Finished! 1/48 Bird Cage F4U-1, Sullivan GB

Started by Eric Berg · 118 · 6 months ago · Aviation, Birdcage Corsair, F4U, F4U-1, Jim Sullivan Group Build, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Seems like everyone in this group is building a Corsair which appears to be the late Jim Sullivan's fave plane. I'll toss my hat in the ring and honor Jim with my build of this venerable Tamiya kit using references from his "F4U Corsair in Action" book.

I've already built this kit once before when I resumed building models again back in the 90's. Tamiya's Corsair kit was one of the first I tackled but I was rusty and it turned out just so so. I booted it out of the case years ago. I picked up this kit from a vendor at the annual Silicon Valley Scale Modelers' show in San Jose about 15 yrs ago.

Extras in the Box:

• Eagle Strike decals

• Aires resin cockpit set

• CMK resin control surfaces

• UltraCast resin seat

• UltraCast late style wheels (probably won't use them)

• True details - early wheels - definitely won't use these

• Eduard canopy mask

Looking forward to starting this kit very soon.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 1 week ago:

A very nice entry with a full packed kit, Eric @eb801
    Looking forward as well to see this kit progressing.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Eric Berg (@eb801)
    One can never have too many Corsairs. By the sounds of things, this one should be a real looker with all of the extra stuff you have for it.

Like our friend John, I too will be watching for updates.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 1 week ago:

A wonderful entry, my friend @eb801! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 10 months, 1 week ago:

LET'S GO! 👍👍

• Profile Photo

Proposed Markings

@gwskat, @lgardner, @johnb, @fiveten:
    Thanks for the positive motivations fellow modelers. I came across this photo in Jim’s Corsair book: H-100. It has the red star and bars. I'm going to use these markings. Something a bit different.

Is that damage on the tail?

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 1 week ago:

A nice choice, Eric @eb801
    Not sure about the possible damage. At first I thought it could be a scfratch on the photograph, but than the entire picture should have more more smaller damages.

• Profile Photo

@johnb: I agree 100% Note the rudder continues the distortion pattern. There is s lot of “noise” in that photo not surprisingly and no doubt taken with the sun behind the aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 1 week ago:

A great choice indeed, my friend @eb801! I am also not sure about the possible "damage" at the rear.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Like the choice. Looks like it can be the same insignia used on your Hellcat and that will make this stand out nicely. Good luck with the build...you'll do it justice!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

The Build Begins

I finally got around to starting this Tamiya Corsair build. Of course I started with the front office. I had intended to use an Aires resin cockpit set that I must have acquired back in the 90's. The parts had turned yellow and seemed very brittle. After reading Tom Cleaver's "Corsair 101" article from years ago over at MM, I have to agree, Tamiya's cockpit is excellent as is, so I went with that. For the instrument gauges I used decals from Mike Grant and Airscale. The resin seat with belts is an old one from Ultracast. I decided to use Chromate yellow for the lower parts and an early "interior green" for the rest (Taimya XF-5). I really enjoy constructing cockpits - my fave part of a build. Next up: preparing the fuselage and adding some resin parts.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

A fine looking interior, Eric @eb801
    I agree with you that work on the interior is a nice thing do, despite the fact that most of it will be barely visible.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Awesome interior, my friend @eb801!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Parts Painted - Engine Ready

Thanks Spiros @fiveten and John @johnb.

All the parts that need to be painted yellow chromate have been finished. And the engine and cowl is ready and awaiting instillation. Since Tamiya has provided spark plug holes on the cylinder, I am considering wiring the engine. Then on to assembling the fuselage.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 9 months, 1 week ago:

@eb801: The actual color for a Corsair "birdcage" cockpit is Dull Dark Green (according to later research that came out after "Corsair 101"), for which Tamiya VF-71 "Black Green" is a good approximation.

Do note that that trainer is such an early airplane that it still has the all-round cowling flaps, which likely means it has Salmon wheel wells and rear fuselage interior - that might have been overpainted with the underside color, and that might allow Salmon to show through.