Vought F4U-1A Corsair (Tamiya 1/48)

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 311 · 4 months ago · 1/48, Corsair, F4U-1A, Tamiya, Vought
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros

@tcinla, thanks for the advice, Tom. She definitely needs some stains by looking at those builds, I will work on that.

@gblair, thank you, George.

@eb801, thanks, Eric. I will definitely check and add some stains.

• Profile Photo

Let's hope the pilot has a bit more confidence in his engine after adding some more stains.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

I don’t know how I missed this one, John. It’s looking really good! Nice bathroom too……

• Profile Photo

@j-healy, thanks a lot, John.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Oh, yes! Now it is a fully operational example, my friend @johnb!
    Looks fantastic!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 1 week ago:

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros

• Profile Photo

Working with CA is always a risky moment but as far as I know they only way to attach the antenna wire.

Used Uschi van der Rosten as wire and added the antenna mast.

She is ready to receive a clear coat but current temperature conditions in the Netherlands are not that great to spray outdoor or in the garage. On avergae 0 degree celcius, 32 fahrenheit.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Looking awesome, my friend @johnb! Yup, too cold to spray 🙁

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Looks great John (@johnb). You've done the Vought company proud with this build.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Looks like a winner with those exhausts stains you added and the antenna is such a nice touch, John @johnb. You’re a clear coat away from the finish line!

Uschi and EZ Line both work superbly with just the tiniest drop of CA glue Don’t you think? . When I goof up the antenna and have to redo it, I just scrape the old glue off the edge of the mast vertically with a knife blade and start over. When putting the thread in a hole, I dunk the tip of the thread in ca glue using a tweezer and stick it in there while the glue is still wet ASAP before it sets, holding it in place and count to 20. Most of the time, there’s no noticeable mess. After it dries I put a extra tiny dab of glue where the thread meets the styrene topside. Use white glue for insulators. We need @lgardner to give us a lesson how he makes his antenna spring attachments.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 months, 1 week ago:

John vd Biggelaar (@johnb)

I'm going to jump on the band wagon and echo what has been said above... Your Corsair looks much better now. These Pacific Corsairs were beat up on all the time, and the environment in which they operated was harsh. Many units shared the same aircraft with each other, so keeping them clean wasn't a priority. But keeping them in the air was more urgent.

You are almost ready to call this one done. Looks great too I should add. 🙂

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros. Since there is no forecast with higher temperatures, I might try to heat the garage a bit.

@clipper, thanks, Carl

@eb801, thanks a lot for sharing, Eric. In this case I used a toothpick to add a small drop of CA. This time it went quite well but I'm always afraid something irreversible might happen with that nasty glue.

@lgardner, thank you, Louis. Maybe I will add some more weathering on the upper surface.

• Profile Photo
    tom jenkins said 5 months, 1 week ago:

John, been following this build and it has turned out great!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 months, 1 week ago:

This really looks good now @johnb. You've done great work here and have a model to be proud of.

• Profile Photo

@tjenks, thank you, Tom
    @tcinla, thanks a lot, Tom
    Waiting for the right temperature to get the clear coat on, outdoor temperature dropped till -4 dc (24 F).