Another Tamiya F4u-1a

Started by David Butler · 55 · 10 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    David Butler said 11 months, 1 week ago:

I'm still in the middle of a Tamiya 1/48 P-38 G/F but with all the activity going on in the memorial build for Jim Sullivan I wanted to at least get my feet wet and get some progress underway with my entry.

I'll be building Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1a corsair in the markings of Maj. Marion Carl. Our friend @tom-bebout was kind enough to let me raid his stash of kits and even included some decals from Fundekals- Thank you Tom!

Work started in the cockpit- I used black primer, then zinc chromate, then interior green mixed with zinc chromate in an attempt to get some depth and color variation. Finished it off with some washes, dry brushing, and picking out various details with the brush.

I'm planning on adding seatbelts but am still undecided if I'll make my own from tape and various pe bits or just use a decal or perhaps even more ambitiously try and paint the pilot figure!

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 11 months, 1 week ago:

@dbutler - This is looking great David! The interior detailing is fantastic.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Amazing entry and ditto progress, my friend @dbutlr!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Off to a nice start. Seems Corsairs are the subject of choice for the Jim build! Since I really like Corsairs, I have absolutely no complaints about that.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Excellent entry, David @dbutlr
    Likely the same kit as I will be building so for sure going to use your thread as a reference as well.

• Profile Photo
    said 11 months, 1 week ago:

A lovely start, @dbutlr

I used your photos today to help me detail the 'pit on my Tamiya F4U-1D. It's been a long time since I worked on a prop plane, I needed a little guidance.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Nice looking cockpit with all that detail, David. You going to add belts?

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 11 months ago:

Looking good David, excellent start

• Profile Photo
    David Butler said 11 months ago:

Thanks @eb801 I am going to add belts. Debating between taking the easy route and doing a decal belt or making my own from tamiya tape and some PE little bits I have lying around.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months ago:

Interior looks great, David (@dbutlr). Should be a fun build.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 11 months ago:

David Butler (@dbutlr)
    First off, thank you for joining this group and for starting this build in Jim's honor. By the looks of things, you are well on your way with this one. The pilot's office is looking great !

Tom was kind enough to send me some Fundekals too. He sent me the ones to do the #740 and #883 Boyington Corsairs. This is something I have wanted to build for a while now.

Tom is a great fellow, and has helped me out on more than one occasion like this.

I'm looking forward to your next installment.

• Profile Photo

Did some work on the wheel wells, added some lead wire piping. I know that there is actually a lot more going on in there in real life but I only did the biggest details due to a lack of smaller gauge wire

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months ago:

This looks great, David @dbutlr
    Might go for this approach on mine as well if you agree on that.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

Looking really great, much more realistic, my friend @dbutlr!

• Profile Photo

yes absolutely @johnb I've found this video to be really helpful- some of the stuff he does is way out of my ability but I've tried to imitate what I can https://youtu.be/m3wm9CH4Aaw