Revell 1/72 Focke-Wulf Fw 190 F-8/R14 - FINISHED

Started by Ronnie Olsthoorn · 44 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Ahh - yes. I have to train my eyes to look at the vertical pictures. Sorry I did not catch that in the first place. I bought a canon machine recently and still have to learn how to use it, but these are some pretty amazing machines, and with a bit of learning will enable one to make the most incredible masks (I hope). Your use here in 1/72 just proves thay are very useful tools. Thanks for sharing Ronnie @skyraider3d.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 2 years, 11 months ago:

excellent! And thanks for the H&S tip - I've been trying to mottle one of my 109s (1/72), and using my usual mixture of thin paint and low air pressure for small, close-in work, but kept getting clogged up with dried paint. I'll up the pressure and up the % of paint and practice with that a bit, and try again!

• Profile Photo
    Ronnie Olsthoorn said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Since I varnished the model before applying the black, I could easily remove the fuselage cross by sanding with fine Tamiya sponge.

I also decided to replace the windshield of the model with a scratchbuilt one. I recreated the piece from Focke-Wulf engineering drawings, but it didn't quite fit the model well (shame on you, Revell), so I guess I'll have to follow the kit part instead. As you can see I plotted perforations to help nail the fold lines, which worked remarkably well. A second layer for the framing should hide these.

I tried having another go at the Werke Nummer as well. My knife's blade had become a bit blunt from cutting plastic, so the tiny numbers didn't come out that crisp. But in all fairness, they are half a millimetre wide and I never dared hope cut such small details on a Cameo 3 in the first place!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I resprayed the fuselage crosses and this time they were spot on, but some jaggies remain from the old cross! I should've sanded a bit more... to be fixed!

Parts of the Werke Nummer didn't come through the mask that well. I ordered a new set of (detail) blades for the Cameo and will try a third time, but if results aren't any better I am pretty OK with how it is. On real airplanes this number would regularly wear off as well.

I used Mr Hobby Aqueous Rust Black for the markings and had plenty of paint left when done, so I decided having a go at spraying exhaust stains. That was fun! Being a full-build mule, I made up and tried out techniques on the fly, like lightly sanding the lower fuselage spray with wet Tamiya sponge moments after laying it down. It gave a nice streaking effect.

Next I loaded the airbrush with a pale grey paint and sprayed the top surfaces and markings with a thin mist (dirty thinner, really) in order to tone down the colours a bit and make everything sit well. Again using Tamiya sponge I did some sanding immediately after spraying and this helps lodge some extra paint in the few rivet lines I bothered to make, adding a nice touch of detail.

I trial-fitted the torpedo and was shocked how closely it sits being the propeller blades. The spinner spiral was masked with flexible Tamiya tape (that was before I had the Cameo). The bosses of the propeller blades were "painted" with Molotow 1mm chrome marker. In the bottom views you can also see the two fairings for the steering mechanism of the extended tail gear. The kit inexplicably only had a single fairing on the centreline, which was sanded off and replaced with scratch-built ones, made from a couple of halved 1/100th scale Sparrow missile heads.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great progress, Ronnie.
    Really like the thin mist idea, will try this myself as well.
    Exhaust stains look great as well.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Love what you do, Ronnie!
    This is amazing craftmanship!

• Profile Photo

Thanks very much!

Three times a charm, they say! I've had another go at masking and painting the WNr. on the tail. On my previous attempt the mask proved to be too tight and a bit distorted as well. So I came up with the idea of splitting up the digits and making them a little fatter as well. Using a couple of strips of tape as a placement guide, I sprayed the second mask immediately after the first (gotto love acrylics for drying fast). It worked! Although the numbers came out a bit rough (my bad for spraying too thick and fast), they'll do as I want to get on with a new kit. The digits are hardly 1 mm tall and about 0.5 mm wide. I can't actually read them with the naked eye very well, they're that small. Sitting on a shelf, it'll be more than adequate.
    I repainted the nose of the torpedo as well as the varnish had killed all the metallic sheen.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

The digits came out extremely well, Ronnie!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Very nice WNr. Ronnie.

• Profile Photo
    Ronnie Olsthoorn said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Not much progress lately (5 months? really?) but it's nearly there. Haven't touched it since September either, but what I've done since last update is making a new scratch-built canopy (first attempt in the background next to the mould) and I added Eduard's Fw 190 stencils (which need some diluted camo overspray as they stand out like a sore thumb), which are the only decals on the model. I was able to remove most carrier film (a curious feature of Eduard's new decals), but did damage a few stencils in the process. Brake lines added to the gear doors. (For some reason the cowling ring is missing in the pic.)

What's left to do is finish the windshield (cut from clear plastic using the Cameo), glue it all together and finalise the weathering. And some seat belts perhaps, if I can be bothered. It's taken long enough and I've already started a new kit! 😀

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Looking really great, my friend @skyraider3d!
    Al this extra work really shows!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

To me these are major steps, Ronnie @skyraider3d
    Your canopy looks perfect.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Amazing work @skyraider3d - not surprising either. Like I keep telling people, it is like riding a bike! This is going to be an really great piece of work when finished.

• Profile Photo
    Ronnie Olsthoorn said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Cheers gents!

Somehow this project lay dormant for a year... time to revive it. I recently bought a new camera and took a few fresh pics of the current status - 12 months of dust and all (oops!) 🙂

There's not much left to do. I don't intend to go to town on it, I just want to wrap it up and move on. It's been a fun learning exercise. The main task is to finish the scratch-built windscreen, tweak the scratch-built canopy (or maybe make a third as I'm not happy with either attempt yet), and to glue the bits together. O yes, and find, fix or 3D print the tail gear, which broke off and went AWOL.

The rear fuselage close-up intends to show the contrast between the airbrushed markings (the serial number being the smallest one at 0.5 mm width) and the Eduard stencils, which really are a bit too prominent. Not sure if it's worth trying to tone them down at this point.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Looks fantastic, my friend @skyraider3d! I would leave the Eduard stencils "as is".