1/48 Revell PV-1 Ventura Tribute Build, NAS Deland, VPB-145, July 29th, 1943 *** FINISHED ***

Started by Louis Gardner · 43 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 9 months, 4 weeks ago:

Super looking Ventura Louis!. I've often wondered about that kit. Your build is making me think about getting one. I already have too many kits now, and I told myself that "Only if I really want one!". Well that sentiment is being tested today.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 9 months, 4 weeks ago:

Phenomenal stuff, Louis. I know how much you are committed to Jim’s build and to the history of your local airfield! Both are being wonderfully served by this fantastic work!

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 9 months, 4 weeks ago:

Love it Louis. Always enjoy the depth of your research when building. As far as the kitten destruction to the props, I’d stash those in case you want to do a crash build. The kitty already did the work for you 😉 . Anyway, you inspire me to try one of these at some point.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 9 months, 4 weeks ago:

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    I think you guys are right ! The cat knows more about model building than I thought... Thanks for the compliments my friends.

Carl Smoot (@clipper)
    I can say this is one of the very best building models I have had the pleasure of building recently. It's every bit as good as a Tamiya kit from the 1990's. I hear you about the model kit stash. I have way too many kits too, yet I still want to get another one of these... I want to build it up as a plane from either Deland or NAS Sanford as another tribute build. Getting two of them would really be nice ! That way I could paint one in the early War colors of Blue Gray over Light Gray, and then do another one in the Atlantic ASW scheme II. That would be the perfect solution...

Thanks for the kind words, and I think if you get one you will be pleased. Do we need another kit ? ... probably not. Do we want another kit ? Absolutely we do. Thanks again.

Paul Barber (@yellow10)
    Hey Paul ! It's great to hear from you buddy ! Thank you for the kind words. Yes I think that Jim would be happy to see I am finishing this one up, especially since we were talking about it via email only a few days before he passed away. I stopped by the original Deland hospital today.

I took some pictures that I will incorporate into the article for this build. The hospital was built in 1920, and now it's actually used as a museum. There's a lot of WW2 models on the 3rd floor. It's also entirely possible that two of the crew members from this memorial built actually could have died in this hospital. I'm not sure if the airport had a Naval sick bay that was set up properly to deal with a critically burned patient. I'll cover that in the article too. It's not too far off now.

Thanks for stopping by.

Matt Minnichsoffer (@coondog)
    Hey matt ! I'm sorry I never left you a comment on your 3D print / CAD designed motorcycle yet, as I said I was going to. I have not forgotten about it, and I will, I promise you that. Yes sir, the kitty has done a great job of destroying one of the props. It looks like it was shot numerous times, then bent during the crash landing... It's definitely worth keeping, as the hard work is indeed done. 😉

Thanks for the compliments on my research. I enjoy it as much as the building. Take care brother.

• Profile Photo

Yesterday was a VERY successful day in the "Iron Werke's" paint shop.

I started out by spraying on some Interior Green color. I painted the canopy framework, and also the bomb and landing gear bays.

The Intermediate Blue was not painted on yet, and the Dark Sea Blue was still drying.

But I wasn't happy with how it looked afterwards. After talking with Chuck Villanueva I decided to bite the bullet and do it all over again. So I went to plan B.

Out came the sanding sticks and I smoothed the paint out. I polished it up really nice and smooth.

• Profile Photo

This is what it looked like on the second time around. Much better I think.

I touched up the Flat White paint on the undersides. It needed some work because I had messed it up with over spray in several places.

The demarcation lines turned out nicely too. I'm also happy with the slight shine it has. This should be ready to add the decals now.

These last two pictures show you exactly where the model is at this point. If things continue as they are, I should have this one done in time to post on July 29th.

I still need to decide if I want to paint on the deicing boots or not. I have seen pictures of these planes with, and without them. Since this one was destined for service in the Atlantic, Caribbean and off the coast of Brazil it's possible they could have been removed prior to the crash.

It would have been much easier to paint them on first, and not glue the wings in place until the end. But who does things the easy way ? 😉

I have taken some pictures of the hospital that I want to include in the article today.

As always, comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 4 weeks ago:

The painting looks really great in the end, Louis @lgardner
    You are right, doing things the easy way would make modelling boring isn't it.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 9 months, 4 weeks ago:

You stuck in a non-fighter, Louis (@lgardner). This is one of my favorite planes. The camo came out really nicely. Did I miss what kind of paint you used? I have a couple of these in the garage awaiting a spot in the build queue. I want to build a model of one of the planes used in the Aleutian Islands. My Dad was stationed on Adak at the start of the war, so I have a soft spot for all things Aleutian. The decals should look great over the tri-color paint.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 9 months, 4 weeks ago:

Your Ventura is looking great, Louis @lgardner. Good idea for next time - attach the wings after painting.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 4 weeks ago:

Excellent results so far, my friend @lgardner!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 9 months, 4 weeks ago:

@lgardner - yes, you were right to make that second pass with the airbrush. It looks really good now.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great progress Louis @lgardner

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    Thank you for the compliments. We don't need boring builds now do we ? 😉

George R Blair Jr (@gblair)
    It is one of my favorites too, even more so after this kit has been mostly built, and I have been digging into the history. I'm definitely going to be getting another one or two of these in the near future. I used Model Master enamels to start out with. They were drying up, so I cut the paint with regular lacquer thinner from a paint store. It didn't have enough oil base so it wasn't sticking as good as it should. Then I had some sort of reaction between the lacquer thinner and the paint. The lacquer thinner caused the paint to congeal in the paint cup. It started acting (and looking) like cottage cheese ! It kept clogging up the tip, so I had to reduce it even more, to an almost water like consistency, after I strained it through a paint strainer. The ones that look like a "party hat".

I was not happy at all with how it was looking, so I broke out the nail sanding boards and smoothed the entire surface down. The next step involved MRP paints, and I sprayed them directly over top of the remaining Model Master enamels.

I think you will be very happy should you decide to build one of your Ventura kits in your stash. I say go for it when you can. I'll bet your Dad saw some stuff when he was there in the Aleutians. A lot of cold and wet weather more than anything I suppose. I have seen several photos and a few short video clips of American aircraft operating from the freshly scraped out PSP airfields. The runways were soaked with water and they still were taking off an landing in B-24's, P-38 and P-39's. These guys were tough !

I'll bet you are very proud of your Dad's service. I met a man who was there as an Infantry "grunt" fighting the Japanese on Attu once, some years ago. I ran a medical call to his house. Boy he was a tough old bird ! He suffered from a rare medical condition that was called "Attu-itis", and I'm not making the name up either. It was caused by having direct contact with the cold / frozen ground for an extended length of time. He and I actually had a very good conversation about his Army service.

Eric Berg (@eb801)
    Thank you my friend ! Yes sir, you can bet I will be leaving the wings off until the very end on the next time...

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    Thank you my friend for the kind words.

Tom Cleaver (@tcinla)
    Thank you, and I think so too, for several reasons. The Dark Sea Blue was just not looking right, and the Flat White was way too rough and pebbly. So I took a lot of time, and carefully sanded the affected areas with a nail sanding board, using various grits until it was nice and smooth, borderline gloss. Then I came back with several light coats of MRP paint. I couldn't be more pleased this time. Thank you.

David Mills (@davem)
    Thank you my friend !

Please stay tuned, as I have another installment coming right up next... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Here's the latest update on the Ventura.

Remember the chewed up propeller ? I replaced it with a pair of these that I picked up from Sprue Brothers.

The hubs were painted in Intermediate Blue.

While the prop blades were painted Black. There's a BIG difference between the skinny kit supplied propeller blades and the aftermarket ones...

which are a lot wider, and closely resemble the so called "combat prop" that was used on the Corsairs.

The landing gear doors were added, as were the wheels and tires.

I sprayed the drop tanks too. They are almost ready to install now.

Then it was time to add the stickers...

I didn't like how the nose mounted MG barrels looked, so I replaced the barrels with hollow brass rods. Once painted and installed, they looked much better I think.

It was time to paint the bombs. This plane was lost on a practice mission flight, so I opted to cut off the fuses on the nose of the bombs, and spray them Light Blue. Training bombs were inert, and painted in this color. They were loaded with sand and water to simulate the weight of the real thing.

Once dry, I glued the practice bombs in place. I'll come back later and do an oil wash inside the bomb bay and landing gear wells.

Then it was time to add the bomb bay doors... Let me tell you about them. Very fragile ! Fiddly, finicky, what ever you want to call them in this range they are. But the trade off is a realistic appearance.

You can't always have the cake and eat it too ! Even with the bomb bay troubles, I'm still getting another one (or two) of these. They are a very nice kit, and one always has the option to glue the doors shut. However, if you are bone headed like me, go ahead and open them up. It's worth it in the long run.

Take your time here and go slow. I let it set up over night.

Then I came back this morning and installed the lower sections of the bomb bay doors.

This concludes todays public service announcement. Good evening boys and girls.

As always, comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

This is really a superb result so far, my friend @lgardner! Great that you sourced prop replacements that look more realistic than the kit supplied ones. Great job on the bomb bay doors, too!
    Looking forward to your progress!