P-51D Weaver's Nude

Started by Tom Bebout · 16 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Sorry to hear of Jerry's passing, here's two models finished using his great decals. I'll probably pop in with another Jug and a P-51 from those sheets. Stand by

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Both look great, my friend @tom-bebout!
    Looking forward to your next entries!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Going to use the Airfix P-51D kit and EagleCals #103 sheet. As noted above I've built Passion Wagon, aTamiya kit, but I haven't build Airfix's P-51D. Since both were in the stash I'll give her a go. May take awhile to finish as I'm a slow builder during the summer months. If anyone wants/needs Hurry Home Honey, send me your addy and they're yours.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Great choice, Tom @tom-bebout
    This Airfix kit is a nice one. Did build it myself and was very pleased with it. No major issues.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Great choice indeed, my friend @tom-bebout!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 10 months ago:

The Airfix kit is #2 behind Eduard's and may be a bit easier. That's an excellent choice of subject, @tom-bebout.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 10 months ago:

@tom-bebout! That’s a good kit, but don’t deviate from the instructions. I know what you mean about the summer months.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Finally got started on the Airfix P-51D. The instructions are well laid out but I must admit there seems to be a lot of parts for the cockpit as well as internal parts. Since I usually add an Ultracast seat with belts this was new for me to build a seat requiring 3 pieces.

The interior radiators and rear wheel well are all separate pieces as well. So we now have the cockpit in place. Added the side wall to the left half of the fuselage and used the kit decals for the IP as well some addition stencils form BarracudaCals. All decals went down well with no issues except some of the BarracudaCals are really small. Got her buttoned up and we now have something resembling a P-51.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Nice progress and great looks, my friend @tom-bebout!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Nice choice of nose art Tom 😉 @tom-bebout

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Great work on the interior, Tom @tom-bebout

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Looking good, Tom.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Made some major progress last week end. Covered the airframe with Tamiya Grey Fine Surface Primer which shows all your scratch marks etc. Once cleaned up I used Tamiya LP-70 Gloss Aluminum over all. I'm trying their new lacquer paint and it worked really well for me.

I did not use any Pledge/Future on her as the gloss paint gave me a nice smooth finish for the decals. Used a little of Solve Set on the decals and they snuggled down quite well. Next up was to high light the panel lines and as usual I used a black PittPen along with some home brew accent wash. It consists of equal parts Pledge/Future and water,then using a small paint brush I add black acrylic paint to a tint I like. Using a very fine brush small amounts are added to the model and capillarity action does the rest. Should have this one completed and posted some time this coming week.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Very nice progress, Tom @tom-bebout
    A coat of primer does indeed reveal all the imperfections, which in my case usually is a lot, but it gives you the opportunity to make the final corrections more easily.
    Perfect outcome of the panel lines, thanks for sharing the process.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Great progress, my friend @tom-bebout! Panel lines look really nice!