Finished! 1/48 Bird Cage F4U-1, Sullivan GB

Started by Eric Berg · 118 · 7 months ago · Aviation, Birdcage Corsair, F4U, F4U-1, Jim Sullivan Group Build, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 8 months ago:

Man, that looks great, Eric @eb801! 👍 That is a very attractive paint scheme and as usual, excellent craftsmanship throughout! I'll be getting in touch with you soon, thanks for the head's up! 😃

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 months, 4 weeks ago:

Eric Berg (@eb801)
    Awesome work here ! I especially like how the signaling lights turned out. They turned out fantastic, and she looks great being able to stand up on her own feet. It won't be long now...

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

Standing Up at Last!
    Here we go! Up on its two legs. The excellent wheels are kit supplied and I saw no need for an aftermarket replacement unless one wants the "sagged" look. Weathering and antenna rigging is next. I think I can see the finish line up ahead.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looking excellent, my friend @eb801! Finish line is practically crossed!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looks really good, Eric @eb801
    On to a perfect finish.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

I always feel better when my models are sitting on their own legs, Eric (@eb801). Sort of a milestone at the end of a build. This is a real standout, Eric.

• Profile Photo

Almost Finished!

Made a lot of progress since I last posted. Kit antenna mast flexes a bit more than I would like. I should have made my own metal substitute. I strung the main antenna using fine EZ Line. I have one more antenna cable to go plus adding wire shocks and insulators. Oil stains and dirt applied. Just need to add pitot tube and the bottom tie down hook and I should be finished in a day or two. Oh,I need to add a white recognition light on the top of the starboard wing in front of the blue formation light.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

This is looking very nice @eb801.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looking great!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent, my friend @eb801!

• Profile Photo

Absolutely great, Eric @eb801

• Profile Photo

Additional Minor Details

I have added the starboard wing white recognition light using white glue. Also added an antenna insulator to the forward antenna mast (the kit part flexes at the top due to the wire tension. Not much you can do about this beside fabricating a replacement mast from a piece of brass.) Some touch up is needed where the post meets the fuselage. Also added some spillage around the leading edge fuel caps for the wing tanks, both sides. All I need to do now is finish attaching the diagonal antenna wire and install the pitot tube and I can call this "finished".

• Profile Photo

Minor but great additions, Eric @eb801
    Did you also use white glue to create the insulator.

• Profile Photo

John @johnb - yes I did use white glue. However I am not happy with the flex of the antenna due to tightening the wire, otherwise the wire will sag if I don't. So back to the metal shop to fabricate a brass mast replacement. The kit mast is not stiff enough so if you don't want to go to a lot of minor hassle, leave the antenna wire off.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looks great, Eric (@eb801). Antenna wires are my personal nemesis. Adding one pretty much exhausts my patience. But you added 2, plus an insulator. Well done.