Hobbycraft Bf-109E-7 Tropical

Started by Gary Brantley · 108 · 4 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jim Altergott said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Nice MiG-17 Gary! I recently purchased a double action airbrush and I, like you, are learning how to use it. I will use the Paasche for overall coverage and clearcoat applications. The more I practice with my new airbrush the more I realize what is possible with it. The Paasche will always have a job with me!

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks Jim @jaltergott6. The double-actions are difficult for me; I've got very little "fine feeling" in my right hand due to long-ago nerve damage, and lessened feeling in my left from a pinched nerve. So manipulating both actions is sort of iffy. (picking up small pieces is a lot of fun! I spend more time looking for stuff on the floor than building! πŸ˜‰ )I really want to use the Sotar for details like accentuating panel lines and outlining camo, but I'm gonna need a ton of practice with it before I'll be confident to try "for real". I wanted to use it for exhaust stains on my Tigercat but just didn't trust myself with it and used pastel chalks instead.

I really need to hook it back up and work it more on a paint mule or two. But like you, I'm just much more comfortable with that old H. πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo

A bit of progress has been made; such as it is, ;). I have the cockpit assembled and had to do a bit of sanding on the sides to allow it to fit with the fuselage halves closed. It turned out just okay I think. The trim wheels do look like hell however. They look like they were "sawed" off the sprue; more like a bear's a*s sewed up with a grapevine. I didn't think they looked that rough until that old macro got involved. I think I'll pop them out and work on them a bit more. Of course, they're not parallel either...grrrr. I dropped them in the process of getting them in there and finding them was no picnic, lol. But amazingly, I did. Now, if I can avoid losing them again when I try to clean them up a little.

Here's a few looks from above:

And what do ya know? All four of the tiny decal levers are still on the IP! for now anyway!

Starboard side panel:

Port side:

A view of the pilot's foot pedals:

And just for grins, here's a comparison photo of the 109's cockpit with the one from the Monogram F-102, quite a difference isn't there? πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

A very fine looking office, Gary.
    Lots of great details.
    Agree that those macros sometimes reveal more than what you would like to know.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I agree pics reveal discrepancies that the human eye may overlook, my friend @garybrantley! Still, your cockpit looks great! Wishing you luck with the trim wheels remedial actions, mainly not losing them by snapping...
    Yes, there are some differences between the two cockpits πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends @johnb and @fiveten! Thank you both for your encouraging words. Try as I may, I just can't build a nice, "clean" cockpit! Something always goes wrong and throws off the entire "look". I did remove the trim wheels and I think I cleaned them up a bit. Still doesn't look like those of the master modelers but it will have to do. Too many unbuilt kits at age 68 to fool around too much with this one. πŸ˜‰

I'm curious as to how long the eyes and hands will hold up. Gotta "make hay while the sun is shining"! πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Gary @garybrantley, I think your cockpit looks great, if the one I'm currently building turns out as good I'll be more than pleased.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 2 years, 10 months ago:

@chinesegeorge, many thanks for your encouragement! I'm sure you'll end up with a great result on yours! πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo
    Erik GjΓΈrup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Gary @garybrantley, I am somewhat embarrased to be this late to the party! Anyway, super job on the cockpit. If you take the trimwheels out anyway, I have enclosed a picture from the manual

Regarding the propeller blades, the backsides will be even more worn, usually only paint on the innermost 3rd or so, with the amount of wear you have shown on the front.

• Profile Photo

Thanks @airbum! No need for embarrassment; I'm glad you checked in on this one. :). I did remove them and clean them up. And they are back in now but I can see from your picture that they may be a bit higher above the seat than shown in your picture. Hmmmm...I'll have a look and see if it's possible to squeeze them in a bit lower in regards to the seat height. Thanks for posting that sidewall pic Erik, and for the info regarding the prop blades! Does "innermost third" refer to the 1/3 of the blade from the hub out to the tip? πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo
    Erik GjΓΈrup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks - the trim wheels are actually flat on the sides that faces each other (but still with a gap in between to put the hand there) - if that helps the squeeze πŸ™‚

Regarding the props, it is the area farthest from the hub that will loose the paint first - due to the blades being sandblasted during take-off. So yes, I think your description hits the spot! Of course the sandblasting starts at the tip and "travels" towards the hub with time during use on sandy fields.

• Profile Photo

I appreciate the information and the clarification @airbum! Cheers! πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo

Yesterday, I pulled the three vac-formed canopy sections from safe keeping and did some test fitting. Uh oh. I might be able to use them on this model but it would require more effort than I want to expend at this point. I was afraid this might be the result. So, it was back to the one-piece kit canopy, which does actually fit like a dream.
    With the finished (except for the gunsight) cockpit in place, most of the 'pit detail is visible through that canopy. I wasn't that pleased with the vac parts after cutting them out and I'm certain the over-all look will be cleaner with the kit "glass". Oh well...chalk that one up as a learning experience.

Again, "onward through the fog"! (slogan of the famous Oat Willies head shop in Austin, Texas,)

an aside: My recently ordered bottle of ModelMaster gloss sea blue enamel arrived yesterday as well and now I can move ahead with my Tigercat build. I changed the front LG, and the new part was unpainted and when opened the bottle, I found my original paint (1989 vintage at least!) had gone bad. I'm down to about a dozen pieces to attach. Finally. πŸ˜‰

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Good that your Hobbycraft canopy fits, my friend @garybrantley! Hobbycraft transparencies are generally clear, this one being no exception.
    Looking forward to your progress (and also to your Tigercat painting!).

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Looks like the canopy issue has been solved, Gary @garybrantley, all you've got to do now is mask and paint it...