Eduard 1/48 F6F-3 Hellcat, VF-27

Started by · 25 · 10 months ago · Eduard Profipack, F6F-3, GB, Hellcat, VF-27
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Very nice box content, Anna @tankgrrl
    May I ask which airbrush you did buy to replace your Aztec?

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

@tankgrrl - yes, the Navy leadership did opposed kill markings, but were overruled by King on grounds that allowing them promoted morale. they were done as stickers.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

@gblair - Paasche-H rules! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

@tankgrrl - I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with the 3D decals. I've just used my first set of 3d decals from Quinta and they are amazing to work with. I also picked up a set of Vallejo Model Air paints for my build. I don't airbrush much so I'm hoping they are relatively easy to work with.

• Profile Photo
    said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Hi Guys!

@johnb - John, I bought a Master Airbrush Model G79 All-Purpose Precision Fixed Dual-Action Trigger Style. It was $70 USD on Amazon. I've only sprayed some alcohol through it so far, but I think it will be much less frustrating to use.

@tcinla - I can actually sympathize with regulations and camouflage, but I've read that the carrier deck crews and maintenance guys were the ones that really got something out of seeing the kill stickers, so to me that would be the deciding factor.

@gblair - George, I've known quite a few people that have been happy with Paasche, I'm glad it works for you.

@fiveten - Spiros, thank you my friend, I'm excited for the project and the history I'm learning.

@brithebuilder - Brian I have 3D decals from Quinta, Babibi, and now Eduard, but I haven't yet used them. On airbrushing, I think a lot of my problems were the Aztec, that brush has been a lot of frustration over the decades, I tried for too long to follow the instructions but IMHO the brush was not good with acrylics. With Vallejo Model Air I'd suggest using Vallejo Airbrush thinner and a couple of drops of Flow Improver in the cup before you load with paint. I think both VMA and AMMO of MiG work best over primers, I've had good luck with both Vallejo and AMMO airbrush primer. I like to give the primer at least 24 hours to set before continuing. I've mixed VMA and AMMO paints in the cup with no issues.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

@tankgirrl: I have to echo what TC and George said. Paasche H’s rule. I bought my first one in 1974 and have used it daily ever since - for work purposes, not just modeling. They are the DC-3’s of airbrushes.

• Profile Photo

@tankgrrl, only the name of that airbrush is already worth the price 🙂 Seems like a good airbrush to me at a good pricing. Looking forward to your findings and results when using it.

• Profile Photo

@eb801 - I'm so used to double-action brushes now, it's how my painting style works.

@johnb - Thanks, John. 🙂 I'll have to learn a new trigger with it, but what I'm liking is it's pretty much metal parts, where that ghastly old Aztex was polymers. I think the G79 is going to be easier to clean and hopefully no frustration. Even using Hi-Flow tips designed for acrylics, I've had the tip seize and I could only clear it with acetone.

• Profile Photo

@tankgrrl, seems like you have a very nice airbrush. You will definitely benefit from it. I returned five years ago to modelling and decided to start with buying an airbrush. Had never used one before. I bought an entire set, compressor and gun, the gun is the Fengda BD-180 which is dual action as well. A cheap set and I didn't expect too much from it, but till now I'm quite happy with it.

• Profile Photo

@johnb - I love airbrushing in hobbies. A few years ago I got a nice, quiet compressor and I've done a lot of things, including gaming miniatures. The ghastly, horrid Aztec really gave me good results over the decades, I must admit.