Another Ta 152H - Finished!

Started by Eric Berg · 68 · 1 year ago · dml, Dragon, EagleCals, Jerry Crandall, Ta-152 H, Trimaster
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Looking mighty fine Erik @eb801
    The whole camo colours seem spot on from here

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Decals do indeed look great, Eric @eb801
    Almost there.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year ago:

Thanks guys, for the compliments. @johnb, @holzhamer, @fiveten, and @tcinla.

Wheels On!
    Since my last posting, I have attached the landing gear and wheels. I even went to the extra step of running brake lines. In reality, the lines split into two at the brake hubs but for simplicity's sake I just ran only one. Note that using part of the rear engine really makes a difference as one can see it clearly through the wheel wells. The undersides of the plane are now completed.

Standing Up, But...
    Ok, the Ta 152 is now standing up on it's own two feet but I am concerned about the angle of the gear. That they don't stick forward as much as they should to give it the proper stance. I believe the wheel hubs should be aligned slightly ahead of the leading wing edge. However the gear fit is what it is and there is no way to push the gear forward without breakage. Doesn't look right to me but I am going to have to live with it. Any comments?

Time to work on the topside now. When time permits.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year ago:

@eb801

Eric, itโ€™s really looking good when it comes to the paintwork.

About the UC legs, yep judging by your photo they do look a bit shy of the 190s rule, from which the Ta152 evolved from as you know.

Got this one from the Wiki page and serves the alignment angle of the UC purpose just fine. However take note that the tail wheel is completely down, probably no hydraulic pressure when the photo was taken. This makes the angle a bit more wide than it was when the AC was fully functional.

If you can, without compromising the plastic, try to get the legs angle a bit more forward. That would be my move, but then the model is yours ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Looking great, my friend @eb801!
    Indeed, the wheels are tad rear than what we typically see in 190s.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten and @holzhamer: Here's the problem. The UC gear parts are glued in the moulded slot. To push them forward would require snapping them off and re-gluing them at the correct angle and you know what that's going to look like.

I wish I could heat the gear legs up a bit so I could bend them without doing damage to the paint or surrounding parts. I need to think about this a bit more.

Any ideas how to proceed?

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

Excellent progress, Eric @eb801
    The added brake lines do look very nice.
    How about heating the plastic a bit and gently bend it forward

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year ago:

@eb801: You can bend them forward - just don't push really hard. Get them in position and then "lock it" with C-A glue. Easy-peasy - BT/DT.

• Profile Photo

That's what I have been doing TC @tcinla. I even put a mini wedge in the wheel well. Won't go any further without breaking off. Other ideas?

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year ago:

I actually have good success gluing broken gear back on - I use regular plastic glue, then surround the base of the gear leg with CA. You don't notice it and the two make a strong joint.

• Profile Photo

Success!

After much bending at the base and wiggling the gear legs around along with a boat load of CA glue I think I finally got right stance. Somehow I managed not to snap the gear off and it's a marked improvement, don't you think? @tcinla, @fiveten, @Johnb and @holzhamer.

Here's the clamping arrangement I used while the CA cement fully cured. I was battling the "memory" of the styrene. It kept wanting to go back to the original position.

And here we are standing up. Mo' better agreed?
    Thanks for that reference photo, Pedro.

• Profile Photo

A successful modification, Eric @eb801
    Looks much better this way.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Great that you found your way to address the legs angle, my friend @eb801! Looks perfect now!

• Profile Photo

Almost Finished!
    After almost three weeks of ignoring this Ta-152, I'm back on it after struggling with the angle of the landing gear and redoing the canopy. I discovered never clean the canopy with alcohol after dipping it in Future and allowing it to fully cure. Fogged it up in a second so it was back to starting all over and re-Futuring it. At the moment it is not glued in place. A few more things to do like adding exhaust stains, a pitot and wiring the antenna. Should be able to finish it up this coming weekend. Oh wait, it's Mother's Day this Sunday here in the States.

Part of the delay in finishing this is caused by working on three kits at the same time which I've never done before. I've got a now ancient Otaki F6F-3 early Hellcat almost ready for paint and am plowing away at DoraWings' Curtiss-Wright Jeep in various stages of completion in addition to this build.

• Profile Photo

Great save on the canopy, Eric @eb801
    It looks great already but after the final bits it will be a true gem.
    Same in the Netherlands, mothers day this Sunday, so priorities have to change.