Trumpeter Me262A-1a/U3 photo-reconnaissance conversion

Started by Paul Higgins · 25 · 11 months ago · 1/32, Me262, Trumpeter
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 1 year ago:

Hi, folks... first up, Happy Easter. I hope you all have a great time, especially enjoying your chocolate easter eggs... :-).

This variant of the Me262 is not available as one of Trumpeter's offerings, but using the AIMS conversion set for the camera bay, I hope it will turn out to be an interesting addition to my collection. It's a version that I've always wanted to build as a large scale kit; having built three 262s from this company, I'm aware of the various issues, although if I have three, they can't be too bad. The biggest issue so far has been drawing the fuselage sides together as the fit of the internal sections - the cockpit tub and the camera bay - is very neat, so much so that no adhesive is required for those particular areas. There is some rear fuselage detail which will, in large part, never be seen unless the side areas are cut away but I added it in anyway.

I've been at this model for ten days now and I must have used yards and yards of fuse wire to do some additional detailing, well... that's what it feels like. I have to apologise for the lack of more photos, but I just got so engrossed and indeed, determined, to get through all of the wiring that I didn't get around to taking many images. However, there is a video in progress and that will show more detail in due course, should you wish to look in on it.

What I intend to do is to build one engine for display and the other will be fully cowled. The floor and rear bulkhead of the cannon bay have had the integral detail removed, and the former has had sections removed to accommodate the cameras. The nosewheel bay links into the camera bay and has had a few alterations made to it as well for a better fit.

So, what you see in the images below is the extent of the work so far; I found the layout for a fair number of the engine sub-assemblies and their attendant pieces confusing, and in one particular section the left-sided attachments were shown on a right-side presentation of the engine. I only realised this and the impact it had on the engine assembly process half way through, and there were several instances of requiring to take sections apart and reattach them to their correct neighbouring section. Despite all of this, I would still recommend the model as it is very good and makes up into an eye-catching finished kit... just take care and acquaint yourself fully with the instruction sheet before starting.

The engine to be displayed needed an extension to the rear area as the outlet at the back is moulded inside the rear cover; I made this alteration using a 1/72 scale engine cowling from the spares box. Not an exact representation, but certainly close.

The cockpit is reasonably detailed but can be made to look better with some additional work, in particular the cabling behind the instrument panel. Not a lot will be seen when the windshield goes on, but certainly enough to enhance the appearance; seatbelts are provided in the kit and look good when painted and attached. The instrument surrounds were hand-painted so as to give the panel a more realistic finish.

After the amount of time taken to wire the engine and cokckpit, I was beginning to flag somewhat, but I managed to get through the process of completing this work for the camera bay a couple of days ago and I'm pleased with the outcome.

At present, it's just gone 3am, so I think I deserve some sleep! I will try to take more photos from here on in and get them uploaded soon. Until then, thanks for looking in.

Regards,

Paul

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Another great entry and superb progress so far, my friend @paulh! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

Excellent progress, Paul @paulh
    Already a lot of amazing detailing on engines and interior.
    Looking forward to the next steps

• Profile Photo

Hi, folks... some more photos of this build. Nothing overly exciting but important nonetheless. So, first up, on closer inspection, I did not like the finished paintwork on the cameras so I have temporarily removed them and you can see in the first image, they have been repainted far better second time around, using a spraygun. Why I thought using a paintbrush would be better, I don't know, but it was clear to me that the allegedly thin coats of paint I'd applied were nothing as good as they should've been and looked more akin to an aerial photo of the trench networks on the Western front in WW1! Anyway, I'm pleased to inform that the 'wires' I'd attached to them were very forgiving and I didn't have much of a probelm removing them, nor do I think they will be difficult to reinsert.

Although this is not going to be an overly detailed build, 1/32 scale does offer the opportunities to enhance a model noticeably, so I made inserts to sit under the rear fuselage cockpit fairing and the hydraulic resevoir on the left side under the cockpit, scratch-built from plastic card and scrap resin. I also made a very basic balsa wood template which served to keep me right to a certain extent with creating a plastic card version for attaching into the left side underwing area as this is the side that I hope to have one of the engines on display. A few sink holes had to be coevered over as well as they may be in areas visible to a viewer after completion. The right side engine will be fully cowled but I have opened up the hatches on its intake uppersurfaces.

The various openings and appertures on the wing insert aren't 100% accurate, but they do convey some basic detail which will be needed as this area would simply have been just part of the wing on the real aircraft and therefore, will be completely exposed.

And for now, you can see these areas of progress, including some of the engine detail in the last row of photos, with the final two showing the outline of some of the access hatches on small pieces of plastic card, before and after getting them to something suitable for working with.

So, that's us for now. A lot of time spent on fiddly things of late, but I am enjoying it. The underside of the cockpit tub/main undercarriage bay has been attended to today with some more 'wiring' and in the next few days, I may be able to get the wing into position, too. Thanks for looking in, and I'll catch up with you all in due course.

Regards,

Paul

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year ago:

@paulh
    Very interesting conversion Paul.
    Not my scale but that doesn’t take the appeal of the subject. How do you find the AIMS pieces?

• Profile Photo

Hi, Pedro... yes, the AIMS conversion pieces are very good. Many of them being resin, there is always a bit of a tricky process in successfully removing the plinths without damaging them where there are thin edges to contend with, but their fit is pretty good and only need slight adjustments, for example, with the forward fuselage covers around the camera bay and the like. The PE parts are also well made, so I have no issues with their manufacture.

It's also nice to have a less well-known variant to work with. From the three Trumpeter '262' kits available, five variants can be modelled if you include this conversion set, and also if you leave the radar antenna and internal equipment off the night-fighter variant, giving you the possibility of making a trainer, so it's certainly a good basis for building up a small fleet of late-war jets... ;-).

• Profile Photo

Great overall progress, my friend @paulh!

• Profile Photo

Excellent detailing work, Paul @paulh

• Profile Photo

Hi, guys... I managed to get some more work done on this build over the last week, and things are progressing well, generally speaking, with one or two frustrating bits to go back and rework, but here's the progress to date.

I got the lower wing into postition and strapped it up to ensure a decent fit, thereafter adding the upper wing pieces and the forward nose panel which is a resin part from the AIMS conversion set. The join lines of the fuselage were awkward to deal with, especially where the lower wing inserts into place. The underside rear fuselage section was at differing levels in itself, and therefore at two different levels where it met the wing. At the front, the wing insert sat too high. However, with a little reworking after padding these areas out with filler, and doing a bit of the dreaded rescribing, I got things to look okay.

The parts for the lower forward fuselage with the camera bay transparencies had their thin film of resin from the production process removed, and two replacement parts from thin transparent card were worked to the correct shape and put into position, secured in place with Kyrstal Klear. These parts have since been attached to the model, filled out with plastic card and filler where needs be, then sanded smooth.

The next issue was the windshield, part of which was not transparent on the real aircraft so can be painted in the camouflage colours. However, the fit was good at the front and poor the closer it got to the cockpit centre area, with the sides edging inwards slightly, but noticeably; the same issue exists for the rear canopy section as well. You can see the temporary insert into the windshield to take advantage of the very small amount of play in 'stretching' this piece to get it to fit better, although it still needed some amount of water-based filler to make it half decent; both pieces are now on but hopefully the camouflage will conceal the ill-fitting pieces to a degree. Of the two, I'd say the front transparency looks better than the rear one, but I've left it as it is now, as the last thing I need is to cause a crack in these pieces. On the credit side, they are very clear.

After attaching the cowled engine, it decided to part company during the application of the initial undercoat. It was reattached and I took the time to remove other offending items like small bit of dried glue around the nose area; The join on the rear fairing at the back of the cockpit was certainly a pain in the neck, and the upper fuselage join is still a tad iffy, but I'll leave that as it is now, too.

I used the undersection cowling from the uncowled engine as spray painting practice for some freehand pre-shading. I was a bit apprehensive in doing this for reasons I'm not quite sure of. I've done shading on some of my WW1 models, but this is the frst time I think I've ever done it on a WW2 kit, and of course, with the larger scale, any errors will be magnified. I also spent time today getting the undercarriage legs sorted. I decided to use the plastic nosewheel leg as I wanted to make adjustments to it, but go so carried away, I also painted up the plastic main undercarriage legs instead of using the metal ones provided. I'll see how it goes... if it's unsteady, I can alway replace the main legs with the metal ones.

The last few photos show the model as it is at present. The camera bay covers have been attached on a temporary basis, as have the control surfaces; the former will be completely removed after the colour scheme is finished and will not be on the model, but will be nearby. Little point in converting the aircraft to the reconnaissance version if the cameras are covered, methinks. You can also see the undersides of the airframe with its pre-shading now complete. I restricted it to the undersides for this initial attempt, and am rather pleased with how it turned out.

So, that's all for now. Thanks for looking in and I hope you like how the models looks so far... ;-).

Regards,

Paul

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Superb job so far, my friend @paulh!

• Profile Photo

Very impressive, Paul @paulh

• Profile Photo

Spiros/John... thanks for your comments ;-).

Picking up from where I left off, the first photo below shows the tyres after the've been made to look a little 'weary'. I saw a guy online doing his build of the Revell 1/32 scale Me262, and noted his technique for doing this with the tyres on his kit. He was using weathering materials, but I don't really use them and didn't have anything light-coloured to bring out the detail. So, I mixed a very pale cream using oil paints, applied a thin coat over the tyres and left them for ten minutes or so. I then removed the excess using small lint-free pads and, with the exception of a few small areas which needed a further bit of attention, I was happy with this outcome. I should add that Trumpeter do not provide plastic tyres for this model, only rubber ones, but as these things go, they are rather smart if a little too black for my liking, and all the more reason for toning them down.

Other than that, I spent the afternoon yesterday concentrating on getting the main part of the colour scheme applied. I won't have as much time over this weekend to work on the model, and I didn't want to come back to this piece of work next week, so onwards and upwards.

Many of the images available online and in publications show photo-reconnaissance variants of the Me262 with a single or possibly double application of green. It seems still to be open to some interpretation, but I elected to do a double application of what passes for RLM83 green. I had next to no Humbrol RLM83 equivalent left, but combined what I had with their RLM82 shade to give the rather fluid remnants of the RLM83 some substance. This was a good compromise and after a few false starts - you can see my practice efforts on the piece of paper on my desk! - I managed to get a good covering with that shade.

I then took some Humbrol RLM74 equivalent and mixed it with some of the previous shade just to darken it slightly. From Claes Sundin's 'More Luftwaffe Fighter Aircraft in Profile' publication, which has a very good paint chart, I noted that there was an alternative shade of RLM83, hence the reason for darkening my original mix. This was applied over the first wave pattern and you can see the end results in the photos below.

After gloss varnishing the model, I started to remove the tissue paper I'd put into the main wheel bay and that's when I noticed a very small amount of plastic showing through, which the tissue had successfully covered and I hadn't noticed, so a little bit of additional work needed there in due course. Otherwise, however, I'm very happy with the outcome and I can get the build moved on a bit further next week.

So, that's all for now. Thanks again for looking in... will catch up with you all soon ;-).

Regards,

Paul

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Fantastic weathering technique and ditto painting, my friend @paulh!
    Looking excellent so far!

• Profile Photo

Those tyres are very nicely weathered, Paul @paulh
    Nicely applied scheme as well.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Higgins said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Hi, folks... the next batch of photos are attached below. I've been rather busy, but more as a result of my... shall we say 'bungling ineptitude', rather than anything else. Things were progressing well, which is usually a bit of an alarm for me to proceed with caution, but despite that, I managed to mess up big time.

So, the first issue was trying to append the markings. The kit crosses for the fuselage and upper wing positions were excellent, especially when I cut away the transparent carrier film in between the arms, and they settled onto the surface without an issue. I can't remember why, but the kit swastikas didn't appeal so I replaced them with items from the spares box. The few small stencils used were from the kit, and the number '29' codes for the forward fuselage, along with the serial numbers positioned either side on the rear fuselage under the horizontal tailplane.

I'd sourced the AIMS markings produced by Fantasy Printshop to compliment the conversion set, but I'm sad to inform they did not impress me; the carrier film on my offering was very glossy, making everything a bit on the thick side and absolutely determined not to conform to the fuselage sides unless smothered in decal solution. It was also clear that it was the same for the serial numbers, and that the likelihood of silvering was high. After leaving them to try and settle for a while, the serial numbers were as bright and shiny as the sun and were immediately removed and replaced by homemade alternative. I couldn't really do the same with the code numbers as there are, as far as I know, no other manufacturers who offer these markings in this scale. After much effort, they did begin to conform but despite puncturing and making careful incisions along straight or diagonal edges of the markings to open up the carrier film to the setting solutions, there were still a few areas that were already silvering. I decided to leave them in situ and try and work out a way to at least reduce or remove this problem.

The next issue was working on the undersides. I'd managed to do rather a decent pre-shading initially, but this all headed south when I was compelled to make an additional batch of my homemade blackwash which was not of the same consistency as the previous one; this lead to the blackwash staining some of the underside areas more than I wanted amd it proved very stubborn - and in places impossible - to remove. In my efforts to correct this, the hue of the pale blue-grey became deeper and deeper in the effected areas and the whole thing became a mess. Time to finish up for the evening and hope for the best the next day...

When it arrived, I decided to overspray the entire undersurfaces with a pale gey to give a uniform canvas to start over again, then I put the pre-shading onto that despite thinking it was a bit dodgy looking, and then over the next few hours, I carefully overlaid the underside camouflage shade again, with at least as good a finish as my original attempt, so I was - eventually - rather happy and relieved, too, that I hadn't messed up the wave pattern on the rear fuselage under the horizontal tail and the sides of the engine cowlings. Before completing that process, I also got around to putting in some rudimentary detail on the wing where the uncovered engine will go, including the engine mounts and cowling attachment lugs, none of which was ever intended to be spot on re accuracy, but I did my best with the information available to me.

I now want to get some highlighting done on the surface detail so that will be next and hopefully, less stressful; then the undercarriage and finally, the second engine, the the reinstallation of the cameras and all other sundry items. So, things were touch and go for a while over the weekend, but I feel I've spent good time today getting back on track. The last two photos show a dry run of the model on its undercarriage, involving a perilous balancing act on carefully positioned items... the model stood like that for a few hours without any issue, so at least I know there will be few ballast issue.

More photos to follow soon, and thanks again for looking it.

Regards,

Paul

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.