Revell / Monogram 1/48 Ju-52 3M

Started by Louis Gardner · 102 · 3 weeks ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Walt, @luftwaffe-birdman
    Looking at the box art on the model in the picture you posted, I have one of the exact same kits in my stash. Who knows ? I might end up building all 3 "Tante Ju's" at the same time... But first I need to clear up some building space.

The aftermarket float set you scored looks very cool. I remember when I was a kid, I had the ancient MPC 1/72 scale Ju-52, and the floats were included in the box as a building option. Believe me, I was tempted to build it with the floats... but since I had just seen Martin Caidin's "Iron Annie" I wanted to build mine up painted very similar to his plane... so I didn't use the floats.

It sure would be cool to see on done up in 1/48 ... "hint, hint, hint... wink wink". šŸ˜‰

You definitely made a great score there ! Please by all means start a build journal here and get busy with building yours up !

Thanks buddy...

• Profile Photo

Csaba, @pikofix
    Thank you very much for posting this picture of Iron Annie. Just recently, I brought back some pictures from my mom's house, and I am fairly certain that I have a few pictures in this group of Annie when she was owned by Martin Caidin. I will have to go digging through the photos and then scan these into our computer. I will post them here once that task is completed.

That's a fantastic picture by the way, probably one of the best I have seen of her. Did you take it ?

From what I have read, I doubt that "Annie" will ever take to the skies again. Too bad, but understandable.

Now I have another question for everyone. What color were the Lufthansa Ju-52's painted in ? I have read where most say it was a very light gray... yet a few swear it was silver. She looks to be a light gray in the picture you posted.

What are your thoughts on this ?

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 10 months ago:

@lgardner - Yeah, there's a lot of us who learn things the hard way. šŸ™‚

• Profile Photo

Tom, @tcinla
    I hear you... Personally, I'm a Magna Cume Laude graduate from the "School of Hard Knocks". (I had to improperly spell the middle word because it was edited as being a bad word I guess)...Nothing teaches you quicker than a broken bone or two and some stitches...

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Alcohol is a silent killer. I can understand your frustration, it is terrible to watch someone losing everything because of alcohol.

Yes, I made the photo. We had a quite good spot next to the runway. Flensburg is a small town next to the Danish border, and the airport is used for general aviation only. It was easy to find a good spot for taking photos.

I was very close to sign up for a sightseeing tour on the Junkers, but for whatever reason I decided not to do that. I did not know that probably it was the last chance to do it.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Sorry about your family problems, Louis (@lgardner). There is only so much you can do, but you can't do it for them. I can sympathize because habits are very hard to break.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Sorry to hear this, my friend @lgardner.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 10 months ago:

@lgardner
    Itā€™s a curse having a close relative with addictive behaviours, alcohol or else, like your brother in law does. You canā€™t get lower than loosing all you had dear in your life to an addiction.
    I truly hope his suffering ends soon and may he see the light and the right path again.

Now, hereā€™s a most unusual photo, one that any fellow modeller presenting a diorama based on it would be called several names, distracted being the softer of them all šŸ™‚

During my prolonged house renovations I rediscovered a small book I purchased in one of my trips to Germany, the Flugzeug Archiv, volume 12. Thatā€™s were this color photo comes from.
    Just a provocative idea for your Junkers model my friend šŸ˜‰

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 2 years, 10 months ago:

That's an interesting photo, Pedro... I don't suppose there is any additional information regarding the codes or unit?

• Profile Photo

Pedro you sure know how to punch my buttons ! Thatā€™s a great picture and it would really draw some comments at a show. Maybe someday.

I have three of these 1/48 scale Monogram/ Pro Modeller Ju-52 kits. One kit is destined to be wearing the colors used by Lufthansa. One more will be wearing the colors of the Tante Ju planes that served in Spain as part of the Condor Legion. The last one will be painted in typical German Luftwaffe colors that were similar to what I saw on ā€œIron Annieā€. Should I ever get a chance to locate and build a 4th kit, this one shown in the picture is definitely in the running.

Speaking of which, I have found several different pictures that I took of her ā€œAnnieā€ that I was talking about earlier in this build journal. Once I get them scanned I will definitely post them. I have several of her flying in formation with other planes that were there on that weekend so many years ago.

Tomorrow morning is a very important day for us. They are checking Sandy to see if her cancer has returned. God I hope that it has not. Thereā€™s a very strong suspicion that it has.

Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

Thanks

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Hoping for the best, my friend @lgardner.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Wishing all the best, Louis.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros and John for the kind words. Here we are now at the imaging center.

Hereā€™s where cancer gets real. Real ugly. I pray that my darling wife of 27 years doesnā€™t have it again. But if she does then I hope and pray that they find it and then are able to remove every last cell of this blasted stuff.

Time will tell if this happens or not. Each day is a gift. Live like thereā€™s no tomorrow. In all actuality there might not be. We never really know from day to day. Make the most of every day, and try to laugh and say (or do) something kind for someone else.

Thanks again gents. We sincerely appreciate it.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Prayers headed your way, Louis.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 10 months ago:

@paulh
    Sorry Paul, this is the only available photo I have, as as you can read in the photo caption there isnā€™t even a suggestion as to which transport unit it might belong.

@lgardner
    Louis my friend, thatā€™s an unfortunate development, and one I sincerely hoped not to happen. My prayers and positive thoughts for Sandy health