Messerschmitt Bf109E Combo build

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 384 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Bf109E, Hasegawa, Messerschmitt, Tamiya, Werner Schroeder
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

A great finish to the build, Spiros (@fiveten). A distinctive paint scheme that has several elements I have never seen before. Well done.

I am sure you will get the mottle to work out, John (@johnb). I found out a long time ago that the airbrush was capable of doing a lot finer work, but the limiting factor was the workman holding the tool (me). I just find ways to work around the problem, like building models without mottle. :o)

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Very nice result @fiveten. For some reason, more people mess this scheme up than get it. You got it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Thanks my friends @gblair and @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

@gblair, thanks for the encouraging, George. Since they were applied randomly in the field, I can always use this as an excuses to hide any error.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Looking forward to see how the dots turn out @johnb!

• Profile Photo

Quite some work, but it is doable. Wondering how it will turn out once the sand color is applied.

• Profile Photo

Masking/dotting done.

• Profile Photo

The "Patafixing" looks extremely well done, my friend @johnb!
    I foresee a wonderful result!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros. Just noticed that there is the demarcation line between the RLM79 and RLM76. Need to see how I'm going to create that.

• Profile Photo

I think your excellent skills will easily and quickly sort this out, my friend @johnb!
    Looking forward to your results!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 7 months ago:

I would think the easiest would be to paint blue first, then make a line with cardboard or massive amounts of gum and masking tape to hide the blue areas from the sand. And I would think you need to make sure you spray at right angles to get the blurred effect?

Have fun!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, @airbum, thanks for all those excellent tips.

The approach chosen is to apply the yellow first as can be seen on the picture. Once dry I will remove the patafix which is on the yellow surface only. Next I will gently lift the dots, on the yellow side only, which are on the demarcation line. Apply tape to cover the yellow part and fold back the patafix dots. Let's hope the execution is as easy as the explenation.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Looking forward to seeing the results, John (@johnb). Great idea to take care of this type of camo.

• Profile Photo

Looking superb so far, my friend @johnb! Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo

@gblair, @fiveten, thanks a lot.