Tussle in the Stratosphere - Me 109 G Photo Recon - 1/48 Eduard

Started by David Mills · 9 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    David Mills said 3 years ago:

Many thanks to Louis @lgardner for putting this build together!

My build was inspired from the account by Pierre Clostermann in his book 'The Big Show' one of my favourite accounts of fighter pilots during WW II.

One chapter 'Tussle in the Stratosphere' tells the story of Clostermann and his wingman intercepting a Me 109G at very high altitude over Scapa Flow.

This is my attempt at the Me 109G involved.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Looking forward to your excellent choice, David.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Welcome to this amazing GB, David!
    Looking forward to your great entry!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Gentlemen! @johnb,@fiveten,@lgardner
    This is the kit I will be starting with!
    I think this means the aircraft when finished will be an Me 109 G-6/R3 !

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years ago:

Good choice David, guess we are both dealing with optical cameras on this GB 🙂 looking forward to your next installment

• Profile Photo

Thanks Pedro. I will be aiming to produce my build as per Clostermann's description of the Me 109 in his book.
    He gives a useful description, but fortunately one which leaves plenty of room for interpretation!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years ago:

David, @davem
    Thank you for starting this wonderful build journal. I have read the comments, and can tell right away this is going to be a great one already. Please keep us posted with updates as you can. I especially like the box art on your Eduard kit...

The artist has done a magnificent job with the 109, and the fire coming out from the engine of the helpless B-25 is eerily familiar to me.

Several years ago, I built a 1/48 scale Monogram B-25J wearing makings of a plane that one of our family members named Thomas Bricen flew 7 or so missions in a B-25J named "Stuff". He was a top turret gunner in B-25's, and he flew from Corsica in planes from the 321st Bomb Group. His plane had similar markings to the one on the Eduard box top has.

He was shot down and killed, when his plane took a direct hit from a ground based 88 Flak gun hit the Port side engine. The MACR report states that his plane went down just as the one in the Eduard box top illustration did.

Here's a copy of the article if you're interested.

On this Day, Oct. 3rd, 1944. A tribute to Staff Sgt. Thomas J. Bricen Jr. 445th Bomb Squadron, 321st Bomb Group Revell B-25J 1/48 scale
    Take care my friend, and I can't wait to see your next installment.
  • Profile Photo

Thank you Louis for the kind words!
    I had another look at your tribute to Thomas and the crew of Evora, and found it just as moving as when you first posted it.
    A bloody and often overlooked campaign !

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Great choice, David (@davem). It is hard to go wrong with an Eduard kit. Looking forward to your build.