Messerschmitt Bf109E Combo build

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 384 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Bf109E, Hasegawa, Messerschmitt, Tamiya, Werner Schroeder
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Thanks my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten), John (@johnb), and Erik (@airbum). It is nice to have a little momentum back.

• Profile Photo

Nose guns attached...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Tailplane support struts, main legs and (only at the E-4) bomb sway braces attached...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Really great progress, Spiros @fiveten

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

To add some realism I decided to open up some of the vents.

After consulting Erik @airbum, he gave me some clear descriptions about which vents to open and where they were used for.

The top end of the cowling should be open and because I did already glue it on, it was not an easy task to get that done.

Openings behind the cowl are the vents for the machine guns. Thanks again for the explanation, Erik.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Spiros (@fiveten): Really looking nice. Getting close to the finish line.

John (@johnb): You are a glutton for punishment. Opening these vents after the fuselage is already closed up must have been tough. They really look good, so I would say it was worth the effort.

I did some research on the red markings applied to my 109A after it was forced down. There are a handful of photos taken after the plane was captured in Spain, and another handful of photos of this plane during testing in Russia. Apparently the red panels which covered the markings were only present in Spain. The plane appears to be in natural metal in the pictures in Russia, so apparently all of the paint was removed. There are no photos that show all of the red panels in Spain, so the dimensions and location of these panels is conjectural. I found 3 depictions of this plane with the red panels in various books, and all of them are different. What we do know is the panels were painted in "Republican" red and that they covered the Condor Legion markings. So...I looked at the diagrams in the kit to see where the markings were located, and that is where I painted the panels. I used Vallejo Modelair Ferrari Red to paint the panels. I like the color, but it was really difficult to clean out of the airbrush. Some last painting tomorrow, and then final assembly. Yeah! I attempted to import 4 photos, but only 1 made it. Yesterday I got 100% to upload, today down to 25%. That's why this is frustrating.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Thanks my friend @johnb! Great idea to open these vents, looking very realistic!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @gblair! Those panels look really nice!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Those red panels do look very nice, George @gblair
    For cleaning the airbrush after using Vallejo, I use their airbrush cleaner but usually also lukewarm water does the job quite well.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, @gblair, thank you. Not the easiest approach to open up the vents after mounting the cowl I must admit. Just looking at it as a challenge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 6 months ago:

John, that is commitment - opening the cowl after it is glued in! Sorry that our conversation on these openings did not happen before you closed the fuselage, but you seem to have them done nicely @johnb.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Thanks, John (@johnb). I used their thinner first, and then tried 90% alcohol. Used each several times to finally get the airbrush clean. Red is traditionally hard to clean out, but this was very tough.

• Profile Photo

@airbum, thanks, Erik. It is my own fault, I remembered seeing those vents openend in one of your threads while I was mounting the cowling. Remove it would have likely caused more problems than trying to open the vents afterwards.

• Profile Photo

Shoes on...

Thanks for stopping by!