Hobbycraft Bf-109E-7 Tropical

Started by Gary Brantley · 108 · 3 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thank you Spiros and John! 😊 @fiveten and @johnb, thanks for all your encouragement, my friends! 🙏🏻

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Gary Brantley (@garybrantley)
    Your 109 looks fantastic, and I see it has some very good company too with the FW's. Every since I first saw this particular plane with the replacement wing, I have always wanted to build one for my collection. You have just amped up that thought a few notches with how nice yours has turned out. It looks outstanding, and it was a pleasure to follow along with the build. Sorry for the hit and miss comments lately, we have had a lot of full scale "life" stuff getting in the way of our hobby.

That is a neat looking scale drawing of the Wright Flyer in the background. That's another one I have always wanted to build, but out of balsa / bass wood and tissue paper instead of plastic. Someday... maybe at a 1/12 scale with a 40 inch wingspan... I think it would also be a neat one to do, especially in this much larger size.

What are your next plans ?

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks a lot, Louis @lgardner! Your generous comments mean a lot to me, my friend. I hope she looks good out at an airport; I'm anxious to get her in front of a camera. Heh, heh, I understand "life" stuff completely...it keeps getting in my way! 😁

I would love to have the Flyer in 1/48, but that will never happen so the drawing will have to do. I can't remember now where or when I got that. I've been working on a model first started back around 1992 or '93. It's the ancient ex-Hawk Testors Supermarine S6B. I stopped working on it and it has been on the bottom shelf of a display ever since. I had a good rigging job on it but since restarting it, I've knocked two wires off right away, then it fell off a jig into two pieces! Wires everywhere! I've been futzing with it this afternoon and hope to try it in my lightbox soon.

Then, I have a couple F4U Corsairs lined up, one Tamiya, the other Hasegawa, for a pair of Latin American warbirds, from 1969's so-called "Soccer War", the last time those planes flew as combatants. I've got an old Monogram P-51D that will also be a macho Mustang in a camo finish too.

I also have recently finished another aircraft model, the old Monogram Mosquito. I did mine as an Israeli bird, circa 1955. I did it completely OOB, and didn't try to correct any of its known issues. But, still, it does look like a Skeeter! 😃

tabletop photo:

I used canopy masks by a new Canadian company called Kitmasx. They were great to deal with and make a good product that really worked well for me. Check out their website; they will custom make any masks not in their inventory and send them back for free. Win, win for all involved; I had five other sets made, all for big ol' "greenhouse" canopies, eg Monogram He-111, AMT A-20, Monogram Hind, Focke-Wulf Moskito, etc. I look forward to using them again! 👍