SNJ-3 Texan: 1/48 Modelcraft or Revell (Game time decision)

Started by George R Blair Jr · 232 · 7 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

George R Blair Jr (@gblair)
    These are some excellent photos. Thanks for sharing these with us. I'm glad to help with the information about seats too. I knew I had some pictures of you were asking about, I just had to dig in order to find them.

I really do like the multi colored versions of the T-6 / SNJ. These training planes were often painted like this. The Green stripes shown on the SNJ illustration I posted earlier were to designate a navigational or instrument training plane.

I have 3 of the old 1/48 scale Monogram kits in the stash. I wanted to build one up for our Korean War group, but never even got it going. So you might have just triggered my dragging one of them out of the stash to build the NAS Deland SNJ. I think the one from NAS Deland that I wanted to build was an aluminum color overall, just like you mentioned. There's a good chance I will start the SNJ's in a mini Kindergarten like I have done with some other types. This will let me pick out which one I want to complete them as later.

As a kid I got to ride in a T-6 once... You couldn't wipe the smile off my face for a month afterwards either !

Ahhh the honey do list. I have been working on one of them too lately. Which is part of the reason why I didn't get to finish up the FM-2 any sooner than I did. It's done now, and I have been "hankering" to build a SBD (also from NAS Deland), and possibly one or two of the Hobby Boss Wildcats in the Kindergarten. Recently I found a great picture of a FM-2 from NAS Miami. I wanted to build several other Wildcats as training planes from Daytona Beach, Deland, and Sanford. Sadly, we don't see too many models built up of training planes. If I have my way about fixing this, things will change soon.

The T-6 I am thinking about building is molded in red, since it is the Air Racing version that is boxed together along with a "Miss America" Mustang... and speaking of Mustangs, I have been itching to do one of them lately too. Pedro Rocha and I will likely be doing a mutual P-51 build soon.

Just like you said, so many models, and so little time... I hear ya !

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Wow, your scratch built seats are a huge improvement, George @gblair. Lots of cleanup ahead on those ancient molded sprue parts I’m guessing, but you have a lot of good backup goodies there. I’m interested to hear what you have to say about those Quinta Studio 3D decals. That looks like a challenging but worthy paint scheme you’re considering. I’d go for it.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks, Louis (@lgardner). Having been an instructor pilot, I am always looking for trainers to do. It always seems hard to find WW2 photos of trainers. I guess they used all the film taking pictures of fighters and bombers. I found a free 3D print file online for a P-51 seat. It is designed for RC airplanes, so I will need to scale it down quite a bit. We'll see how it comes out.

Thanks, Eric (@eb801). I have used a set of Quinta before, as well as a set from Kits World. Both work well, but require some different techniques. They seem like decals, since you soak them in water, but that is where the similarity ends. You can't use any decal fluids on them, and the manufacturers also recommend that you glue them in place with a little superglue. I used some Gator glue on both sets and it worked fine. It is pretty easy to move them into place and they are fairly flexible. I really like the 3D aspect of them, and both come with a clear lens over the instruments. This will be my 3rd set of these 3D decals, so we will see how they go, especially since they are designed for another kit.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great start, my friend @gblair! Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Impressive start, George @gblair.
    Especially your work on the seats is amazing, both look great.
    Those Quinta decals will improve the interior a lot.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

@lgardner - that SNJ looks overall aluminum.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

@gblair - Having quite a bit of passenger time in both P-51s and T-6s I can assure you the seats in the T-6 are not the same as the P-51. The cleanup you did of the kit seats is excellent.

• Profile Photo

Tom Cleaver (@tcinla)
    I agree with you about the NAS Deland SNJ being in an overall aluminum color. It also looks to me as if it was a painted finish, instead of the occasional bare metal variety. I do plan to build up this very same aircraft soon. Chances are it will also be a part of the JS group, and I'll be sure to start a build journal for it too when the time comes.

Thank you for the comments about the colors on that particular plane. I do sincerely appreciate them.

I also agree the work that George is doing on his model is indeed excellent.

Tom,
    As far as the T-6 / SNJ seats being different from a P-51 that's not exactly true. There were two different style of seats used in the P-51 Mustang. One style was called the Warren McAllister style, and the other was called the Schick Johnson type. They are two completely different seats.

The Warren McAllister style is the kind that was used in both type of aircraft, the T-6 / SNJ and the Mustang. I too have flown in a "Texan" but only once. I was a teenager at the time when I was fortunate to get a ride in one. I have also sat in numerous Mustangs as work was being done to them.

Here is a link that shows the style of seat I mentioned was indeed used in both planes.

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/324307-warren-mcallister-p-51d-t-6-pilots-seat/

Since both planes were being manufactured by North American, it made good sense to have some parts that interchanged between various aircraft.

Hope this helps to clear up the air some. Take care.

• Profile Photo

Tom Cleaver (@tcinla)
    I agree with you about the NAS Deland SNJ being in an overall aluminum color. It also looks to me as if it was a painted finish, instead of the occasional bare metal variety. I do plan to build up this very same aircraft soon. Chances are it will also be a part of the JS group, and I'll be sure to start a build journal for it too when the time comes.

Thank you for the comments about the colors on that particular plane. I do sincerely appreciate them.

I also agree the work that George is doing on his model is indeed excellent.

Tom,
    As far as the T-6 / SNJ seats being different from a P-51 that's not exactly true. There were two different style of seats used in the P-51 Mustang. One style was called the Warren McAllister style, and the other was called the Schick Johnson type. They are two completely different seats.

The Warren McAllister style is the kind that was used in both type of aircraft, the T-6 / SNJ and the Mustang. I too have flown in a "Texan" but only once. I was a teenager at the time when I was fortunate to get a ride in one. I have also sat in numerous Mustangs as work was being done to them.

Here is a link that shows the style of seat I mentioned was indeed used in both planes.

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/324307-warren-mcallister-p-51d-t-6-pilots-seat/

Since both planes were being manufactured by North American, it made good sense to have some parts that interchanged between various aircraft.

Occasionally the Warren McAllister type is called the Warren McArthur style. So I'm not exactly sure which terminology is correct about the name.

This is a picture of the SNJ-4 cockpit from the NASM. It's hard to see the entire seat in this picture, but you can see part of the lower seat pan that the pilot sits on. There is one small difference here, and that is how the rolled edge is formed on the seat bottom. This might be due in part to a minor design change, or possibly done in order to make it easier to mass produce them.

This is a picture that I personally took of a restored Mustang cockpit with the seat installed. The seats are the same in this particular application.

The other Mustang seat style called the "Schick Johnson" kind is more "squared" and this might be what you were referring to.

This style of "Mustang" seat was made using aluminum, and another version of it was made using plywood, to conserve aluminum during the War. It was used in various other WW2 American aircraft.

Hope this helps to clear up the air some. Take care.

I'm sure what George has done here will look really good once it's all painted and installed, especially in a 1/48 scale.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). I was hoping not to do much additional work on this kit, but I really needed to fix the seats. The trouble with doing stuff like this is that once you get started, there always seems to be one more thing you want to do.

Thanks for the photos, info, and discussion, Tom (@tcinla) and Louis (@lgardner). I really don't know much about the seats in either a T-6 or a P-51. My flying experience in trainers is limited to one hour in a Stearman biplane and 1500 hours or so in a T-37. Neither is helpful with this model. I can tell you that it is unexpectedly difficult to find good photos of the T-6/SNJ seat online. I found one distant photo of a restoration project with the metal skin missing in the cockpit area. Looking through the cockpit framework and all of the various black boxes and piping, it appears the front seat looks similar to the square P-51 seat, and the back seat looks similar to the rounded P-51 seat. I don't really know if they are the same seat or not. I have several books in my library on the T-6, and I can find all of the photos I could want looking forward from the seat area at the front and back instrument panels, but none that shows the seats. I found a couple of inexpensive books on Amazon, so hopefully they will have some photos. One of the books is a reprint of the pilot's manual. It is a little frustrating that I can find a photo of the seat in an obscure WW2 plane of which only 20 were ever made, but it is really hard to find photos of the seat in a T-6, which had thousands made.

I have always had a theory that people who look at models tend to look first at the place where the people are, in other words, at the cockpit. Their first impression of the model is formed in that first look at the cockpit. So, having a nice cockpit makes up for other areas that aren't so detailed. I have always felt that a cockpit is improved 100% by simply adding a resin ejection seat or putting in some PE seat belts. I don't know if any of this is true, but it is how I approach my kits now. This, of course, isn't true of models going to a contest. But I think it may be true of casual visitors to my model display case.

Anyway, my plan is to continue to work with the seats I have re-done according to the one photo I have. When my new references show up, I can see if there are any photos that might help. The only other work I want to do, other than adding the Quinta set, is to replace the foot troughs in the back cockpit. I am already doing more than I planned for this kit, so I hope to claw myself out of this rabbit hole and get moving on the rest of the kit.

Thanks for all the good comments and info. I am tucking all of the this info into my mental database for use on my next Texans I build. Cheers everyone.

• Profile Photo

I decided to remove and replace the foot troughs in the rear cockpit, as well as those in front. My goal was to remove the troughs one at a time in an effort to retain the geometry of the floor framework. It slots into holes along the side of the fuselage, so keeping everything lined up would be nice. Scratchbuilding missing details often begins to feed on itself. You add or correct one thing, and then decide to do another, which leads to another, and soon you are scratchbuilding the whole cockpit. In an effort to keep from being pulled too far into the hole, I have been looking for 3D printing files that I can use to speed things along. I have found some really interesting things. I found a file for the burner cans on an F-15, I found files to print a complete F4U Corsair cockpit for a radio control plane, a complete F7F cockpit, and another for a P-51. Each cockpit consists of about 40 parts that need to be printed, but I wanted to see if I could print a seat that would work for this model. The cockpits are for a quarter-scale RC plane, which is quite large. I found the file for the seat, which was a chore since the file names are written in Czechoslovakian (Thank you, Google Translate). I took a couple of shots at scaling the seat to 1/48. The first one came out close to 1/72, but the second try matches the size of the seat in the T-6 almost exactly. The sides and back of the print are scale thickness, which means they are very, very thin. I plan to print some more seats tomorrow and begin exploring if I can use them in this model.

That's about it for today. We have friends coming over tomorrow, so my wife has had me on cleaning duty for most of the day. We actually had some rain yesterday. It lasted about 3 minutes. Certainly not a drought-buster, but it did drop the temperature down to 95 degrees for a while. Everyone in the neighborhood was outside staring at the water falling out of the sky. We haven't had rain for about 90 days. It would be a good thing if we could get a bunch of rain, otherwise we will have an interesting spring and summer coming next year. Cheers everyone.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

When it rains it pours ! Well maybe not all of the time. We have a large recycled plastic 300 gallon stock pond setup for our back yard for use if we ever lose our electricity since we have a well instead of city water. It comes in very handy during the hurricane season. I can relate to going through the drought conditions you have ben having lately. We had a similar situation way back in 1998, and that particular summer it was very hot, dry, and downright nasty with brush fires consuming a good part of the State. Hopefully you guys will start to get some decent rainfall soon.

Those 3D printed seats look amazing ! Man I need to get me a printer and a cutter like you use... maybe for Christmas. Time will tell. This would open up endless possibilities for building all kinds of neat stuff.

I went a bit deeper into the T6 / SNJ "rabbit hole" today looking for some more information about them. It seems there are even more kinds of seats that were used in these planes. I found some really good pictures of a seat on EBay today of all places !

This one is a wooden seat that looks nearly identical to the ones you printed out. The main difference I see is the shape of the holes where the seat back meets the seat bottom.

This particular seat I found today has some metal parts on it, but the majority of the construction is made of wood. It was also listed as being for a Canadian version of the plane, called the "Harvard", and the seller claims the seat has a parts tag on it dating from 1955.

This seat looks a lot like the wooden version of the "Schick Johnson" Mustang seat that I mentioned earlier in a previous post yesterday.

It could also be the same kind of seat that our friend Tom Cleaver was talking about as well with his T6 experiences.
    Tom Cleaver (@tcinla)

Here is the metal version of the Schick Johnson seat, which was used in the Mustang, and you can see the similarities.

So it is beginning to appear as if there were quite a few different seat options available for use these planes.

I’m beginning to think that there could have possibly been even more examples of seats that were used in the various versions of the Texan.

One of the reasons why I wanted to check on this is because I also wanted to build my SNJ kit very soon, and I thought there is no better time than the present to check in on this.

I'll start a separate build journal for mine when I start cutting the plastic. My T6 / SNJ is part of a two model kit shown here. It came with a separate 1/48 Mustang. It's molded in Red plastic too ! The Mustang is molded in White plastic though.

Your model is going to look fantastic ! Those 3D seats you printed are simply stunning too. The burner can for the F-15 is equally as impressive. I'm sure you will figure out the engine too.

Incredible... Thanks for sharing this with us.

I’m definitely taking notes on how you are modifying the floor. The work you are doing looks great too !

I’m definitely looking forward to reading your next installment.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Those 3D printed parts look great, George. I had several rides in an SNJ way back in the ‘70s and kind of remember the seats with the open sides and diagonal bar. Hopefully the Occidental canopies fit better than the parts in the Monogram kit I built a couple of years ago. I only used the windscreen and got vac replacements for the other sections.

With regard to the replacement wing color: I’d lean toward dark sea blue over white. I can’t remember seeing an overall wartime glossy sea blue SNJ. I think the navy was receiving them and keeping them in bare metal later in the war. It was post war when they were painted overall yellow.

• Profile Photo

Hi, John (@j-healy): From what I can tell, the seat with the diagonal bar was in the back cockpit, and a seat with sheet metal sides was in the front. I am using the Revell/Monogram kit and will attack the Occidental/Italeri kits on the next builds. It is interesting trying to decode the paint(s) on this plane. The vertical stabilizer and rudder are definitely a lighter blue, which would match the 3-color scheme, but the dark blue seems to cover all of the visible fuselage which wouldn't seem to match the 3-color scheme. The new wing panel is definitely a dark blue, which would match the late war paint scheme. Painting this to match the photo should be fun.

• Profile Photo

Louis (@lgardner): I don't know whether you want to do an early or late T-6/SNJ, but check the canopy in the kit if you want to do an early one. This kit has been released many times over the years, and some of the kits have only the late canopy, some have only the early canopy, and some have both. Mine had both canopies, but only one windscreen. Red plastic will be just as much fun to paint as my bright yellow.

On another topic: Are you and your wife in the track of this hurricane? It sounds like it is going to build into something big. The super warm Gulf waters are really making these unpredictable, so please stay safe. Cheers.