1/48 PIPER NE-1 **FINISHED**

Started by gary sausmikat · 80 · 7 months ago · 1/48, Hobbycraft, Jim Sullivan, Piper NE-1
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 8 months ago:

Looking very nice, Gary @gwskat. That tail wheel support looks fragile as heck. Not surprised it broke off but your scratched replacement looks as good as the original!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 8 months ago:

This project is going well, Gary @gwskat, despite the glitches. You're definitely right about this kit being light years better than the Hobbycraft kit. You're definitely getting the max out of it.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 8 months ago:

Thank you, All.

Eric...this is the kit fuselage with integral rear support. I knew I'd eventually break it off. I think my replacement looks better than the kits anyways.

Tom...Though I've been struggling with this build, of my own doings, I'm glad I took your advice at the start and switched to this kit. I will be starting the L-4 version in the near future for a diorama build. Hopefully I will have learned from this build on areas to be careful.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months ago:

Great replacement of the tail wheel structure, Gary @gwskat

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months ago:

Kits like this have their own idiosyncrasies, Gary (@gwskat), especially when you consider how much you can see through the windows. I am looking forward to seeing yours complete.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 months, 4 weeks ago:

gary sausmikat (@gwskat)
    I think you are doing an excellent job with this Piper. I especially like the scratched tail gear spring strut. It looks much more like the real thing. Keep it going buddy !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 7 months, 4 weeks ago:

Your replacement looks way better than the kit for sure, my friend @gwskat!

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

Getting close to the finish line:
    Applied some light weathering/accenting using an oil wash.
    Added elevator, rudder, tail wheel and wing rigging:

Added scratch made wing nav lights:

Added the windscreen seal using chart-pak tape cut to width.
    Added the fuel cap fuel amount indicator with thin wire.

Up next, finish the prop and pictures for the posting.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

gary sausmikat (@gwskat)
    Outstanding ! I never realized the aileron cables ran behind the struts like that. I also never knew the fuel gauge was like that. I have seen how the Waco UPF7 and Stearman used a glass bulb sight gauge with a float inside the tube, but I didn't know these early Pipers had a similar setup. So I just learned something here, thank you !

Your Piper is really looking the part now, especially with the scratched navigation lights. I can't wait to see how you paint the wooden prop. Some were painted in a solid color, instead of being stained, now I'm curious to see what you pick for the Piper. Pun intended. Say it really fast 3 times. 😉

I have seen your work before on your Stearman, and it was a work of art. This one will be the same I'm sure.

By the looks of things, this one will be in the headline section soon.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

Almost done and looking wonderful, my friend @gwskat!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

Very nice work on the rigging and scratch build navigation lights, Gary @gwskat

• Profile Photo

Thanks All. Calling it finished

Here's the prop, Louis.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

Very nice paintwork on that propeller, Gary @gwskat
    Will look great on the Piper.

• Profile Photo

Thanks All for following. Good luck and enjoy all your builds for Jim. Thanks again, Louis, for this successful group.

Posted on the Headlines:

Jim Sullivan Memorial Build, Piper NE-1
  • Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

Nothing quite as neat as yellow cub well done!