Revell / Monogram 1/48 Ju-52 3M

Started by Louis Gardner · 102 · 3 weeks ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 9 months ago:

John, @j-healy
    Thank you, and yes our hobby is therapeutic. The time also has a way of flying by as we work on our models. What would typically seem like 15 minutes is actually 2 hours !

Take care my friend.

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten
    Thank you for the kind words. I was careful with how I glued the warped wing parts together. I also placed the wings in a large heavy book and closed the pages while they dried. This seemed to keep things straight and squared while it dried in position. I should have taken pictures of this and posted them.

This kit is a very nice one, and other than the logo placement, I like it a lot. I also hope to build one of my Ju-52's as the same plane in your museum. Thank you for sharing the fuselage code numbers with me. I have not been building much lately, but I have been looking at the postings here on Imodeler and at other sites.

Congratulations on your headline builds on M2 ! They are well deserved. Thank you for all of your assistance with keeping things running smoothly.

I do sincerely appreciate this.

• Profile Photo

George, @gblair
    Thank you for the compliments on the work I have done so far. I came across the idea to use railroad scale plastic sheeting to make the patch replacement panel where the rear tail gunner was originally located on the kit. It seems to be the perfect size and matches the corrugations very well.

I was not happy with the placement of the company logo, (or the Country of manufacture) location. They could have placed this is an area that was much easier to deal with... Now I am dealing with a similar thing on the F-84E tribute build which is part of the Korean War group.

But complaining about this placement is not fixing it... so I will get busy with the razor blade and fine sand paper. I'll be sure to use some tape to protect the surrounding areas.

Thanks again for all of your help with the markings on this build. Now I am thinking about making some sort of curtain to hide the interior behind... as this plane had a more luxurious interior than the ones did that typically served in service with the Luftwaffe. What are your thoughts on this ?

Thanks again and take care my friend.

• Profile Photo

John, @johnb
    Yes I was very surprised with the logo placement. I have yet to deal with the problem, but I am fairly certain that I can make it all disappear with some tape, sand paper and eventually paint. I will post up some pictures when I do this.

Thank you for stopping by.

Please stay tuned as I make another update.

• Profile Photo

Hello again everyone. I have not been working on models lately. Lots of other "life" things have been interrupting the hobby... How dare they ! When life gives you lemons,... you make lemonade.

I was able to get the corrugated patch panel installed. I had to glue it in slowly a little at a time. I also had to slice into the plastic along the lines, to allow it to bend more easily. Once this was done, it fit very well.

The next step was to protect the surrounding corrugated metal effects. I used blue tape for this purpose.

Then I started sanding on the contour to get it to look the same. I used a light and checked how it looked in the shadows. This is an old paint and body trick I learned over the years of working on cars.

Once I was happy with the overall shape and how it fit along the edges...

I used a scribing tool that I have had for years. It's made by Bare Metal Foil and it was used to deepen the corrugations after the profile sanding was done.

This removed plastic a little at a time and I am very happy with the results. Hopefully it will look even better under some paint.

Speaking of paint... Lufthansa had a specific gray color that they used on most of their aircraft from this era, according to what I have read on various online forums. There was one person who claimed this plane was actually an aluminum / silver color according to one eye witness that saw this plane as a child...

I know that our memory is subject to changing things, and how we have perceived them over time. But in some cases, the memory is just as sharp as it was the day it happened.

What are your thoughts on this ?

Lufthansa Gray, or an aluminum color ? I'm leaning towards Lufthansa Gray, but I would like to hear what you think...

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

You did exceptional well on this panel, Louis @lgardner.
    Fantastic scratchbuilding I have to say.
    Regarding the color, I always thought they were grey, but no proof for that.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

This is such a great blending of the corrugated plate onto the main structure, my friend @lgardner! Kudos to your craftsmanship, I will definitely use your technique on similar cases.
    Well...I would personally go for Lufthansa gray, as well: looks more likely to have been such painted...
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Hey Louis! @lgardner

Glad to see you back at the workbench again mate 🙂

I have to say that your solution to get that conversion made in your Tante Ju is very ingenious… and equally impressive because O believe the end result will be faultless.

As for the colour I can’t be of assistance since civil colors is not my playground.

As for memory, well you know that nothing is 100% sure in that matter. I had situations were my memory tricked me in certain facts I could swear that happens exactly as so and so, but other people that shared that moment proved me wrong, so who knows of that lady’s recollections are true?

Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Seems I have missed some posts. Nice work on that patch Louis, @lgardner, it should be pretty seamless when you get done. The corrugations look like the come close to lining up, but not quite perfectly. A little work and your magic scriber should blend it nicely. I am following closely as even though I am only about 1/3 way through my current build, I am debating between a Ju52 or B-24 for my next build. It really looks like a nice kit that goes together pretty well so far.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 9 months ago:

That's a very interesting way to solve the problem of the gun position. The only other solution is to get the Ju-52 airliner kit - which is unfortunately made from unobtainium.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 9 months ago:

That's some fine surgical precision on your fuselage modification, Louis. I have often thought about getting some of the corrugated sheet styrene for contingencies, but I never thought of this use for it. More than half the fun of a model can be in getting these things fixed and finding yourself over the hump.

Good to see you back in the saddle on this build.

• Profile Photo

John, @johnb
    Thank you for the compliments on the modification. I will end up painting the Junkers in a light gray color. Now I need to determine a good color that will closely match the Lufthansa Gray.

Spiros, @fiveten
    My friend you are very good when it comes to scratch building. Hearing this compliment coming from you is very nice. Thank you Sir ! The railroad scale corrugated plastic is "close enough" for me. It looks even better after some light scribing work.

Yes I agree, these Lufthansa Junkers 52 planes were likely painted a light gray. Thanks for your input.

Pedro, @holzhamer
    It is very good to be back at it working on models again. Two weeks away is two weeks too long ! I am very happy with the "improvised" Junkers corrugated patch. The rail road scale plastic made by Evergreen seems to be very close in the spacing. It's not exactly perfect, but it's close enough for me, and that's what counts. It looked even better after I made a few passes down each line with the scriber tool. Thanks for your advice on Luftwaffe military colors in the past. It always seemed to be spot on. I do sincerely appreciate that. Yes memory can be altered over time... once again you are correct. Now how did you know it was a lady who made the comment about seeing D-2600 in person as a child ? It sounds to me like your memory is quite sharp !

Take care my friend. I'm looking forward to seeing your next installment on the Schlacht planes. Meanwhile I posted some pictures for you over there... 😉

Walt, @luftwaffe-birdman
    Thanks for stopping by and checking out this build. It has been a little while since I have posted any updates on it. I also want to thank you for the compliments on the patch work. It is not perfect, but I did it in a manner that makes it look like it should be there. These planes were covered with different sized corrugations. It depended on where the location was as to what type or size of corrugated material was used. It even used regular flat sheet in some areas.
    This is a very nice kit. So far I am very happy with it. As far as your next project, I'm sure that whatever plane you pick, it will be the right one. I would lean towards building the Junkers, but that's just me. The B-24 is a cool plane too.

Tom, @tcinla
    I accidentally stumbled across the material I used. It turns out I was looking at the various sheets of Evergreen plastic I have, when this railroad card fell out of the pile. It landed face up, and as I picked it up from the floor the light bulb went off... It's very close, but not exact. It's so close that it is plausible. My patch is not 100% perfect, but it's good enough for me. It should look even better under some paint.

I saw a red / black "airliner" Lufthansa 1/48 Junkers 52 kit on EBay a while ago. It was named "Richtofen" and that explained the color...it was also a Revell of Germany kit. That was the other option, but I didn't want to pay for the humongous shipping cost coming all the way from Germany. I have 3 of these kits in the stash. The plastic is identical in each one. They all have the wheel spats, trousers, pants, (whatever you want to call them), and the "dust bin" too. I do have plans to build one up as a Condor Legion Tante Ju.

Does the "airliner" version of this kit include a new separate fuselage "roof" part that eliminates the rear gunner's position ? Inquiring minds want to know. It would also be cool if they offered a new seating arrangement. I don't think the Fuhrer would like to have sat on military style seats for too long.

Colin, @coling
    Thanks for the compliments on the patch work. Improvising can be just as much fun as the actual building itself. Now I am getting ready to either make some curtains for the side windows, or start scratching some airline style seating. This should be fun ! Please stay tuned... by the way, you are really doing a fantastic job on your Heinkel 111.

It is good to be back... Let's hope things remain "as is" for a little while.

• Profile Photo

Here are some pictures showing the corrugated patch work after the blue tape has been removed. Depending on how the light hits this, you can see that it is not perfect, but these planes were not perfect either. This is close enough for me.

You can see the two holes I left open. I will likely use these for the rear cabin vents that were found on some of these planes.

Overall it looks decent. It should look better under some light gray paint.

I have several books that show a lot of things about this plane. This one is a good book to use as a reference.

Inside it has a good picture showing the interior of a "V.I.P." Junkers 52. You will notice the seating arrangement is not the same as what is found on a regular Luftwaffe aircraft.

So I have a decision to make... do I make some tiny curtains for each window and hide the military style interior ?

Or do I go for it and attempt to scratch build this more elegant interior ?

I would really like to hear your thoughts about this.

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Coming along well, Louis. I really like the work you did with the corrugated sheet.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

The corrugated "patch" job looks super, my friend @lgardner!

Regarding the interior...well, I might not be the right person for even expressing my opinion, since I typically don't spend a lot of time at my passenger interiors, often leaving them unpainted, or, even worse, without even the floors, "saving" them for use as sheet styrene at other projects, oh my...

It is true that, even in 1/48, not a lot can be seen through those windows; taking this into account, both of your "solutions" have their strong and weak points, with the second one requiring A LOT of scratch building...

If I had to choose between the two solutions, I would go for the first "curtain" one: yes, the interior might not be 100% accurate, but nobody (save the Penlight Ruler Police) could be able to see it!

Take care, my good friend!