Messerschmitt Bf109E Combo build

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 384 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Bf109E, Hasegawa, Messerschmitt, Tamiya, Werner Schroeder
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Incredible work is on display here fellows ! I can hardly beleive my eyes.

Spiros, @fiveten
    You are on the home stretch now and the new shoes really look good ! (As do the brake lines, and everything else). 🙂

John, @johnb
    Your extra steps to open the cowling and MG vents were definitely worthwhile. Originally I was not going to do this to mine. But then as Erik mentioned, I did previously tell him that I was going to do it on my next 109 build. A man is only as good as his word, and I try to keep mine.

So after seeing how nice your model looks afterwards, (and also because I told Erik I was going to do it), I took the plunge too ! It took some time, but I am very happy with the results. I also thinned down the trailing edge of the cowlings. Pictures to follow soon : 🙂 I also hope to respond back to your last PM soon. Thanks my friend.

George, @gblair
    I'm sorry to hear you are having such a hard time with the pictures. Hopefully Martin can get it squared away for you soon. It has to be frustrating. On another note, your captured machine looks very nice in the silver with red trim. I want to eventually build up an Anton 109 and use the RLM 01 on it too. Yours is inspirational.

George, @chinesegeorge
    Your Yamaha paint work is INCREDIBLE ! You sir have some serious skills. 🙂

Erik, @airbum
    I originally did not open the holes on my trio of 109's. However, partially thanks to your reminder, and also having seen how nice John's plane looked afterwards, I took the plunge too. I also thinned down the trailing edge of the engine covers on two of these builds. On the first one it was too late, as I have already glued the engine cover firmly in place.

Please stand by and I'll post up some pictures next.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Here are the latest pictures showing the progress on the trio of Tamiya 109's. In hindsight, I should have built four of them... Rotte vs Schwarm
    Instead I have built a Kette.
    A lot has happened over the past few days.

I glued on the leading edge wing slats, horizontal stabilizers, dropped the flaps, and added an ETC rack on one of the E4's.

and on the Spanish Civil War E3 the engine cover. Here the spinner is temporarily pushed in place, and the front half of the spinner is lightly tacked with glue for painting purposes.

I sprayed on some White paint. The E3 will have white wing tips and rudder. The outer wing tips were painted this wide in preparation for painting the National insignia, (White circle insignia with the thin black crossed stripes). On the others, this white paint will act as a good base coat for the upcoming Yellow.

The underside of the noses were painted on the E4 kits. If you look even closer you can see how I carefully drilled out and filed the holes in the small scoop on the Starboard side of the nose. I also painted a portion of the engine crankcase using Black. This area is visible through the engine cover.

I also sprayed the engine cover. The radiator housings were assembled and also painted white.

I used a round file and carefully thinned down the plastic at the trailing edge of the upper engine cover.

It becomes highly visible once placed in position. Here you can see how it will eventually look after being thinned down some. This is only temporary for photo purposes, and not permanently installed yet.

I opened up the cooling holes above the fuselage mounted weapons. This was a bit tricky, but I got it done. I do think it is another good idea. Thanks Erik for the reminder. You will also see the cowl mounted MG's are in place too.

The rudders were also sprayed white. One will stay this color and I will add the black crossed lines on it before it gets permanently glued in place.

The spinners were also painted white, in preparation of the upcoming Yellow.

On Major Wick's aircraft I will leave the inner back plate in this color as it does not appear to the all yellow at this point of the aircraft's service history. It might have eventually all been painted yellow, but in this picture shown above, it appears to be a lighter color, likely white.

As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Your trio looks great, Louis (@lgardner). Painting as much as you can on the sprue is the way to go on these builds. Trying to interpret WW2 black and white photos is certainly frustrating, especially when you realize that some light colors can actually look dark in the photos thanks to the emulsions used back then. These will really be attractive when done.

• Profile Photo

I finished my Bf-109A today. Yeah! I will probably add some exhaust stains, as well as some gunpowder residue around the muzzles of the machine guns. I just realized this was a combo build for 109E's, so I built the wrong plane for the group build. Sorry. I had more photos, but these two were the only ones that would upload. I tried several times to get the rest to upload, but no luck. I don't think I will post this on Headlines with only two photos. I enjoyed building along with everyone and look forward to following your builds to the finish. Now that I have done some research into the Condor Legion and the Spanish Civil War, I want to do some more of the planes used by the Republicans and Nationalists. Some very cool and unusual modeling opportunities. Cheers.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

This is such wonderful progress, my friend @lgardner! An amazing trio!

• Profile Photo

Well done, my friend @gblair! Looks amazing! This is one striking 109!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Really nice progress, Louis @lgardner. Well done on opening the vents and scoops.

• Profile Photo

Very nice early 109, George @gblair. Let's hope you will be able to upload shortly, it would be great to see it on the headlines.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Louis, that is a lot of progress - and great to see you took the time to open the different vents and stuff. Makes a big difference @lgardner.

George, what a nice plane - Even though it is started as an Emil combo, I think it fits in well (and I seem to remember that John and Spiros did mention other marks were welcome) Perhaps we should start a dedicated 109 GB on iModeler? Your Anton is a very inspiring build - now I want a red "Anton" too! Good to see that you managed the small PE parts in the hood and windscreen too @gblair!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb), Spiros (@fiveten), and Erik (@airbum). I really like the way this one came out. The small photoetch was a trial. I had 4 small pieces for the canopy shoot into the carpet, and I managed to find all of them. I have never had that sort of luck before, so my Karma must be in good shape. I have found some info on a Fokker D.XXI that was used by the Republican side in the Spanish Civil War, so I may need to assemble the stuff I need and add it to the queue. Cheers

• Profile Photo

Touch ups and a black wash...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Looking very good, Spiros @fiveten

• Profile Photo

@gblair, no problem your 109 is an Anton, although this group started as an Emil one, all 109's are welcome of course.
    As said by Erik @airbum, having one common 109 groupbuild will be amazing. For sure I will join in once created.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!