New Tool 1/48 scale Eduard FM-2 "Wilder Cat" kit number 11175 *** FINISHED ***

Started by Louis Gardner · 117 · 8 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 9 months, 1 week ago:

@lgardner - FM-2 overtrees are already available!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 1 week ago:

This start is impressive, Louis @lgardner
    A good choice to build it as the one you saw in your childhood, that will definitely bring back some beautiful memories.
    The HobbyBoss factory looks impressive as well.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 9 months, 1 week ago:

@lgardner
    The level of detail we find inside most Eduard kits is top notch, even without PE parts, and from your pics the Wildcat family follows the splendid details we find in previous releases like the Zero or the Tempest to name a few.
    I really like the all blue liveries, the options you got there are pretty spoiled for choices Louis.
    Looking forward to see next instalments ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @lgardner! This looks to be a superb kit and you make the most out of it. Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 9 months, 1 week ago:

George R Blair Jr (@gblair)
    Thank you for the compliments. I think the yellow color combined with the white for markings will make this one an attractive looking model. This is what drew me to wanting to build the matching Corsair. I'll use one of the Corsairs in the "kindergarten" for that. So look for it to show up soon.

Speaking of the kindergarten, what you saw with the 9 Hobby Boss Wildcats was another one. I will usually start building multiple of the same of very similar kits at the same time. I'll assemble them all at once and paint them all at the same time. I'll get them built to the point where a choice of markings will be picked out is the next step.

The only reason why I have so many of these kits is that for many years when I was working, once a week I would treat myself to a kit or two when I got paid. They would be stored in our house waiting for when the time came that I had time for building. Back then I didn't have hardly any extra free time available. Since I have retired, I have more time for building... but still not as much as I would like to have. It seems there is always something going on that keeps us from our hobby.

Eric Berg (@eb801)
    Thanks for the compliments. I have an update coming right up next, so please stay tuned. By the way, your Corsair is looking great. I'm very happy to hear that Tamiya USA is taking care of you with the needed cowling part.

John Healy (@j-healy)
    Thanks buddy ! I have made a little discovery that might help you when you build your FM-2. I'll be posting what I found in a few, so please stay tuned.

David Odenwald (@kahu)
    Thank you very much for sharing this photo with us. It shows the color on the outside of the wheel well area nicely. I also noticed that even though this later version of the Wildcat has mounts for 6 rockets under the wings, on this particular flight, it was only carrying 4 under the wings. That's actually kind of cool... or I'm an airplane nerd. Maybe a little of both here... ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks again.

Tom Cleaver (@tcinla)
    Hey Tom. I saw the Overtrees are available directly from Eduard, but so far I have not seen any of them available at the vendors I typically use like Sprue Brothers or Squadron Mail Order. I wish they would arrive here in the USA soon. I will have to wait a month before I get some though, because we recently had to put a new set of tires on our truck... and that ate up most of our cash on hand. So if things work out, I will try to get a few of them in a month or so. Meanwhile if you happen to know when someone here in the US gets some in, would you please be kind enough to let me know ? Thanks.

John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    Thank you for the kind words. I wanted to try and build this one up to kind of relive the wonderful memories of that fun weekend I had as a teenager. Times were much simpler back then it seemed. Today I did some more painting on the HB kits when I had the air brush loaded with the colors needed for the Eduard kit. That's one major advantage I like about building these in my usual "Iron Werke" style.

Pedro L. Rocha (@holzhamer)
    I agree we are indeed spoiled with the magnificent decal choices that Eduard has provided us with. They have also spoiled us with a wonderful kit. This is my first time ever building anything from them... and I can say with all sincerity it will not be the last time. Now I'm wondering why I waited so long to give one a try. I had heard / read all of the statements about them being fiddly... but thankfully so far this one has not been at all. I'm hoping this continues to be the normal during the build.

Like you, I really like the overall GSB schemes. The Atlantic ASW and FAA schemes are really cool too.
    So it really is a hard choice. I want to get some more of these in the overtrees form, so I can build a few Stateside training planes too. You will not have to wait much longer as I have another installment coming right up.

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    Thank you my friend. Yes sir this is indeed an excellent kit. Please stay tuned as I have another installment coming up next...

So with this, here we go. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Profile Photo

Here is tonight's installment:

Remember when I mentioned earlier that I was not too sure about the color call out for the area ahead of the cockpit, inside the fuselage ? The area where the landing gear retracts up into and the engine mount, oil tank, and turbo charger are all located behind the firewall is specifically what I'm talking about.

The instructions call for this area to be painted in the same color as the outside of the aircraft, or the same as the underside color.

I don't think this is entirely correct. Instead I believe it was more often than not painted using what has been called "Grumman Gray". Here's why...

Some years ago a very well preserved FM-2 was pulled up from the Great Lakes. It was in remarkably good condition, as were most of the planes that were recovered from this area. It was a time capsule of sorts, and shows how these planes were when in service. It still had air in the tires !

I scoured the internet and found some really good pictures of this FM-2 that is being restored. I zoomed in on what I found, in order to get a better closer look at the paint colors.

What I found confirmed my earlier suspicions. In all of these following pictures you can see how the Light Gray color is visible in these areas. You have to look beyond the muscles and sea grown vegetation.

In this last photo you can see how the FM-2 is being repainted the way it was found. However, the area where the wheel / tire would retract over is still in a Light Gray color. I believe this area should be the same as the surrounding underside colors. In this case, it should be GSB, which is also visible in many WW2 era photos too.

So now I'm 99 percent sure this presumption is correct, even though some have claimed that Eastern painted these FM-2's differently than how Grumman did with the F4F series. I think these photos show it was done just like Grumman did it, at least in some of the production blocks anyhow.

What I "think" Eduard is telling us to do is this.

Paint the area behind where the main wheel and tire assembly retracts over, in the same colors used as found on the bottom side of the aircraft. Here you can see it was done like this. The Dark Sea Blue is sprayed over the top of the Light Gray. You can also see more Light Gray paint visible inside, and it's especially visible on the engine mount and landing gear supports.

so... I loaded up the air brush and repainted what I did last night... It looks "White" in my pictures because of the lighting. It's actually a Light Gray color.

Here you can see the fresh Light Gray that I sprayed directly over the previously painted Dark Sea Blue. The Light Gray I sprayed on today looks like it is a White color, but that's due to the lighting. Trust me, it's Light Gray and not White. ๐Ÿ™‚

This is a great picture I found online of a Wright R-1820. This is the same type of engine that was used in the FM-2. I suspected the color call outs mentioned by Eduard for the engine too. They would have you paint the crank case in an aluminum color.

Last night I painted mine that way too... but it bothered me. I thought every WW2 era American radial engine I've seen was painted with the crankcase in a Light Gray. Aluminum would likely be true if the engine was used in a Sherman tank... but since these engines were destined for use in a salt air environment, I believe they should be a Light Gray color...and not left in a natural as cast color. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Here's a great picture showing the accessories on the back of the engine... The magnetos, carburetor, starter, generator and so on are all painted Black.

So I repainted the Aluminum color using Engine Gray. I completed the engine, so now it will be ready to install soon.

This is what it looks like after a final wash was applied. I think Eduard got it right with how the plastic parts for the engine should look. Other than adding the decals, this part is done.

Since I was painting Black, I painted the smaller details on the cockpit parts. Tomorrow I will start adding the PE parts, paint the landing gear retraction chain, and hopefully seal up the cockpit.

Thanks for stopping by.
    As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 1 week ago:

As always, amazing research and ditto result, my friend @lgardner! Your color selection rocks! The engine looks super, as does the cockpit!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Some solid progress, Louis @lgardner
    Both, engine and interior do look great.
    Thanks for sharing the research information, very interesting.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 9 months, 1 week ago:

@lgardner. Very good and useful research on this. Thanks for the effort.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Now that I am caught up with all the reading and the research you have implemented in your WIP. Funny it was the initial Wildcat kit that Eduards first released late last that ended being my very first Eduards kit ever. Having picked up a few and no negative review will keep my from building one in the first place anything and everything is fiddly these days. That is the nature of the hobby and the fun part in overcoming them. Like this kit your building now it just talked to me to build it, and that was the motivation and it was my first Eduards, and yeah I am quite surprised how long it took to finally build it. It is a bit fiddly but it is also fulfilling as you have built the Tamiya kit, it is a nice easy does it build. The HB kits I have no clue as I have not attempted one or even have one to look at. The production line is definetly working. Among the other stuff on hold (KWGB projects). I should get mine this week. Looks like your having fun. Lots of note taking on this one.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Great research and photos, Louis (@lgardner). It is interesting how the cockpit and the engine retraction area are so closely related on this plane. Engine and cockpit look really nice. I think we both acquired kits the same way when we were working. I would fly a C-141 at least once each month to places like Japan and South Korea, and I would visit local hobby shops and stock up on kits like Hasegawa, Academy, Hobbycraft, and so on. I could get the kits for a fraction of what they cost in the states, and the shop owners would pack them for me and send them in the mail. The good old days. :o)

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Excellent catch on the landing gear bay color, Louis. I canโ€™t remember if Pensacola has one on display. I might take a drive over this week to check.
    I also noticed the kitโ€™s decal sheet has two sets of instruments which will be useful for the overtree builds. On the downside, the mustard color ring on the British roundels isnโ€™t very impressive.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Louis @lgardner, thank you for the research. You are really cranking along on finishing this kit to a very good standard.

I'll take a stab at deducing the logic behind General Motors still using the light gray on the FM-2 interior spaces. Ease of maintenance. Very hard to spot leaks or other issues against such a dark color as Gloss Sea Blue. Or once the gear was up there was no need to paint the interior Gloss Sea Blue to camouflage the plane.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Louis @lgardner - you're moving pretty fast on this Wildcat. Impressive work and research here. Valuable and much appreciated. I will be using your build as I guide once I get my hands on this kit.

• Profile Photo

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)
    Tom Cleaver (@tcinla)
    Chuck A. Villanueva (@uscusn)
    George R Blair Jr (@gblair)
    John Healy (@j-healy)
    David Odenwald (@kahu)
    Eric Berg (@eb801)

Hello my friends. I'm sorry but I have to keep this reply short. I'll make a better response back to you all again soon. Right now I'm pressed for time.

Thank you for the kind words.

I was able to complete the engine mount assembly and cockpit today. I glued the fuselage halves together.

The fit is incredible ! I don't think any filler will be needed on the seams... but,

I also have made a HUGE mistake with assembling the turbo charger. It doesn't fit properly.

I think I might have had the turbo housing oriented backwards when I installed the two duct work tubes on it.

Because of this, the lower fuselage insert ahead of the wheels and below the engine will not fit.

So I carefully removed the turbo assembly, and will cut off the tubes, hopefully orienting them properly next time.

I'm going to go back now and edit the pictures and write up explaining what happened just in case someone is following along close behind me, using this journal as a road map if you will.

Tomorrow if I have more time, I'll come back and edit this posting, explaining what you see in these pictures.

Thanks again for stopping by, and as always, comments are encouraged.

18 attached images. Click to enlarge.