Fw 190D-9 "Blue 12" by Revell 1/32 scale finished 25/04/2022 .

Started by Michael Ezat · 42 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Ronnie Olsthoorn said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Very nice going so far!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Kirwan said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looking good so far. Rivetting really helps pop the kit.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 11 months ago:

@faraomike - I have found with these Hasegawa kits with separate tails that it's best to attach the respective half fuselage and tail to each other before proceeding with other assembly, so I can work the joint from inside and out and get it really right.

You're doing some excellent work on detail for someone who swore themselves to an OOB project (the ability to change one's mind is a mark of intelligence and talent).

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Tom @tcinla , yes , joining the tail parts as well as the wing with the fuselage is a good way to hurry up and have the best fitting . In this case I leave the tail off only because I was manage to make some extra work on , so was easier to have it separated from the fuselage .

Becareful , I am not talking about an OOB project , I just say " I do not intend to open any panel I find in front of me " , this is not about OOB building !

Thank you for your time and for your kindly comments .

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years, 11 months ago:

When most of the scratch build works on tail are finished , I decided it's time to use an ancient set of control surfaces set from HGW , so I start from horizontal stabilizers and rudder to have the tail ready almost 90% (the remaining 10% is the accesibility hatch which will be built at a later time ).

At the end of this session I decited to finish the big flaps , provided by Eduard within the BIG ED set for the Fw 190D-9 .

So , with the help of the photo etched bending tool , some yellow Zap cyano glue , thin tweezers and patience I ended up with the couple you see .

No more works for this session , thinks will go faster soon , untill then have fun and be safe !

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

These are such amazingly detailed parts, my friend @faraomike!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Fantastic, Michael.
    This looks very realistic.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Before I close the fuselage , my attention moves on the cockpit and on the space behind the engine and into the wheel well .

Revell provides a good enough cockpit which depending on our moods can look right even only with a good paint/weathering , or with enough scratch work .

I finally chose to use the MDC set since I had it available for several years , so I give it a try .

The result is quite fine (regarding the all time classic MDC multimedia set) providing everything you need for a decent cockpit and completed with a set of belts from Eduard's BIG ED set .

The basic color is RLM66 from Gunze , lightened with 10% white for scale effect . Belts are pre painted.

With some white oil paint straight from the tube I make some highlights and with aluminium some more hard scratches .

At the end a wash with ...something dark gives more shadow , improves details and gives some 3D effect .

At the very end , some dark brown dry pastel makes the area under pilot's boots some dusty .

After this , comes the time for the engine accessories .

Again , Revell have done great work here providing all the more obvious parts of this area .

But because I'm a little obsessed, I choose to add some details that I thought would give more air to the area.

So , with some lead and copper wire I make some oil tubing and with 1mm brass tube and white cable I make some cabling .

Here the colors are black , steel and aluminium with small bites of RLM02 and steel .

Last touch are the scratch ammunition shells eject openings .

Having done with that parts , all I have to do now is to close the fuselage , merge it with wing and prepairing for first color .

But this is another story , untill then , keep safe and have fun !

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Those are beautiful steps, Michael.
    Great detailing on the cockpit and wheel well done.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Looking superb, @faraomike!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 10 months ago:

The cockpit and engine plug are superb.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Michael, this is lovely work and very highly detailed, which is a credit to your modelling skills. I look forward to seeing your build progress... I also hope you're on the road to recovery with your health.

Kindest regards,

Paul

• Profile Photo

John , Spiros , Tom and Paul , thank you for your time and your kindly comments . Paul , yes I am recovering almost 100% , the only problem that remains from my illness is an intense and of course annoying instability of my hands but I will not let that stop me from continuing .
    Thank you for your interesting .

• Profile Photo

Finally comes to a shape ! All the main parts (picture 1) finished and comes in one , except elevators and ailerons (picture 2) .

Then start painting : wing is painted with RLM74 & 76 v.2 (AK air) , wing under surfaces with RLM 66 & natural metal as a late war ID scheme , fuselage upper surfaces with RLM 81 v.3 / RLM 83 dark green / RLM 82 light green and fuselage sides with RLM 76 v.3 (or late war variation) as well as the fuselage under surfaces from the end of the wing to the tail .

Nose under surface is RLM 76 v. 3 .

The rudder is painted with RLM 76 v. 1 and is mottled with RLM 82 .The tail is RLM 76 v.3 mottled with 81 v.3 & 83 .

Fuselage sides are toned down with a light mist of RLM 81 v.3 and following my reference pictures I have done some inconsistencies and patches (tail to fuselage joint , engine/guns cover etc) .

So having the main camo ready , next step is some first weathering and some small details like red primer in small spots , and then decoration (markings/crosses/swastikas/numbers etc) .

But this is another session , until then , keep safe and have fun !

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Great progress, Michael.
    Paint work looks very nice.