Finished! 1/48 Bird Cage F4U-1, Sullivan GB

Started by Eric Berg · 118 · 6 months ago · Aviation, Birdcage Corsair, F4U, F4U-1, Jim Sullivan Group Build, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 7 months, 1 week ago:

@eb801, thanks for the warning, Eric. Looking to see your solution with a brass one.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 7 months, 1 week ago:

Love your final touches, my friend @eb801!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 7 months ago:

@lgardner, @fiveten, @johnb @gblair, @garybrantley and others who followed along.

99.5% Finished!

I suppose there's always some more to do but I am calling this Corsair "Finished".

The kit antenna mast proved a bit too flexible so I made a new one out of brass tubing hammered flat and ground to shape with a Dremel.

Now I am able to attached the EZ Line antenna wire without it bending like the kit part did. I added white glue for the insulator and rubber shock tail attachment. The kit pitot tube got tweaked when I dropped it on the floor and accidentally rolled over it with my chair. I almost replaced it with a cut sewing needle but I managed to bend it back into acceptable shape:

Finished! (At least I think so.) Off to the photo studio and headlines. Will post soon.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 7 months ago:

Great work, Eric (@eb801). Nice fix for the flexible antenna post. The Early T-6 I am building has a tall antenna, so we will see if it's flexible as well. It was fun to follow the build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, George @gblair. Styrene antenna masts always present issues. I went to an air museum over the weekend and they must have a thousand of donated "grandpa's" models (docent quote) all over the place. Very few had antennas. It's way easier on one's head to ignore them, as you referred to in earlier comment. Increases the chances of creating a total fiasco. Good luck with yours.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 7 months ago:

The brass antenna is a big improved, Eric @eb801
    You created an excellent Corsair, looking forward to see her on the headlines.
    Yours is a perfect example on how mine should look like, but it will be hard to achieve your quality build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 7 months ago:

Fantastic finish, my friend @eb801! An excellent looking Corsair!

• Profile Photo

One More Thing...

Later Birdcage sliding canopies had a rear view mirror mounted at the front end of the "bulge'. I cut a tiny rectangle of sheet styrene, painted it chrome enamel and Gator-glued it into position and attached the sliding canopy in the open position. Now I really am finished!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 7 months ago:

This came out really nicely, Eric (@eb801). The paint and decals are perfect. I have been wrestling with the same paint scheme for my SNJ, and I think your Tamiya mix for the blue/gray is perfect. I think I will use the same formula. Well done.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 months ago:

Eric Berg (@eb801)
    I'm going to echo what George said. I think you nailed it ! Looks excellent, and I can't wait to see it in the headlines section. I really like how the open cowling flaps look. That turned out very well too. This is your best one yet !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 7 months ago:

An awesome result, my friend @eb801!
    Congratulations!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 7 months ago:

The above gentlemen are right about everything, Eric @eb801
    An amazing result and that tiny mirror is a great addition.
    Well done.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Eric Berg (@eb801)
    She looks great in the headlines section ! Two thumbs up buddy... 🙂