Focke-Wulf FW190 'Family'

Started by Paul Barber · 23 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years ago:

First off the runway - so to speak - is the Tamiya 1/48 FW-190 A3. I’ll be modifying the tailplane a little to get it closer to the A4. I have some aftermarket resin wheels from True Details and the Aires engine kit. I’ll use Eduard etch to improve the cockpit.

The Aires engine resin looks like it has more parts than the kit itself and is going to be difficult. Reviews are not that encouraging but I never think that should be a distraction. If it all goes dreadfully wrong I’m sure I can go back to plan A and just grab some new fuse halves. I hope it doesn’t come to that. I have to admit I got this set of aftermarket kit together about 6-7 years ago without thinking too hard about those that had tried it before.

I’ve gone for this one first because it may take a while to get to grips with the cut-and-shut at the front end. The wheel wells are also completely chopped and replaced. Removing the front of the Tamiya kit and the wells are the two major Elements of surgery.

I figure posing the engine open will let me play a little on the fact that this will be an Eastern Front plane done in a white-washed finish. It may have needed ongoing maintenance in tough conditions! In short, loads of stuff I have absolutely zero experience with!

Today I removed all the parts I need from the kit sprues. Very little to say - the usual Tamiya fit - and compared to some kits I’ve been working on recently, wonderfully positioned sprue gates with limited numbers of attachment points. A nice change - especially with the resin casting blocks to deal with as the front end goes on! A good butcherbird to ‘butcher’ given that it dry fits pretty well.

Hope to get the office together tomorrow, put it to one side, and then perform some
    surgery!

Decals will be the Peddinghaus set for Trautloft’s 1942 mount as Geschwaderkommandore of JG 54.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years ago:

Very ambitious, Paul! I’m looking forward to seeing your kits take shape. The radial engined 190s are my favorite German fighters. I really like the green camouflaged A-4s and A-5s.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

You are definitely going for a challenge, Paul.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years ago:

Paul, @yellow10
    This is going to be an epic build ! It somehow reminds me of the 100 Years of the RAF group, where I built 7 or 8 Spitfires, all in different markings. That reminds me how I need to finish the remaining 5 Spits. The stash has grown since then to include several of the new tool 1/48 Eduard kits and 3 of the new tool Tamiya Spitfires.

I have some information stored for the Wurgers. So if you need anything please let me know. Several years ago my friends built a wing and a new canopy for a FW-190 that was being restored on the West Coast.
    Here's the canopy being prepped for shipping.

and the new wing in the specially made jig holding fixture.

The original engine...and other various parts nearby. The underside wing and landing gear sections, along with parts from a V-2 rocket can also be seen.

followed by some of the original panels that were used to make copies of the new skins. Check out these original RLM colors ! This shows the correct placement for the underwing insignia.

Landing gear door...

The other wing half is outside, ready to go in the shop to use as new metal patterns.

Here is the opposite wing skin. It has been removed from the wing structure, and is being used here as a pattern for the new metal skin...

This is what the top of the wing looked like. It was no where near as nice as the undersides were. Sunlight and corrosion have shown their effects in this picture.

These underside parts have not been exposed to too much to sunlight, as the FW was recovered from a swamp / bog in Russia several years ago, where the swamp actually helped to preserve it.

I really like where you are going with this ! The FW-190 is my favorite Luftwaffe plane. Thanks for starting these.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years ago:

Wow! Seven Fw-190s! I am sure if I took on as much as you, it would take me years to finish. Great that you are plunging right into it with all the right materials. These are some really striking subjects. I am planning to do Hondt's 190A-5 myself, only in 1/32. I didn't propose it for the GB yet, because I wanted to do the Bf-109s first. Looking forward to your builds, but especially the interpretation of Black 13.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years ago:

Thanks Colin, it’s a plane and pilot I know little about - a friend of mine got me a copy from Eduard’s BFC for my birthday! And thanks Louis for the photos - the canopy looks sensational! Great to see one being restored!

As promised I put the office together, dug out the Dremel and started the butchery. A couple of quick shots of the office with the Eduard etch. I have to say I’m falling out of love with etch and I’m looking forward to trying out some Quinta studios 3D decals on some of the Eduard builds. I recently used HGW fabric belts on a couple of things I have on the bench and honestly they are as superior to the metal versions as people suggest!

Here are some dubious phone snaps just to show it is done!

As for the butchery, more later - I am not at all convinced with Aires instructions!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Yes, it would seem that 3D printed IP's are gaining in popularity. I still have to order some, but they are definitely on the horizon. Nice start - looking forward to the butchery to come.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Still a great looking instrument panel, Paul.
    A good start I would say.