1/48 Revell PV-1 Ventura Tribute Build, NAS Deland, VPB-145, July 29th, 1943 *** FINISHED ***

Started by Louis Gardner · 43 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Very impressive progress, Louis @lgardner
    Those replacement barrels are a clear improvement over the original ones, same is valid for the propellors.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Looking really nice, Louis.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Looks really great, Louis (@lgardner). The colors and decals came out very well. Sorry about all the trouble with the paint. I also held on to my Model Master paint for as long as I could, but I tossed them when they got to the jello stage. I have never had any luck trying to revive paint and usually ended up ruining what I was doing. I just had some craft paint that I moved from San Antonio that I was using to paint scenery on my model trains. Many of the bottles had reached the point where they were like mayonnaise, but I still tried to thin them with water. Didn't work, so I tossed them and got some new ones. I should have just tossed them to start with, especially since new ones are only a dollar on sale.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Louis @lgardner: Your Ventura is sure moving forward in fine style. Those gun barrels really make it and the Quickboost props are much more accurate looking than Revell's. You're getting closer to the finish line now. You know Academy has re-popped this kit?

I also have a batch of ModelMaster acrylic and enamel jars all in good shape. But it's been several years since I used any. I continuer to use their silver and chrome enamels though. Seems to me once Rust-Oleum took over the quality sunk and the paint didn't seem to adhere like it used to, so I moved on. But I am a fan of acrylics.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 9 months ago:

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    Yes it was a good idea to replace the propellers. The new ones were painted and installed, and I think it looks much better now, and I can thank our new kitten for that.

Everything happens for a reason ! The bomb bay doors are fragile and tricky, but they look good once completed. Thanks for the kind words.

John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    I am very happy with how the replacement barrels turned out. It now looks much better having done this. The same applies to the replacement prop assembly. Thank you !

gary sausmikat (@gwskat)
    Thanks Gary ! Please stick around for the next update. I have finished the Ventura and I think you will like it.

George R Blair Jr (@gblair)
    Hmmm Mayonnaise ? Jelly ? Now I'm getting hungry... πŸ˜‰ I probably should have just tossed the old MM paint out too. It was clumping badly, likely a result of the lacquer thinner I used to make it spray able. It dried very lusterless and was ultra flat, with no sheen at all. The worst part was it didn't want to stick in some places because it had actually dried in mid air as it left my air brush, before it landed on the surface of the model. This gave the model a pebbly look, and was one of the many reasons I decided to remove it. I was actually thinking about stripping the entire surface using Easy Off oven cleaner. But I was concerned I might actually damage some of the detail work I had done on the engines. It would have been a fiasco if the oven cleaner somehow leaked into the cockpit as well.

Lesson learned. I should have tossed the old paint to begin with like you did.

Eric Berg (@eb801)
    Thank you for the compliments on the Ventura. Yes I knew about Academy re popping this kit. I appreciate you letting me know about it, just in case I didn't. This is one of the best fitting kits I have built in a long time, and I hope to get another one or two of them soon, maybe in a few months or so. I want to build one up painted in the ASW II scheme with the various White and Gray colors, with the red outline on the US National insignia. Then I wanted to build another tribute plane, for one that was lost nearby at NAS Sanford. This one will be wearing the early War Blue Gray over Light Gray, similar to the Corsair you are building "H-100".

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Please stay tuned for the next installment.

The PV-1 is done... Hey ! I'm a poet ! πŸ˜‰

• Profile Photo

Here is the latest building update.

I added some exhaust streaks using a cotton bud Q-tip, some ground up chalk dust and a Tamiya weathering deck. Since the underside was a Flat White color, it was very easy to do. It would also be easy to over do it here.

I also mixed up some turpentine and added in some Lamp Black, Payne's Gray, and Burnt Sienna to make a slurry that represented used engine oil. I slopped it on, applying it inside the wheel wells and bomb bay areas. It was applied on the engine oil coolers that are located under each engine.

Then I carefully blew it backwards using a blow nozzle and compressed air, following the direction of airflow as if the plane was in flight. I was concerned I might accidentally blow off the decals if too much air pressure was used. If you do this, use caution because too much air can damage the model.

I used a Q-tip to remove the excess oil residue. This made it look as if the ground crews had wiped down the airframe a few times with shop rags.

The reason why I did this now, instead of later, was it would have been much harder to do later after the drop tanks were added. This is another reason to wait installing the wings until the very end. On my next one I will add the wings last.

Speaking of the drop tanks, they were installed next. They look great I think.

The propeller were assembled and simply pressed on. They spin nicely too !

This is how the Ventura looked at this point.

I still had to add the radio antenna cables. This is done now too, and I tried something new (for me at least) here as well.

Some small antennae tensioning springs for the radio antenna cables were fabricated using some very thin wire. I also painted on the wing tip navigation lights, and the signaling lights under the fuselage.

Now I can call this PV-1 Ventura done. I have been writing the article, and the model has been photographed.

Please look for it to show up in the headlines section in a few days on July 29th.

This 1/48 scale Revell PV-1 is one of the best fitting models I have built to date. I'm definitely getting one or two more of these !

It was an absolute joy to build.

If you have one of them in your stash, treat yourself and build it. Knock the dust off the box and get to work on it ! You will be glad you did.

Thank you all for following along. You helped to make this one extra special.

As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 9 months ago:

Congrats on reaching the finish line Louis @lgarner. Magnificent antenna work and lots of it. You must have steady hands and lots of patience. What did you use for the wire?

Revell’s Ventura is indeed an excellent kit and a very enjoyable build. It is currently being reboxed by Academy.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months ago:

An amazing finish, Louis @lgardner
    This Ventura looks outstanding.
    Your work on the antenna wiring and the weathering is superb.
    Well done.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months ago:

What a superb result, my friend @lgardner!
    Congratulations!
    Looking forward to the headlines article!

• Profile Photo

It's been posted in the headlines section now.

1/48 Revell PV-1 Ventura, Bureau Number 34623, of VPB-145 at NAS Deland, July 29th, 1943
    Here is a link in case you are interested in reading the story about the NAS Deland and what happened to this crew. Eric Berg (@eb801) The antennae was made using "EZ line" and CA glue. John vd Biggelaar (@johnb) Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten) Thank you all for stopping by, looking, and especially for commenting.
  • Profile Photo

This is what she looks like in the headlines.

I have really enjoyed building this tribute model. Telling this story is something I have been wanting to do for a while now.

Thank you all for your continued support.

Take care, and as always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months ago:

She looks great on the headlines, Louis @lgardner
    Your supporting article is a pleasure to read as well.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months ago:

What a gorgeous result, my friend @lgardner!
    And the headlines article rocks too!
    Congratulations!