ICM's He111H-16 (as an H-22) & V-1 flying bomb

Started by Paul Higgins · 21 · 2 weeks ago · Heinkel, ICM, Tamiya, V-1
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

I’m going to chime in here and echo what has been said by Spiros and John.

Excellent work !

I look forward to seeing your next steps.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 2 weeks, 6 days ago:

Hi, guys... thank you for your recent comments. I just finished this build last night and the photos below show the completed kits.

Picking up from where I left off, I managed to get the canopies into position although it was an awkward process. I kept with a standard colour scheme as I haven't seen very many H-16s that were converted to H-22s, and none that had anything other than a standard finish. I gave the undersides a black finish. Once painted, the entire Heinkel kit was blackwashed, and the engraved detail is very good indeed and all looks good when done. I chose not to permanently attach the V-1; it comes with its transport trolley, and I wanted to show it as though it had just arrived at the airfield, with the wings in the stowed position.

The aircraft is representative of a He111H-16 coded 5K+FS of 8./KG3 during the summer of 1944 while based at Venlo in the Netherlands. On 30 July, 1944, it was the lead aircraft in a formation heading out on a mission but was heavily damaged by German flak over the Scheldt when the formation was mistaken as enemy airfract. The order wa given to release the V-1and the aircraft ditched off the coast, with the tides carrying the surviving crew towards Oostende where they were rescued by German naval personnel; two of the crew died from drowning when the aircraft ditched. In the late summer, the unit moved to north-west Germany and soon after became I.Gruppe/KG53. Missile-launching operations continued until mid-January 1945 but few of the V-1s ever reached their intended targets.

I hope you like the end result; I've done a post into the headlines here - https://imodeler.com/2024/04/he111h-22-missile-carrier/?refresh=0548, and posted a video on my YouTube channel here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G4Wh5smpME, if you wish to see more of the build.

Thanks for looking in... ;-).

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks, 6 days ago:

Congratulations, my friend @paulh! A wonderful result, a great build thread and a nice video!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 6 days ago:

Well done, Paul @paulh

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 weeks, 2 days ago:

Very nicely done, Paul (@paulh). Your paint really looks the part.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Thanks, George. Much appreciated and I'm glad you like the finished kit ;-).