much better than I remember from the last F/G Hasegawa kit I built.
    Stabilizers also trimmed and assembled without fuzz. Putty is minimum

The lower side of the wing was cut from the spruce and after cleaning the gate points I also found that the fit is perfect…humm pleasant news so far

Where the fit is obviously not good, far from it, is the engine covers

Now this matches my memories eheh
    A large gap located in the first half of the joint line will demand some plastic strip being added.
    Some progress also on the resin tube . The pilot figure is a tad big, so I’m still considering the route to go here

• Profile Photo

@faraomike

Michael, so sorry I had not notice your reply post from a month ago (!).

Thanks for the comments and compliments. Our friend Erik also suggested the use of the umbrella, he even offered to send me one! As for the parachute I don’t have any to use in such diorama pose.

It’s true that the resin is quite good, but to be fair, it was the best cockpit available when Hasegawa 109s were also the best in town. Nowadays you can build the Eduard F and just the plastic in it is almost as good as the Aires set, let alone if you buy the resin add-ones Eduard also sells for their kit

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Indeed a more than usual size of gap, Pedro.
    For sure you are going to get this perfectly solved.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Some gap you have there Pedro! As for Michaels remark, I also seem to have spare parachutes in the stash. . .
    A lot of pictures have these on the tailplane - just sayin' - no pressure 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Nice progress, my friend @holzhamer!
    Are you going to use some shims on the gap? Some liquefied styrene possibly?

• Profile Photo

@fiveten
    Spiros my friend I don’t have spare liquid glue to use that liquefied styrene you and Louis so skillfully use.
    Plain old evergreen styrene sheet cut and trimmed to size will be my option