New Tool 1/48 scale Eduard FM-2 "Wilder Cat" kit number 11175 *** FINISHED ***

Started by Louis Gardner · 117 · 7 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 8 months ago:

This is really looking nice, Louis! Great save with the yellow and decals. I ruined a Revell F-84 trying to mask over decals when I realized I forgot to paint the OD anti-glare areas on the spine.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 8 months ago:

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    David Odenwald (@kahu)
    John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    Tom Cleaver (@tcinla)
    gary sausmikat (@gwskat)
    Eric Berg (@eb801)
    John Healy (@j-healy)

Thank you my friends for the kind words of encouragement. I have not had as much time as I would have liked to had lately, for working on the FM-2. However, I have now since managed to complete the FM-2. I will be posting these latest pictures shortly... but first it's dinner time. I'll post them up in about an hour or so.

I have also taken the pictures that will be a part of the headlines article today.

So please stay tuned.

Thank you all for following along. As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

Ok here we go !
    Yesterday afternoon some good progress was made. Most of the time was spent on the rockets.

The underwing pitot tube was painted Red and glued in position too.
    The rocket parts were carefully cleaned up of the attachment points, assembled and painted. The decals were added next, and I purposefully left some of the decals out of alignment. These are the ordnance lot numbers and such. There is a decal on the actual warhead as well.

I wanted to have this Wildcat look as if it was headed out on a ground support mission, as I wanted a full load of rockets under the wings. So because of this I decided to install both drop tanks. I know that Tom Cleaver has stated they normally carried one while flying a CAP mission. This is true.

However having time to loiter on target would be desirable in ground support missions, so both tanks were likely carried on a ground support mission. These drop tanks were rated to where they could be retained while doing minor aerobatics and things like aileron rolls. I think it was something like a 5G rating going from memory here.

You can see they are both installed here. I have found some pictures showing these planes operating with two drop tanks. In many pictures, the tanks look as if they were painted in a Non Specular White, or possibly a Light Gray color.

I believe this was a carry over from the earlier three tone camouflage, and necessary for the Atlantic ASW scheme as well. It is possible the plane was carrying both drop tanks when it had the landing accident on the USS Nehenta Bay on August 5th, 1945. One is visible on the Port side, and there is something present on the Starboard side, but it's very hard to know for sure about the second one.

The propeller was installed, now it's really looking the part ! Sharp eyed viewers will also note the wing mounted MG barrels have also bee installed at this point. The outer weapon has a barrel that is slightly recessed into the wing, while on the inner MG, the barrel protrudes slightly. The best way to get the distance close, is to use the empty brass casing ejector port as a guide. You can get it close enough if you look at the spacing here. This is very nicely molded under the wing.
    I also took the liberty to paint these empty chutes using a Flat Black today. This makes it look more authentic I think.

The clear parts were added. A word of interest here, is the inner lowest corner of the sliding part of the canopy was painted using "Grumman Gray". This is a small triangular section, only present on the inside of the glass. Eduard got this right here ! This kit has been very well and properly detailed.

It is the very best FM-2 Wildcat kit... ever !

The gun sight was painted and installed. I decided to paint the crash pad using a brown color. It could also be painted using a Black. I thought it would stand out more using the Brown, so that's why I did it this way. Either way is correct.

The pilot's wind screen was also added. You can see how Eduard has included a PE rear view mirror. I used some Molotow chrome to make it look like it was actually a mirror. The fit of the clear parts has been perfect. I used "Future" to secure the glass parts in place.

There is still a little bit more work left to be done at this point... which I completed this morning.

Here is a picture showing how things looked late last night.

There is one more installment coming right up. Please stay tuned... Thanks !

• Profile Photo

This last set of pictures shows how the Wildcat crossed the finish line this morning.

I used EZ Line, and a home made / scratch built spring to act as a radio antennae cable lead tensioner. I also used a thin piece of jewelry beading wire to act as a "whip" antennae that was mounted to the spine of the fuselage on the real FM-2's. There are also two very small clear lights on the fuselage spine, just ahead of the whip antennae.

Here you can see the MG barrels, gun camera lens is installed and how the rockets look. Overall I am very pleased with the outcome of this one.

The signaling lights were added under the fuselage. These are keyed, and will only fit one way. I used Molotow chrome on them first. Once this had dried sufficiently, I came back with some Clear Tamiya paints using the proper colors as you see here.

The clear tail light and arrestor hook were installed.

Here you can see how the empty brass ejection ports were painted using Flat Black. The rockets are also visible too. This is the only Wildcat I have in my built collection that has rockets... I'm super stoked over this. OK I should probably get a life huh ?

I also just noticed that I didn't paint the exhaust part of the rockets yet... Oops ! That will be taken care of now.

These two pictures show the details under the wings. Lots of stuff is going on right here ! I'm glad that I took my time and built this kit up properly. It deserves to be built with care. It's the very best Wildcat kit I have ever built. My hat goes off to Eduard here !

These next three pictures show how the finished Wildcat looks... and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

This is my very first ever Eduard build. I have some more of their kits in the stash, but until I started working on this Wildcat, I had never built anything from them before. I can honestly say I am very impressed as far as building purposes go.

This has been a bit tricky in some places like the turbo charger / oil cooler assembly. But the detail and fit have been spectacular. I have some more Eduard kits in the stash, and you can bet I'll be building more of these.

Here is what she looks like when photographed outside. Today was a beautiful day down here in sunny Florida. Perfect for taking pictures of the completed Eduard "Wilder Cat".

I took the last picture and used "gray scale" to get this look...

I want to thank you for following this build journal. It has been a fun one !

Please look for this one to show up in the headlines section soon.

As always, comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by, and have a good night.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months ago:

Excellent all over, my friend @lgardner! Your attention down to every detail is second to none.
    Congratulations!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months ago:

Impressive result, Louis @lgardner
    So much detail present on this Wilder Cat, for example the antenna spring and the gun barrels.
    Well done.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 8 months ago:

@lgardner: that model is a real humdinger! You've demonstrated that with care on the part of the modeler, an Eduard kit gives the basis for a real winner, which you have here. This looks great!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 8 months ago:

@lgardner
    Congratulations are in order here Louis. Not only have you finally build an Edu kit but you done one with a bang! Beautiful work and details itโ€™s a very colourful FM-2 that will shine among your other pacific fighter collection. Thumbs up!

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 8 months ago:

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 8 months ago:

You certainly built a little stunner, well done. Glad you liked building an Eduard kit.

Just a word of caution with the Eduard 190 kits, if you see one in tan plastic with an engine and open wing cannons just avoid because they are super fiddly. The gray plastic 190 kits without engine are almost Tamiya shake and a complete kit falls out quality.

Again very well done on this Wilder Cat.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 months, 4 weeks ago:
    1/48 scale Eduard FM-2 "Wilder Cat" kit number 11175 USS Nehenta Bay, VC-8 August 5th, 1945. Lt / JG O'Connor
    I posted the completed FM-2 in the headlines section a few days ago. Here is the link to it. Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten) John vd Biggelaar (@johnb) Tom Cleaver (@tcinla) Pedro L. Rocha (@holzhamer) gary sausmikat (@gwskat) David Odenwald (@kahu) I want to thank you all for following along with this build. It was a fun project. I will be building a few Mustangs in 1/48 scale. One of them will be an Eduard P-51D5 Mustang, using their "Overtrees" plastic. It will be a mutual build with Pedro Rocha, Pedro L. Rocha (@holzhamer) and something we have been talking about doing for several years. https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/cadillac-of-the-sky-a-few-p-51-d-made-by-two/ Here is a link for our mutual Mustang builds. Pedro has been working on his, and he has done some outstanding work on his kits... and he is building three of them, all Eduard boxing's. I will still be building some more US Navy planes for the Jim Sullivan group in the near future, but first I must complete our Mustangs... and I can't wait to start cutting some plastic ! There will be 3 Mustangs in 1/48 scale from me, and all will be "firsts". I will be building an Eduard, a Tamiya, and an Airfix P-51D at the same time. So if you are not doing anything, please feel free to come on over and check out what is happening with this WIP. I think you might enjoy it. I know I will. Take care everyone, and thanks again for following along with this FM-2 build. I had a blast building it.
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 7 months, 4 weeks ago:

Definitely looking forward to the Mustang project, Louis @lgardner
    Will be very interesting.