Revell Henschel Hs129B2

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 96 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Treated myself with some PE parts to get a bit more details into this build.
    Interior as well as exterior parts are present, not sure if I'm going to use all of them.
    PE is for the Hasegawa kit, but as said before, this Revell kit is a reboxed Hasegawa.
    Arrival of the package is likely to be beginning next week.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 12 months ago:

This PE looms very enhancing, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Looking all ready to go, John. The parts count looks low enough for a relatively easy build (always my preference when also adding etch). No doubt the PE will really bring out the best in the model, particularly with the patience and care you put into your previous builds. With a good etch set for the cockpit (especially for the IP) and nice distortion free clear parts, I always feel good about the project.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Really looking great, John (@johnb). This Revell/Hasegawa should go together well, and the etch will be a great addition. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

A lucky start today.

Yesterday I received the package including the PE addon.

Today I opened the package and found a nice sheet of PE parts, film with gauges and the instruction sheet.

When unfolding the instruction sheet, to my surprise another sheet of PE fell out.

So currently I'm having two sets of PE.

If someone is interested in having this extra set, please contact me.

(Pedro @holzhamer, since you are building one too, are you maybe interested in this sheet of PE?)

I did start with folding and glueing the PE interior.

Current progress compared to the provided interior.

Still some handles, the footpeddles, paint and gauges to be applied in mentioned order.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Maybe it was for a Hs129 Zwilling? Looks great, John. The PE appears to be a huge advance over the kit plastic in the fineness of the detail. That is extremely precise and clean assembly you have done so far. You will probably want to be really careful sandwiching that between the fuselage halves. I had to be super gentle not to bend anything when fitting the largish pieces of PE inside my Super Etendard - lots of re-fitting and trimming in that case.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 11 months ago:

That is some really stellar PE work there. I have never had much luck with PE and only use it in a pinch. I don't even really care for it for seat belts, I prefer molded in...especially with resin cockpit kits. Still you have made it look simple and with some paint should look absolutely incredible.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 11 months ago:

@johnb
    John, I sincerely appreciate your offer, but my Henschel has a lot of PE already. I’ll do a post later on to show you how and what I’m using.
    Good luck with that PE cockpit, looks like serious work

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

This PE cockpit looks amazing, my friend @johnb!
    Kudos to your detailed work!

• Profile Photo

Finished the interior.

Not really that easy to fold, file and glue an entire cockpit interior in PE.

The tiny levers were a real challenge I must admit.

Still I do think this cockpit is an improvement over the original provided in the box.

I did however resize the leather parts of the seatbelts because they looked extremely huge.

Even after resizing I think they are still a bit on large, but at least they fit on the seat.

Getting it inside the fuselage was not easy as well, all that PE bends easily.

Eventually after some grinding to get enough space, it did fit quite well.

Currently I am tending towards applying the following scheme.

Looking forward to your opinions.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

John, What a perfectly made PE office. Looking really cool. You do deserve to sit back and enjoy the sight for a few seconds 🙂
    The colorscheme under consideration is very nice. Looking forward to the next update @johnb.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Nice work John!
    The Henschel cockpit was narrow and very cramped from what I can see from available wartime photos. The sides had some unique details due, I suppose, to the lateral MGs, that moulded semi circular shapes in it.
    What it’s true is that not much is visible even in 1/48.
    Looking forward to new progress. The camo scheme is one of the 3 you can choose for a Luftwaffe machine (that one, the desert or the winter white washed), still its very colourful 😉

• Profile Photo

Erik (@airbum), thanks. Some rest for my eyes is needed after trying to get those tiny parts in place.

Pedro @holzhamer, thank you. Indeed, a very cramped cockpit. They even left out some gauges and placed them directly on the nacelles. Those details on the side seems indeed to be related to the MG.

The scheme is indeed provided within the box. It is the standard scheme for the Eastern front, but it looks great to me.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great job on those PEs, my friend @johnb! And, yes, it definitely is a vast improvement over the kit provided.
    I lke what you did with the seat belt "leathers": they look more scale now.
    I also love your chosen scheme.
    Looking forward to yoyr progress!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks Spiros. The scheme is not the most complex one seen on the 129 but for some reason I do like those yellow accents, not only on this one but on every German plane.