Messerschmitt Bf109E Combo build

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 384 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Bf109E, Hasegawa, Messerschmitt, Tamiya, Werner Schroeder
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

What is better than meeting all those friendly modellers here on iModeler, yes indeed, meeting those amazing modellers in real. This is what happened to me recently when I was able to meet our great friend Spiros (@fiveten).
    During my holiday in Greece, first half of August, we took the opportunity to meet each other. What a great experience this was. Spiros is an amazing person in real as well as his family, especially his two QC members. His finished, and still ongoing, builds do look even better in real than from the pictures. We had great talks about modelling, other topics as well, and the day was over before we knew. Cherry on the cake was a wonderful gift of the Tamiya Messerschmitt Bf109E4/7 Trop. Thanks a lot for this amazing gift, my friend. I feel honored that you want to do a combo build of this kit together with your Hasegawa 109.

As said, this will be a combo build of the Messerschmitt 109E, the most beautiful 109 to my opinion. I have chosen to build this as the 109E7 Trop from Werner Schroer in the well known Leopard scheme. I really like this camouflage because of its effectiveness over the African desert.

Below the Tamiya kit, which I was able to take back in my hand luggage without even damaging it.

This is the scheme I will go for.

Instructions are in black and white and do not look too complicated.

Two grey sprues with some nicely detailed parts and engraved panel lines.

One sprue of transparant parts and black ring for the propellor.

Decal sheet includes three options of which the black 8 will be the one I will build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

It was indeed a wonderful day the day we met, my good friend @johnb! Indeed, becoming friends here on iModeler is great, physically meeting is, simply, fantastic, you are an astonishing person in reality and you have an equally astonishing family. It was a day that passed too quickly before even noticing, only hoping to repeat it the soonest. Thank you for making this happen and got to know you and your wonderful family in person!

Your Tamiya "Emil" looks great in the box and your chosen scheme is stunning! Looking forward to your build!

I am honored to combo build with you, I have two Hasegawa "Emils" to enter, more to come!

• Profile Photo

Here are my entries...

They are the initial release Hasegawa E-3 and E-4/7 offerings. These kits are reported to be dimensionally incorrect (thinner rear fuselage, wrong shaped cowling). Truth be told, these inaccuracies might not be too obvious or disturbing to the casual viewer.
    For the rest, they seem nice kits. I am planning to finish the E-3 as a Haldy's Spanish War bird... and the E-4/7 as Lt Steindl's bird... More to come!

• Profile Photo

Great choices, Spiros @fiveten
    Especially the camouflage scheme for Lt. Steindl's Emil.
    Wondering how you will get that done.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Another combo build, John (@johnb) and Spiros (@fiveten)? It's impossible to keep up with you guys.

• Profile Photo

Maybe the only way to keep up is to join us, my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Cool story from both of you. I've always had great experiences meeting internet friends in the "real" world.

• Profile Photo

@gblair, glad to have you onboard for this topic, George
    @tcinla, fully agree on that, Tom

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Thanks for the invite, Spiros (@fiveten). A 109 isn't in the queue right now, but I can think about it and see if I have the stuff on-hand to build something.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @tcinla! Yes, @johnb made it happen. The more of "us" we meet in real the better!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 7 months ago:

I feel an itch. . . . 🙂

Strapped in and ready to follow my friends - hit me!

• Profile Photo

@airbum, please feel free to join, Erik. Always good to have a 109 expert around.
    Just like the invitation to George @gblair.
    You can never have enough Emils.

• Profile Photo

Being more of a standard modeller, I tend to follow the instructions which in most cases start with the interior.
    Also for this kit it is the cockpit which is constructed at first.
    I started with cutting out the parts which have to be painted in RLM02.
    The parts are nicely detailed by Tamiya already.

Parts painted in RLM02

• Profile Photo

Great start, my friend @johnb! Looking good!