Revell / Monogram 1/48 Ju-52 3M

Started by Louis Gardner · 102 · 2 weeks ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

The LHS here where I live has a military version of this for $50. I’m tempted to buy it, but its size keeps me from bring it home. I’ve considered getting a 1/72 model of it instead. Your photographs show it to be a nice model … I’m looking forward to seeing your finished aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

@lgardner
    Yep, time flies indeed! I had lost memory about this project of yours my friend.

Good thing you found the proper kit to depict the version you wanted to build originally, and thank you for posting a side-by-side comparison of both which is the first time I recall seeing… who knew Monogram had actually made 2 such distinct moulds back then?
    Looking forward to see your next instalments 😉

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

Nice Score on the civilian version! It is cool to see that Monogram did their homework when they made the two versions. Both may not be 100% correct (what kit is) but they are distinctly different. I hope this inspires you to complete the build Louis, @lgardner. I have the Military kit and a set of floats to put it on. I really want to build it but need a break after I finish the B-24.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

Thank you all for the kind comments about this project.

Yes I am very excited about getting this very rare kit. It will definitely help me to make a better and more accurate version of this iconic aircraft. I never thought I would be able to get it, simply because they are bringing some astronomical prices lately.

I was consigning myself into believing that this model was indeed made of unobtainium, and I had almost given up hope of ever finding one that I could afford.

It was meant to be. The modeling Gods were smiling on me this time. Now to keep them happy. LOL

It’s going to be like a trip down memory lane for me and remind me about the time I was able to spend with my dad who was with me when we were given the tour of “Iron Annie” by Martin Caiden who was the owner at the time.

Only many years later did I realize the significance of this. I actually got to sit in the pilot’s seat of the world’s oldest surviving Ju-52, and then watch it get put through its paces as he flew it.

The most memorable thing for me besides the opportunity to walk through the whole interior of this plane, was watching it fly.

Mr. Caiden demonstrated his short take off for all of us. He would stand on the brakes, rev up all three engines to take off power and then let her rip !

It seemed like the tail section was up in a few feet and then within a very short distance of about 500 feet the plane was airborne.

It reminded me of watching movie clips showing how some of the First World War German pilots and how they would perform a takeoff in an Albatros from a standing stop. They would do something similar. If you watched closely at how they did it, you would see that they actually pushed the stick forward to raise the tail section almost immediately as the wheel chocks were pulled away and they opened the throttle. They didn’t have any brakes to hold them still as they poured on the power. I was always wondering how they didn’t get a prop strike during the process.

This was some incredible stuff to see in person, especially when I was a very aviation minded teenager at the time. Words can’t describe how it felt to be there and experience this in person.

Now knowing what I do now about this particular plane, I realize just what a tremendous gift it was to experience it in person. I have indeed lived a blessed life.

Thanks again everyone. I have to finish up several projects that are on the bench before I can get busy with this one.

I was a bit concerned about how the civilian version of the model had a tail skid. But the military version was molded with a tail wheel.

Thankfully it looks like I can safely build it either way. The aircraft was modified from a tail skid which it had originally as can be seen in this photo.

Then at some point later in the service career it was modified to a tail wheel version. You can see that in this next photo here.

I will definitely be building both of these kits at the same time. Looking at the parts in the boxes also reminded me of just how big this beautiful plane is.

Did I just say this Junkers 52 was beautiful ? It has to be the effects of too much glue. Or maybe we should get out more often…… Either way I’m pleading the 5th Amendment here.

So please keep checking in to see when I post the next updates.

As always comments are always welcome and encouraged.

Thanks again for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 weeks ago:

Hello again everyone. I wasn't able to properly reply back to your comments using my cell phone. Now I'm logged back in on our computer so it can be done now.

Spiros Pendedekas
    I agree with you 110 percent my friend. I couldn't have been more lucky to have scored this kit and especially at the price I did. I'm glad you enjoyed the tutorial on the main differences between these two kits.

John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    Thank you my friend. Like you, I didn't realize all of the differences between these two kits until I started doing some research about them. Then it became even more obvious once I had the plastic parts laid out next to each other from the two kits side by side. I'm glad you found the differences I posted useful.

Yes I will definitely be building both planes at the same time. So please look forward to seeing that.
    Thanks again.

Stephen W Towle (@stephen-w-towle)
    Hello again Stephen... Yes it sure does sound like that. There was a movie called "The Life and Times of the Outlaw Jose Wales"... but I'm no Clint Eastwood, and the era we live in is almost 150 years too late now. 😉

It has been an eye opener for both my wife and I, with everything we went through with my step son, and the continuing battle with my wife's cancer. I'll chime in right here and mention it again...

Every day is a gift.

Earlier today I went back and read the whole Ju-52 journal, from the very beginning to right now. It reminded me of the things we went through with him back then, and all of the trouble / turmoil it caused everyone who was involved with him.

Alcohol, or any kind of addiction can ruin a person's life. I used to jokingly say "You can lead a horse to water... and then they drink Vodka." Very true. His troubles ended sometime between a short span of several days. His body was found in his car, parked in a Walmart parking lot. His mom had texted him on one afternoon, and she heard from him later on that same day.

The next time we heard about him was when a detective called us and asked those words that no parent ever wants to hear... Are you the parent of a man named ? ... then to find out they "think" his body was in the car for at least two days.

So we immediately drove over to the scene which was about an hour away. The coroner was loading his zippered body bag up into his transport vehicle, and the photos had all been taken for evidence. Because I have seen countless number of scenes exactly like this, I knew what to expect. So I tried to protect his mom from seeing something that would remain with her for the rest of her life. I asked her to please not to go and look in the car.

Eventually she did go look. But by this time he was no longer inside, and his body was on the way to the Coroner's office for the upcoming autopsy. The scene was documented by the Police, and the car was turned over to the tow truck driver. It was NASTY inside. That's all I'm going to say about that.

So she didn't get to see him in the horrible state he was in. For that I'm thankful. No mother should ever have to see their son, especially the youngest son, no matter what age they are, in a condition like this. Sadly though, it does happen once in a while.

Unfortunately for her, she never got to see him again, since she elected to have his casket closed with no viewing.

However, I didn't realize it at the time, but his mom said she never got closure because of this. This is something I didn't think about. I was simply trying to protect her from seeing the horrors, (and smells) that were still lurking around inside his car.

I understand her thoughts too. There are some times when I wish I had never seen some of the things that I have. I didn't want her to carry this kind of emotional trauma with her from now on, if you will.

Did I make the correct choice ? I'll never know for sure, but my heart thinks that I did. I did what I thought was correct at the time, and will live with the consequences for this from now on. If I had to go through it again, I would do things the same way.

We are hoping that he is at peace now, and is no longer suffering from anything. We don't even know for sure if he had any kind of religion at the time of his death. So this is a hard thing to digest. On another note, we finally got his tombstone completed and installed on his grave site... and this was another nightmare and we had to settle with what we ended up with. We definitely didn't get the same grave marker that we ordered... and to think it only took almost two years to happen ! That's some SWEET customer service right there.

The moral of this story today boys and girls is this: Do your research and background checks on any business that you deal with when it comes to your final arrangements. This is especially true when you are greiving and the most vulnerable. Do yourself a big favor by checking things out ahead of time if you can.

There ARE some shady people out there who will LIE to your face... repeatedly... and act like it's a normal thing to do.

At least now, with the passing of time, and having a permanent grave marker / headstone in place, his mom is finally getting some closure that she desperately needed. I can only imagine what parents go through that have never known what happened to their child, especially those who are labelled as "missing in action'..

OK I have just dumped another chapter on you with the "Life and times of LG"... 😉 sorry... so let's get this train back on the tracks.

I have seen those questions posted where people can ask Eduard about this or that... I think it's an excellent idea too, and I can't wait to see some more early Mustangs and anything P-40 they come out with. Come to think about it, having some more options for P-47's would be great too.

Hint hint ... Hey Eduard ! How about a nice 1/48 scale P-47N for starters ? Food for thought... 🙂

Yes sir, modelling is indeed great therapy... I'm living proof of that.

• Profile Photo

Jay Mitchell (@ssgt)
    Hello again Jay. I'm a big fan of this kit. It has details in it that one could only dream about in 1/72 scale right out of the box. From what I have read, the fit is good too. Other than breaking off the control surfaces during construction, I have not read too many negative things about it.

The only downfall is the sheer size of it. She's definitely a big boned girl, and is going to take up some real estate. But 1/48 scale Ju-52's need some luvin' too ! Not every 1/48 scale model is destined to be a Spitfire, Ki-61, MC 202, or a Mustang. Think about the feelings of the Junkers... and how it would feel to be shunned. 😉 Just put a lock on the refrigerator door that's all.

I'm just having fun with you brother. It's all good... and now I hope I have not offended anyone. Jeez, Louise... what fun times we live in huh ?

If I have I will edit this part out...

I have built the ancient MPC kit as a kid and it was a 1/72 scale model. At the time I was tempted to build it with the floats mounted on in place of the standard wheels.

I say go for it, especially at that price. Dam the torpedoes' man ! Full speed ahead !

I have to finish up several builds on the work bench right now for an obligation I have underway. Then I will get cranking on this one, so please stay tuned. If by chance you end up getting a Ju-52, (in any scale), please fell free to join in here with it, if you want to that is. If not, that's cool too, I understand.

Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo

Pedro L. Rocha (@holzhamer)
    My dear friend, I am still alive and kicking ! It's great to hear from you. I have had so many different journals underway at the same time here on Imodeler, that it's no wonder you lost track of this one. I am in the process of tidying up some of them. Several will be completely done before I get busy with building these two Ju-52's.

This includes a Mustang or two... maybe even more. I have a great set of Eduard Donald Duck decals that have been begging me to use them for WAY too long now. Carol's Revenge / Wonder Weapon is another plane to look for in the near future... I know it's not spelled that way, it's the English version. Thanks again by the way.

I had no idea these two different versions of the Monogram / Revell Monogram even existed. Not until I started doing some research into the subject did I become aware of it myself... Originally I thought there was not too much of a difference either... and boy was I ever WRONG !

I didn't include every little detail with the side by side comparisons. There was enough differences to include two completely different sets of plastic parts trees in the box.

Maybe I should do an in depth kit review on these two types before I start cutting the plastic, just in case there are others want to learn about the differences too. Hmmm Maybe. Time will tell. I am very impressed that they took the time to go through all of the trouble to do this for us. My hat's off to them, and it's highly commendable.

It will be a little while before I get busy with building this one. I need to complete a few other projects that were started so I can make room to work on this one. So I will be sure to give you a heads up a little in advance before the work commences on this one.

Now that I'm thinking about it, didn't we also have a pair of Dornier 17's we were working on together ? 😉

Thanks again for everything, and please keep in touch.

Stay safe brother. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman)
    Hey Walt ! Let me start out by saying I'm VERY impressed with how "The Blue Streak" is looking right now. I have been up to my elbows in alligators lately, and have not had hardly any time for building. I have also not been logging in here lately either.

As soon as possible I'll stop by and leave a nice comment on your B-24... which I presume is getting closer to the finish line now. Very impressive too I'll add.

I was definitely in the right place at the right time with making this purchase. It was listed once before, and no one even bid on it. I was thinking to myself there HAS to be something wrong with it... and the truth is far from this. It was a PERFECT kit in a factory sealed box ! Just the complete opposite of what I (and probably everyone else too) expected.

So at the end of the auction, when I was the only active bidder, you can't believe at just how stoked I was to score this one. The "Modelling God's" were indeed smiling on me that day. It was meant to be.

Yes sir, it looks like Monogram definitely did their homework on this one. It looks to be a very good model. I'm very surprised, and thankful that they took the time to make two more different sets of plastic trees to make the civilian version. I honestly think I would have messed this one up had I attempted to make all of these mods myself.

I have saved the part I cut out from the dorsal gunner position and should be able to glue it back in position. Once that's done, I can continue on with building the first kit as a dedicated military cargo plane, and the second one as the personal transport of the Fuhrer himself... in Lufthansa D-2600 livery.

The hard part is going to be which paint scheme to go with for the military plane... Spanish Civil War ?

Or maybe build the one that was recovered not far from where

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    lives in Greece ? This is what Spiros said about this plane...

The Junkers Ju-52 at the HAF museum has Werknummer 7607, sign DH+KG, year of construction 1942. It was shot down over the island of Leros, Greece, on 14 November 1943.

Or the one on display not too far from John's
    John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    home in the Netherlands ?

Or do I build this one that Pedro
    Pedro L. Rocha (@holzhamer)
    shared a picture of this one with us ? This is a Ju-52 that was flown into "Afrika" from the Eastern Front. Notice how odd the winter camouflage looks in the desert... Talk about a big contrast ! I also happen to have a model of a Kubelwagen in "Ye Olde Stash". Just sayin'...

Part of me wants to relive a small portion of my childhood and build a Ju-52 that was painted similarly to the one that I saw, which was flown around for several years in our area, and owned by Martin Caiden. He named his Junkers "Iron Annie", and it is the oldest surviving Ju-52 in the world. Now it is owned by Lufthansa and is back in Germany again.
    Little did I know at the time... when we got the special tour given to Dad and I by Mr. Caiden himself... I actually got to sit in the pilot's seat that day... It made me a VERY happy young man. Later on this same day I snapped several pictures... This is one of them I took that day. Sadly they are deteriorating and the colors are shifting now. I have scanned them in our computer, so I may be able to edit them and bring the colors back to how they were back in the day. It might be fun trying to do that... Hmmm.

It turns out, that Gary Brantley (@garybrantley)
    also saw this very same plane in Texas a year or two after my Dad and I saw it in Central Florida.

If I build one like this it will have to have the Yellow markings on the cowlings and the undersides of the wing tips.

I want to finish up several builds before I get busy with working on this one. It will be a little while before this happens. I will give you a heads up about it before I start the project. Who knows ? Maybe by that time, you might feel up to building yours. It would REALLY look cool on floats... I have never seen one done like that in 1/48 scale.

and you would always be welcome to join in with building yours here too.

I really need to finish up my B-24 "Tubarao"...

Thanks again for everything.

As always, comments are encouraged, and thanks for stopping by.

Take care everyone.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 weeks ago:

I read the whole blog from almost 3 years ago to present, at least Pedro had several comments, I didn't post one, so I am really late for the party and totally missed this Whip. I tell ya it was fun to read it all, it took an hour from stem to stern. Monogram also did the same with the C-47/DC-3 kits one miltiary the other a true civilian airliner. Now about the AC-47 don't know it if it was just adding parts to the C-47 kit. I only have the AC-47 kit for now, none of the other 2 kits. The Ju-52 to the Luftwaffe was the C-47 to the Allies when it came to transports, both iconic and distinctive when you see one. At the Chino Planes of Fame there was a Ford Tri-motor, that plane is large too when you walk up to it. I would love to have seen both the Tri-motor and a Ju-52 next to each other. Sadly it crashed at the Fullerton airport in Orange County in 1986. I don't recall if it was the same one I saw fly in Chino. There is a kit 72nd scale of the Tri-motor, I don't believe there is one in 48th scale. Still want to express my deepest condolences of the fate of your wifes son, I remember how tough those days were prior and the difficult decisions that had to be made. He is at peace now. Thanks for sharing the motivation in building a very nice yet seldom seen build of the Ju-52. Will look forward when you get back into getting all started. Thanks for sharing.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 weeks ago:

@lgardner

Yep, you are quite right Louis, we still have a pair of Flying Pencils to complete in a thread that must be as old as this one 😂 I’ll send you a pm later this weekend about this Cheers

• Profile Photo
    Kevin M. Batterman said 3 weeks ago:

Louis I saw it built up several years ago and it was an impressive model. From what I have read it goes together well. The other PM models I built were a pleasure such as the F-84 and F-86D and fit like a Tamiya kit.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 weeks, 6 days ago:

Glad you are back, Louis (@lgardner). Looking forward to seeing how you plan to finish this model. I always wanted to do one in desert colors. There is a photo running around someplace of one in two-tone desert camo with Afrika Korps palm trees under the cockpit. Cheers