Messerschmitt Bf109E Combo build

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 384 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Bf109E, Hasegawa, Messerschmitt, Tamiya, Werner Schroeder
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

After this and that, I call Otto "Otsch" Bertram's machine...

Done!

My sincere thanks to All Followers: could not have been such a fun ride without you!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    This looks magnificent !

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @lgardner!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Beautiful Emil, Spiros @fiveten
    Very nice scheme and also the weathering looks great.
    It was a pleasure to follow the rising of Otto's aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 6 months ago:

I managed to get a little more work done here on the Tamiya Emils.

I did some more research and realized I made a big mistake. I glued the ETC fuel tank rack under the fuselage of Major Wick's aircraft. In the pictures I have of his plane, it is not present.

Rather than attempt to remove it, things were much easier to simply start building another kit, since I have a few more left in the stash. Now I have 4 Tamiya Emil's started, in a "kindergarten" building fashion that was pioneered by our friend Erik.

This new build is almost caught up to the point where the others are now.

Going back to the others, I installed the clear parts on the Spanish Civil War E-3.

I wanted to build one of these E4 kits as a "Jabo" fighter. The problem is that a correct style ETC rack is not included in the Tamiya kit. So I did a little digging in my stash, and found exactly what I needed hidden in an Eduard 109E-1 box. It consisted of 5 parts in total.

Once it was assembled, I glued the completed rack in position. Here's what it looks like now. I present to you the "Jabo" Emil. Sharp eyed viewers will notice two small holes drilled out on the front of the rack.

As usual, comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Looks great, Spiros (@fiveten). I really like the early machines, especially in this camo. Well done.

If you start any more 109s, Louis (@lgardner), we will have to start calling you Erik Jr. Glad to see you are back from the land of the hurricanes.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends @johnb and @gblair!

• Profile Photo

This is a great way to overcome the "drop tank situation", my friend @lgardner! One more Emil then!

• Profile Photo

You really caught up quickly with the fourth one, Louis @lgardner
    Labelling them might be a good idea to not mix them up.
    Nice progress.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Well done @fiveten, it's been a pleasure to follow along!

@lgardner, one can never have too many 109's, so good call to start another! Inter-kittting can bring a lot of good parts to good use - nice touch to mate the Ed parts to your Emil.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 6 months ago:

@fiveten

Very nice Emil Spiros! Built that one when the kit was new, early nineties or so (time sure flies!) those Hasegawa are still very good kits in every aspect, and do make for a fun quick project as you proved here.

@lgardner good use of surplus parts there Louis, looking forward to see the complete model

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @holzhamer!

• Profile Photo

Masks applied on the canopy. The front and rear part are glued on already, the middle section is dry mounted because I want to present it with the canopy opened up.

Legs masked as well and primer applied.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Seeing a Tamiya Emil is like seeing an old friend 🙂

Usually the primer reveals no nasty surprises on these nice kits, and more progress is probably just around the corner.