Gas Patch Me 163B 1/48

Started by Ben Walmsley · 15 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Ben Walmsley said 2 years, 10 months ago:

G’day all, This just arrived in the post the other day. The timing is perfect as I just finished my FW 190, so I think this one will bypass the stash and go directly to the workbench.
    At first glance it looks very good. The plastic seems very nice, the instructions are great, the decals are from Cartograph - what more could you ask for? Let’s see how it goes together…
    I probably won’t get a chance to make a start for a week or so but I’ll update as it progresses.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

That will be a beauty, Ben @popeofchillitown
    Sprues look nice.
    Does the PE come with the kit or did you order that as aftermarket?

• Profile Photo

Hi John, the PE is included, as are masks, I little bit of resin and some 3D printed (I think) jigs for aligning the guns. It looks like a gem of a kit but I’ve never built anything from Gas Patch before so I’ll wait and see how it comes together.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Really looking forward to follow this one Ben. I ordered a few as soon as it was announced, and got mine a few weeks ago. There are just so many details in the plastic alone, and it fully lives up to the "WingnutWings quality, only it is 1/48" praise that the other GasPatch kits have had. I am strapped in, acidproof gloves and all. (and if you need further details their 3D-printed accesories are stunning!)

• Profile Photo

Thanks Eric. The level of detail looks really good all over the kit, especially the cockpit. I think OOB will be more than adequate for me.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Indeed the details are adequate - not to say more than that in the OOB version.

The update do include a fully dressed pilot that is a real work of art.

but I would go nuts trying to add all the tiny bits as the kit is already, so to keep me sane I believe mine will be OOB also when the time comes. I have added a set of masks though to help painting the stuff.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

This is a wonderful entry, @popeofchillitown!
    Looks like a super kit!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Welcome aboard Ben. @popeofchillitown
    This looks to be an excellent kit. I still have two of the ancient Testors / Hawk Me-163's that I built shortly after I got back into the hobby around 20 or so years ago. They are parked in the display case right next to some of my newer builds. I remember how plain they were... and now I see this kit you have posted here. I don't know how much longer I can resist the urge to get one (or two) of these babies !

Thanks for posting this journal and I look forward to seeing how they go together. Please keep us updated.

• Profile Photo
    Ben Walmsley said 2 years, 9 months ago:

I’ve made a start with some of the sub-assemblies. I have deviated from the instructions a bit but so far it’s going together very well. The cockpit is really nicely detailed. There are a multitude of tiny parts but they require minimal clean up and the fit has been great. I’m really impressed with this kit.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Looking really good my friend @popeofchillitown!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Nicely detailed indeed, Ben @popeofchillitown

• Profile Photo

I finally got the cockpit painted and put together! I’m pretty happy with it. Great detail out of the box with this kit but I couldn’t resist adding some wiring. I used pre coloured .35mm wire as it’s nice and easy.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

The interior looks stunning, my friend @popeofchillitown!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Absolute great looking, Ben @popeofchillitown
    Is that wire specifically for modelling and where did you get that if I may ask?

• Profile Photo

Thanks John, I bought the wire online at BNA, which is an Australian site, but I’d imagine it’s readily available elsewhere.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.