Messerschmitt Bf109E Combo build

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 384 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Bf109E, Hasegawa, Messerschmitt, Tamiya, Werner Schroeder
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Nice masking and overall great result, my friend @johnb!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

@airbum, thank you, Erik. I was positively surprised after applying the primer. No corrections required indeed.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks, Spiros. Time to get the paint on, unfortunately I was not able to score the sand color at the hobby store yesterday. I did order it this morning, so have to wait for that.

• Profile Photo

Final stages...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

After "this and that", I call Peter-Paul Steindl's machine ..

Done!

Thanks all Followers, all Participants and, of course, Big Thanks to my Good Friend @johnb for the creation of this wonderful combo build!

• Profile Photo

Truly amazing build, particularly the camouflage, Spiros @fiveten
    It was my pleasure to have you participating this combo build, I need to speed up mine to finish shortly.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Spiros @fiveten
    Your 109 looks magnificent ! I should have some news to report on my 109's very soon, maybe in a day or so.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Thank my friend @lgardner! Loking forward to your update!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Finally started the paint session on mine Emil. RLM76 applied.
    My idea to create the desert scheme dots is to first paint the entire top surface RLM80. Then create some dots with patafix and paint RLM79. Anyone experience in this approach or maybe has better suggestions ofcourse.
    I'm not sufficiently to apply the dots freehanded.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Looking superb so far, my friend @johnb! Using Patafix sounds a very good idea, will likely produce superb results (I have never tried to replicate dots with Patafix, only streaks/lines, but I cannot see why it will not work with dots), will be somehow time consuming to apply all these teeny-tiny Patafix blobs though.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros. I will give it a try, best way to learn things is by simply doing them.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 6 months ago:

John, another method you could try is paint the overall sand first and then create a lot of masks with various holes in them. I used that method for my "Don Pedro", with mask elevated by a piece of cardboard to make the edge blurred. It was a large square area, but I suspect it could work on "blobs" too?

have fun!

• Profile Photo

@airbum, thanks for sharing, Erik. Sounds like a good solution as well.

• Profile Photo

Did give it a try to create some spots freehanded. I think my airbrush is really capable of producing these little spots. Only problem is, me, not being able to reproduce them on an entire aircraft. Once I have more confidence in airbrushing I might give this another try.

So I decided to fully paint the upper surface in RLM80 and once dry put several dots on it before applying the sand color.