Messerschmitt Bf109E Combo build

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 384 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Bf109E, Hasegawa, Messerschmitt, Tamiya, Werner Schroeder
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 8 months ago:

If you guys don't mind, I think I may hop on the combo build. I don't usually build 109s, but I plan to build the Dora Wings 1/48 Bf-109A/B basically straight from the box. It appears to be a well-made kit and has the photoetch and canopy masks already included in the box.

The plane I have in mind is a Bf-109A that was in the first batch of planes sent to Spain for the Condor Legion. Aircraft 6x15 was forced down behind Republican lines and was captured. It was evaluated by Spanish and French pilots, and was eventually sent to Russia. One history I read said that the Germans recaptured the plane after they invaded Russia.

There is a lot of contradictory information about these early planes. Some references say they were painted in RLM 01 Silver, while others say the planes were natural metal with a lacquer protective layer, and others say they were painted in a light gray color. There are a number of photos of these planes, and it is very difficult to tell if they are silver or light gray. Most of the sources I can find say that the first batch of 109s arrived in RLM 01, with possibly some natural metal panels. I plan to go with the RLM 01 scheme, and it will be a game time decision about natural metal panels.

The next decision has to do with the markings the plane received after being captured. Written accounts say that the plane received red markings to cover the previous markings. I could only find one photo that appears to show a dark panel on the one wing visible in the photo. I like the idea of these red markings. I have found some diagrams that show these areas as broad areas of red covering the previous markings on the wings, the tail, and the rear fuselage. I think I will go with similar markings.

Finally, a lot of 109 sources state that it appears that this first batch of planes arrived with the panel lines on the rear fuselage taped and puttied, similar to P-51 wings. In most of the photos I can find of 109As, you cannot see panel lines on the rear fuselage. In some photos, you can faintly see the panel lines. Some sources say that the missing panel lines are simply due to old/poor photographs, but from my examination of the photos I think they were puttied. That's my plan for this plane.

So, please remember that I don't build many 109s and I am certainly not a 109 expert. I know a lot of you have a lot more knowledge about the 109 than I do, which is why I am building this kit out of the box. Have mercy on me if I inadvertently build some inaccuracy into the model. A quick note about the Dora Wings kit. I read several build reviews online for this kit. Some say the kit goes together perfectly, while some say that it required major surgery to make things fit, along with loads of filler. I plan to follow Tom Cleaver's (@tcinla) mantra for these short run kits: Test fit first, adjust if needed, then commit to glue. I know I won't be able to catch up to Spiros (@fiveten), but maybe I can catch up to John (@johnb). Off we go. :o)

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Actually @fiveten, the differences between the E-4 and E-7 are indiscernible externally. Many E-4's were filed-modified for drop tanks, so even that isn't necessarily an identification point. There's no difference between the canopies. The differences were mostly internal.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

This is yet one of your amazing entries, my friend @gblair! The more you research the more you discover and, possibly, the merrier questions are raised. This is very natural, easily understood by a good number of us who are fortunate to having been close to real planes for long times and is yet one of the magic aspects of modeling. Your camo rendition is highly justified and I really look forward to see the nice Dora kit tackled by your skills.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for this info, my friend @tcinla! It is really nice to learn all these details regarding the type. Having built a number of models, it might sound interesting that these here are my first 109s (and, by the way, are the initial "uncorrected mold" Hasegawa releases). By building them the well known "109 affection" is starting to emerge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

@fiveten, Bertram's machine looks very nice after the unmasking, Spiros.

@gblair, great to hear you will join this build as well, George. Love to see your progress on this two blade 109.

@tcinla, thank you, Tom. There are so many variants and even sub-variants of the 109 that it is difficult to keep an entire overview of all those differences by heart.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 8 months ago:

@fiveten and @johnb, the E-4 and E-7 were actually slightly different from the factory, as the E-4 had the open-end spinner and the E-7 had a closed one. Now, that is not true when we look at the E.7 Trop that were delivered with the closed spinner. Anyway, hard work and use changed them in the field, and even the "square" hood/windscreen is no giveaway as this was sometimes retrofitted on E-1's and E-3's, and you might even find E-4/7 with the "round" hood/windscreen. Some E-4a (Ea-4?) were even delivered with round hood/windscreen. That also leaves it open to personal preferences how you build your 109, using photographic material, and then call it whatever you want!

Wonderfully confusing world, those 109's. I have to re-check my library all the time (Great excuse for a nice cup...)

Happy modeling all!

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the great info, my friend @airbum! Wonderful 109 world!

• Profile Photo

A confusing but interesting world, Erik @airbum
    Thanks for the information.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Thanks, John (@johnb) and Spiros (@fiveten). I will get moving to see if I can get some modeling done.

• Profile Photo

Some more work done on the interior.
    I did give the decal seatbelts a try, but they did absolutely look far from realistic.
    Currently working on building seatbelts from masking tape.

• Profile Photo

Cockpit looks wonderful, my friend @ johnb! Looking forward to the seat belts!

• Profile Photo

Steindl's machine received its side "field applied" decoration...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

And here they are with all masks removed, in dire need of some touchups...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks for liking the interior, Spiros

Your Steindl camouflage turned out very nice. Is that done by freehand airbrushing.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!
    Yes, the disruptive camo was freehanded.