New Tool 1/48 scale Eduard FM-2 "Wilder Cat" kit number 11175 *** FINISHED ***

Started by Louis Gardner · 117 · 8 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 9 months ago:

Louis @lgardner and Tom @tcinla

Detail&Scale Vol 30 for the F4F Wildcat has a color photo on page 37 looking straight down into the cockpit of the Pensacola FM-2. It is a bit dark down at the bottom but I do see the foot troughs. On page 55 is a black&white photo from Grumman of the XF4F-8 and it appears there is no floor, just foot troughs. Hope this helps?

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 9 months ago:

@lgardner - just for info, GM-built airplanes had interior green cockpits (Grumman-built Wildcats had Bronze Green cockpits. GM-built airplanes had the wheel well in the exterior color.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 9 months ago:

George R Blair Jr (@gblair)
    I made sure I took some very detailed close up pictures for you on the interior and engine mounting areas just ahead of the cockpit. I've built the old 1/32 Revell kit shortly after I first came back to the hobby in the mid 1990's, a few Tamiya F4F's and Hobby Boss F4F's both in 1/48 scale. This kit is the BEST Wildcat I have ever assembled so far.
    Here are a few pictures of the Hobby Boss "Kindergarten" I started a few months ago.

This Eduard kit is hands down better than the HB kits are. Once I heard they were releasing the FM-2, and knowing how HB scooted the pooch on their version of the FM-2 I wanted one immediately. Now I would really like to grab a few of the Eduard Over trees of this one when they become available. I want to build up a few training planes that were stationed nearby during the War, and I think the Eduard kit will be the best way to do this correctly.

Care must be taken though to make sure the parts are carefully prepped, because the fit is very precise.

Please stay tuned as I have a bunch of pictures to post up in a few. Thanks again. šŸ™‚

• Profile Photo

John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    Hey John ! Your wait is over, as I'm about to post up some nice detail pictures in a few. Please stand by and thanks for following along with this one too. šŸ™‚

• Profile Photo

Tom Cleaver (@tcinla)
    Thanks for the heads up about the various things that were different on the FM-2. I have a very fond childhood memory of when I got the chance to see a FM-2 in a mock dogfight with a T-6 (or SNJ) that was modified to look like a Zero. It happened over the Spruce Creek Fly In on a Thanksgiving weekend in the late 1970's or possibly 1980. I had the chance to look into the cockpit back then, but I don't remember squat about it having a floor or not since it has been so long ago.

Below are some of the pictures I took that day.

In this first picture, you can see the FM-2 in the background. Sadly these are old photos and they are turning colors now, getting dark in some places.

Here you can see the modified T-6 headed out to do battle overhead...

and the victorious Wildcat coming back after flaming the Zero for us overhead... man it was a cool day !

I have a few more pictures of the FM-2 from that day, but this is one of the better ones that shows off the engine details.

Judging from what I have seen in various online photos, it looks as if Eduard got it right... in all aspects of this kit.

After looking at your 1/48 Arma Hurricane, it looks like my wallet will probably take another hit around Christmas time... šŸ™‚

I have read where the first 100 or so FM-2's were reportedly painted in Dull Dark Green, but then switched over to the more typical Interior Green we see all the time. This same Wildcat website stated the colors used by Grumman as being Bronze Green on the early F4F-3's and switching over to Dull Dark Green on the later ones.
    I also read something about the rockets too, and they mentioned the bureau numbers when these changes came into effect... I'll try to find them again and I'll post them up when I do.

Thanks again.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 9 months ago:

Great thread, Louis. I just received mine today.

• Profile Photo

John Healy (@j-healy)
    You're going to fall in love with it !
    Thanks buddy ... šŸ™‚

• Profile Photo

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    Stand by my dear friend. I have some good pictures coming right up... šŸ™‚ Please tell QC-1 and QC-2 that we were asking about them.

• Profile Photo

David Odenwald (@kahu)
    Thank you for pointing this out. It was exactly what I was looking for. Thank You for this information, it was extremely helpful. I sincerely appreciate this.

If you have more to share with us, please feel free to do so here at any time. Thanks again. Your help is what allowed me to continue on with the building phase.

• Profile Photo

OK, here we go.

This following update has a LOT of photos. I'm posting them up in hopes it will help you if you are building one of these. Some places are a little bit tricky, so these should help.

Let's start out with the decal choices for this one. The kit has 10 different choices, and one is a FAA bird in camouflage. I can definitely see myself building one of those some day.

Because of the childhood memory I have watching one of these dogfighting overhead as a kid, and the very simple one color paint scheme, I'm leaning towards building this one. It looks somewhat close to how the Wildcat did that I watched overhead many years ago. It's close but not exact. Good enough for me...

I suspect the markings on the real plane I photographed all those years ago were not authentic, but I could be wrong too. It simply could have been wearing markings for another plane from another aircraft carrier group, that's all.

I have been wanting to build a Corsair with very similar markings, and they would look really good sitting next to each other... like this one built for the JS group by Tom Bebout.

What do you think ?

This one here is also a strong contender. Ralph Elliot was the leading FM-2 Ace with 9 kills. This one sounds good too.

This next one with the Shamrock on the wings and tail surfaces also caught my eye.

This last one rounds out the overall Gloss Sea Blue schemes using the kit supplied decals. I plan to get a few Over tree kits in a few months.

Which leads to this... these are the exhaust inserts. There are 3 different styles, and you need to pick out which one you will use. The choices are dependent upon which decal option you decide to build. They are not the same for each plane, so do a little reading before you start gluing these parts in place.

Remember the Hobby Boss "Kindergarten" I mentioned earlier ? Here is the HB version of the FM-2. It's a lighter Gray color plastic, and I laid it next to the darker color Gray Eduard parts to show the similarities.

This shows the differences between the vertical fin. I tried to line up the parts as best as could when I took these pictures.

Notice the difference around the cockpit opening. You can also see the differences around the exhaust panel openings.

This is the back of the engine. This part gets glued in place on the front of the engine mount assembly. Eventually the assembled engine will be mounted to this part.

I'm going to wait until after everything is painted before I do this however.

UPDATE :
    THE TURBO ORIENTATION IS WRONG.

IF YOU ASSEMBLE YOUR TURBO PIPES LIKE THIS, THE TUBES WILL BE TOO LOW. IT WILL NOT ALLOW THE LOWER FRONT FUSELAGE COVER TO FIT LATER. SEE THE NEXT PAGE FOR WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

These photos show the alignment of the engine mount. They also show how the turbo charger is installed on the lower engine mount tubing and landing gear braces.

The oil tank is mounted to the top of the engine mount.

The drive chains used to manually crank up the landing gear are glued in place to the firewall. The chains are painted a Steel color.

Everything else (except for the oil tank and center of the turbo) is supposed to be painted using the same colors as used on the rest of the underside.

I'm going to be spraying these soon, and picking out the details afterwards.

The rear lower cockpit bulkhead is not exactly where it should be in this photo. There is a small square depression on the lower edge of the fuselage half where the bulkhead clicks into place when it's properly located. It must have popped out of the correct position before I snapped this picture. I drew an indication line pointing / showing where it should go.

These are the previously assembled rear cockpit section with the seat installed. I wanted to show you how the angles looked in these pictures.

The front half of the cockpit was assembled too. This shows how it looks before painting and the PE parts are added.

I decided not to glue the front and rear sections together just yet. I will wait until after all of the little details and painting has been taken care of first.

While the glue was not completely set up, I temporarily placed the cockpit into a fuselage half. I wanted to make sure it all fit properly.

It fits great !

Take your time here and make sure all of the little attachment points are taken care of, and you will end up with a nice fitting model.

Next I slipped the front and rear cockpit sections together to take photos for you guys. This shows how it all looks
    once assembled.

I did not glue the front and rear sections together yet. That will happen later.

This was done only for taking pictures.

This part gets glued in place just ahead of the rudder troughs.

Tonight I hope to start painting these internal parts. Then hopefully tomorrow I can glue the fuselage together.

This is a GREAT kit... I'm really enjoying this one so far.
    Now once again I need to go find a piece of wood and knock on it for I have again jinxed myself...

as always, comments are encouraged.

Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo

I just finished spraying on some paint.

I also found what Dana Bell posted about the colors that were in use on the Wildcats as well. He made these comments about the colors on another modelling website. He also mentioned how he has "amended" his previous color recommendations because of recent discoveries he made in the archives.

This screen shot caption is from some time around 2016, so things could have changed again as far as the colors that were used...

I sprayed the engine parts using an aluminum color. This will be the base for what will follow next with various washes and detail paintings.

I made a decision and went with my first choice. I'm building the plane with the markings that are similar to the Wildcat I saw flying as a kid. It will match an upcoming Corsair project too... one that's about ready to graduate from my Corsair Kindergarten. It will be very similar to the one that Tom Bebout built for our group with the yellow and white markings, in overall Glossy Sea Blue.

So I installed the correct exhaust panels. The inside of the fuselage was sprayed next. I used Interior Green for the cockpit areas, and Dark Sea Blue for the area ahead of the cockpit. I am still on the fence a little about this color combination. In some places I have read where these areas just behind the engine firewall is a Light Gray color.

Time will tell...

There is a good chance I will use another exhaust panel set from this Eduard kit to modify the Hobby Boss FM-2 I have previously started. Then I'll probably build the HB kit up as a training plane that was based in Florida during the War.

The engine mount assembly with accessories like the oil tank and turbo charger was sprayed using Dark Sea Blue too. I'm using MRP paints for this model so far. I really like how they spray.

The cockpit sections were sprayed one I added the kit supplied PE parts for the pilot seat. The cockpit is now ready for detail painting and the addition of more pre painted PE parts.

So far so good...

Thanks for stopping by, and as always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 9 months ago:

Hi Louis (@lgardner): I have never seen that many Wildcats in one place as you had in your Hobby Boss photos. The interior of the FM-2 is looking really good, especially with a some paint on the pieces. I really like the markings on these all-blue fighters that have a little yellow in them. It seems like you always see the planes with white markings, but yellow makes them stand out.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 9 months ago:

This is looking like a FUN build in all ways, Louis @lgardner. Iā€™m enjoying your thread and all the comments.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 9 months ago:

Excellent progress, Louis.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 9 months ago:

Louis @lgardner. Glad I could help in some small way. That whole engine mount thing is a bit tricky but you got it nailed down perfectly.

Not sure if this photo of a late production FM-2 badly trying to trap will help in the debate of landing gear well colors but here we go.
    https://tinyurl.com/FM2WildcatVC70